Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Compressor died

CROOZ1N

Corvette
1993 Torch red coupe
I started the car up last weekend at a parade and the AC strted out cold then started getting warm. I had the top out and thinking that the A/C wasnt cold because it was idling I revved the motor a bit. Still warm air ,Then smpke from under hood!! I shut it down raised hood and thankfully no flames. I started the car back up with the AC off and it started and ran fine until I started the AC when the clutch engaged the compressor was trying to lock up and slinging oil from the front shaft.

So now I have the compressor off accumulator and all lines as well.

I dont think its been converted because of the valve type but I'm not 100% sure. The oil that came out of the lines is green color like anti freeze almost.

The question at hand is what do I flush the lines with?
I have a friend with a pump and stuff to do the evac and R134a to put back in.
I just want to be sure to do it the best I can and not have to re do it.
I realize I need to replace all the O-rings and add either a ford blue orifice or smart valve per GM Junkies recomendation. (By the way the old O valve has a bunch of shavings on it)

My biggest concern is getting the evap and condensor cleaned out.

Advice please.

Thanks

I started the car up last weekend at a parade and the AC strted out cold then started getting warm. I had the top out and thinking that the A/C wasnt cold because it was idling I revved the motor a bit. Still warm air ,Then smpke from under hood!! I shut it down raised hood and thankfully no flames. I started the car back up with the AC off and it started and ran fine until I started the AC when the clutch engaged the compressor was trying to lock up and slinging oil from the front shaft.

So now I have the compressor off accumulator and all lines as well.

I dont think its been converted because of the valve type but I'm not 100% sure. The oil that came out of the lines is green color like anti freeze almost.

The question at hand is what do I flush the lines with?
I have a friend with a pump and stuff to do the evac and R134a to put back in.
I just want to be sure to do it the best I can and not have to re do it.
I realize I need to replace all the O-rings and add either a ford blue orifice or smart valve per GM Junkies recomendation. (By the way the old O valve has a bunch of shavings on it)

My biggest concern is getting the evap and condensor cleaned out.

Advice please.

Thanks
I use a Citrus based Bio-Degradable AC flush I get at a auto supply warehouse,FJC makes a excellent Flush solvent too!:thumbI have a Flush gun made ex-specially for AC systems,but you can pour the required amount of solvent into the components and then follow with Compressed air!! You will really need to remove the condenser to flush it good,It's going to have the most trash from the compressor in it!!:thumb:thumb:thumb If you can find a Smart valve("VOV" variable orifice valve),that will be great!! There well worth the $$ even though they have went up in price a little,if not the Ford Blue will work almost as well!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Heres a little refresher on Retro Fitting!!:thumb

attachment.php

PS You don't have to use Ester Oil,It needs to be 134a compatible though!!

Also what about reman AC compressor units from Advance Auto?

Will they be set up internally to run with 134a?

If not Advance where w/out spending 700 bucks for one?

Also what about reman AC compressor units from Advance Auto?

Will they be set up internally to run with 134a?

If not Advance where w/out spending 700 bucks for one?
All remans will probly have 134 compatible oil in them!!:thumb
I don't know about Advance Remans,I get All my AC components from a Automotive Parts Supply Warehouse that services Dealers Only!!
I can get New Chinese compressors for about $300-$450 or I can get Genuine for $500-$650 depending the vehicle!!Remans range from $175-$350 depending the vehicle! There not open today,so I can't check the prices!;shrug;shrug;shrug

One more thing.... Do u have part number for ford orifice?

Can I get the VOV at napa or Auto zone?

One more thing.... Do u have part number for ford orifice?

Can I get the VOV at napa or Auto zone?
AIR46031 is the part # But some other manufacturer may use a different #!!
But there is only 1 ford blue orifice tube! Napa would come closer to having the VOV than Advance I'd think.:thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom