Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Compressor

C

c4ever

I got the news today from my mechanic that my 82 compressor is dying. The system otherwise is fine with no leaks. The symptoms are cool but not cold air particularly at low rpm. Does this diagnosys sound correct?
My question is, what is the concensus on replacing with an A/C Delco rebuilt or converting to R134a. In addition, do I have to purge the system to replace the compressor?

Carlo
;stupid

I replaced mine with R134 when faced with the same dilemna.

The system will have to be purged. Dissimiliar oils from R12 to R134 and they don't play well together.

I have been happy with the R134 conversion. If it starts from a covered area, the a/c keeps the car cool. Not like a new car now, but comfortable. It struggles to cool the car down if it has been sitting out in the sun on a hot day but I don't think this is from the a/c's abilities as much as the need to insulate under the front seats, drive tunnel, etc. The tunnel will get so hot that you can't leave your hand on it and this is radiating up into the cabin.

Bob

I stuck with Delco rebuilt and R12. Gets the car cool (even cold!) even if the car has been soaking in the sun in 95+ degree heat! Worth every penny...

Carlo,

I have a Harrison compressor off a '84 Trans Am resto project in my garage. I'll get you the Serno off it tonight and email it to you. If your mechanic says it'll work with your '82 I'll bring it gratis with me next week. You may have to buy me a nice Red Snapper dinner next time I'm in Pompano.

............ Nut

Thanks Nut,
I have decided to stay with the R12. like Page62 says, it does do a better job of cooling especially down here where it's almost always over 90 :cool
And boy do I have a seafood restaurant for you. Canjun snapper OOO WEE!
Can't wait to hit the road on Wed and get to meet.
Later,
Carlo:w

Carlo,

This compressor s/b be an R12 unit. I'll check anyway.

.......... Nut

There is a good book out now being sold everywhere on the AC on these cars. Talks a lot about the other things you can do to plug holes, replace gaskets, etc. Also talks about the conversion. Check any of the parts distributors like Ecklers, Mid-Am, etc. I think the NCRS also sells it.

Would this be "Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63 - 82 Corvette" by Michael J. Davis.

This is supposed to be an excellent book but it has been out of print and harder to get hold of than...well use your own imagination:grinsanta

Bob

Keep it R-12

With much to be said for the alternative freon /subs....R-12 is the way to go!

If you can afford it!

Vig!

....just ordered the "Air conditioning strategies..." book from Corvette Central, along with a few other of my top ten items (door weatherstrip, etc.). Haven't got it yet, so can't say definitively that it's 'readily available,' but it's still in their (CC) online catalog....(pn 112004)

Thanks for the input Guys. I don't have a lot(but some) of the cabin heat issues or leaks on the 82. In fact yesterday at about 93deg down here she was comfortable on the trip to West Palm so I'll stay with the R12. I going to take the certification exam so I can when necessary recharge at $15 not $150:cool
By the way (off topic) pulled alongside a sweet black 75 yesterday. Two of us ran together for a while. 4sp, side pipes, headers. I gotta say the CFI hung with her. I love seeing guys DRIVE these cars and not just look at em:_rock Two black Sharks riding side by side:love Ya gotta love it.

Carlo:w

In your climate R12 is most definitely the correct decision IMHO. If for some reason your friends compressor does not work out, don't buy any old rebuilt. I can tell you a horror story about what I went through with a rebuilt R4. The Delco rebuilt may be okay, but these compressors don't lend themselves well to the rebuild process.

Good luck,

I hear ya Larry. If Nut's doesn't match up I would normally go with the Delco rebuilt. Are you aware of any issues with them?

Carlo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom