Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Compressor

klyons

Corvette
1988 Bright Red
My A/C Compressor just locked up on me. I took it to my mechanic and he unplugged the clutch and said it would be OK to run until I could get it replaced. Price $745 I have found 1 at another parts store for $536 with exchange. Questions is my mechanic right? (Car seems to be running OK but haven't been very far since) I have been told that this is a common problem due to the long periods of time that Vette is stored. ? Is this true? Should it be started periodically to keep this from happening? Miserable weather in Maine this year rain, rain and more rain, haven't had the top off all summer.

Thanks Kent
:pat :CAC :v

Hi,

Unplugging the compressor won't cause a problem other than prevevting your A/C system from working. He may be quoting you a new compressor for that kind of money and you can probably get by with a quality rebuilt one for much less. Try here:

http://www.ackits.com

These guys also sponsor an A/C repair forum if you are up to replacing it yourself. Plan on spending some money on tools though.

Mike

I would never buy a rebuilt part, especially an a/c compressor. If you want something that will last, remanufactured is the next best thing to new.

Thanks guys I guess what locked up was the compressor clutch that is what he unplugged so I need the compressor w/clutch.

What a great forum this is.

Thanks again.

I am not a big fan of rebuilt parts just bad experience in the past.

:pat

klyons said:
Thanks guys I guess what locked up was the compressor clutch that is what he unplugged so I need the compressor w/clutch.
If the clutch is still turning then it should be okay. If it had locked up then there would be no movement. Sounds like the compressor is what locked.

tom...

I just had my compressor and clutch fail in Las Vegas in 115 degree heat last week! The compressor froze and the clutch burned out (the potting material was worn through and magnet wires exposed and torn). My 93 Ruby has 31K on the clock. I took it to Mr. Greedwrench. Final tab for new goodies was $1,777, including labor, tax and freon and a few odds and ends. The only upside is that the new compressor is guaranteed as long as I own the car and good at any Chevrolet dealer. The cost, of course, is absolutely outrageous. But then, ANYTHING that you have done at any dealership is, in my humble opinion, overpriced. Over the years, I haven't had a lot of luck with rebuilt accessories. Even if you replace A/C components yourself, there are still service costs, and you had better hope that you did it right! This is one job that is way over MY head.

$1777.00 !!!

I sure hope somebody at that dealership kissed you and bought you some flowers first.

I just change my A/C Compressure $104.00 at Advanced Autoparts rebuilt are fine outer case and castings are the only reused part come with 1YR warranty.....Just my thoughts

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom