Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C light flashes when I turn it on then goes off.

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello CAC world it's been awhile since I have posted anything, well since my last post I have sold my C4 corvette and bought a C5 1998 so far I love the car but I noticed an issue when I test drove this car the A/C light when I pressed it started flashing then turned off it was pretty cold out that day also we had some snow so I told the guy at the dealership if they can fix the A/C I will buy the car because at that time I didn't know if it was broke or something else was wrong "the digital readout is also very dim on the HVAC control module which I heard is common with C5's" the dealership said he will have his guy look at it and he told me a day later that the actuator was bad and they replaced it and it was working fine, I test drove it again and yes it did work perfect, since that time a little over a week ago from buying it I have not used the heat or A/C it is winter time and I don't drive the car much as of now, so today I got in it and started it up and thought I would test it out well the A/C button started flashing again and shut off I did some reading on this and found something that said the A/C wont engage with the outside air being below like 38/40 degrees Fahrenheit the button will flash like that until the outside temp is above 40 f does anyone know if there is any truth to this, it is currently 34 f here now so until it is above 40 I can't test this theory myself but thought I would reach out to see if this was a true statement or if the guy that told me he had it fixed just made a temp fix to sell me the car, and in that case I would be highly upset because I told him I would only buy it if the A/C worked I had huge issues with my C4 A/C that is one reason I sold it, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello CAC world it's been awhile since I have posted anything, well since my last post I have sold my C4 corvette and bought a C5 1998 so far I love the car but I noticed an issue when I test drove this car the A/C light when I pressed it started flashing then turned off it was pretty cold out that day also we had some snow so I told the guy at the dealership if they can fix the A/C I will buy the car because at that time I didn't know if it was broke or something else was wrong "the digital readout is also very dim on the HVAC control module which I heard is common with C5's" the dealership said he will have his guy look at it and he told me a day later that the actuator was bad and they replaced it and it was working fine, I test drove it again and yes it did work perfect, since that time a little over a week ago from buying it I have not used the heat or A/C it is winter time and I don't drive the car much as of now, so today I got in it and started it up and thought I would test it out well the A/C button started flashing again and shut off I did some reading on this and found something that said the A/C wont engage with the outside air being below like 38/40 degrees Fahrenheit the button will flash like that until the outside temp is above 40 f does anyone know if there is any truth to this, it is currently 34 f here now so until it is above 40 I can't test this theory myself but thought I would reach out to see if this was a true statement or if the guy that told me he had it fixed just made a temp fix to sell me the car, and in that case I would be highly upset because I told him I would only buy it if the A/C worked I had huge issues with my C4 A/C that is one reason I sold it, thanks in advance
FWIW, my 2001 Z06 does the same in cold weather. Have had it 4 years and never had any issues with the AC not working in the summer. Also, my digital readout on the HVAC fades in and out, when not working, I tap on it and occasionally it comes back on. Figured I would pull it out this summer and check connections, in my eyes, it seems like a flakey connection somewhere, due to age. Note this is my experience, seems to tie in with yours re: flashing AC, but it could be something else is the issue..I'm no expert :)

The AC is outside temp driven and will not come on when very cold outside. Try again when it's warmer.

FWIW, my 2001 Z06 does the same in cold weather. Have had it 4 years and never had any issues with the AC not working in the summer. Also, my digital readout on the HVAC fades in and out, when not working, I tap on it and occasionally it comes back on. Figured I would pull it out this summer and check connections, in my eyes, it seems like a flakey connection somewhere, due to age. Note this is my experience, seems to tie in with yours re: flashing AC, but it could be something else is the issue..I'm no expert :)
Otter since this post the flashing A/C button was because there was multiple leaks in the fittings the car dealer honered their words and fixed the a/c as of now it is working good as for the dim lighting readout on the HVAC unit i read that it is common for these units to fade out based on age like you had said, the solder joints get weak and need to be re-soldered so i took mine out and (unless you are good with soldering yourself )they have companies i found on EBAY that will fix these dimmed lights by adding all new LED bulbs and repair any broken buttons for a fee i sent mine out and paid 100 bucks the turn around was a few days and it works great now its all nice and bright the unit is only mounted with two screws and one electrical connection in the back, just an fyi :)

The AC is outside temp driven and will not come on when very cold outside. Try again when it's warmer.
Tool Guy, thanks for the reply since i have posted this i have learned exactly what you are saying everything is in good working order now :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom