Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

a/c pulley noise

D

duckhook

I started my car today and all of a sudden I have a sqweaky a/c pulley. It is not the belt and makes the noise whether the a/c is on or off. Can the pulley be lubed? Can it be replace relatively cheaply? Thanks for the help guys.
Doug

Hi there,
Yes, there is a replacement available. This is something that should be left to the professional.
You will NOT have to replace the compressor, just the pulley and bearing assembly.
From what I see, you can get the bearing separately.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Thanks for the info on pulley replacement. I took my car to a friend who teaches at the local tech college. After listening for a second, he shut the car off, put some comet cleanser on the serpentine belt, rubbed it around, started the car, and WOW, no more squeak!! Back yard mechanics, perfect!!:duh

I'll have to keep the trick in mind.
Comet huh?

em.

:beer

This is so easy you can do it yourself. Yes, it's the bearings in your pulley. You can replace the bearings yourself, it's simple to remove the clutch as it is not part of the compressor, it comes right off after removing a c-clip and one bolt. You may need a puller to remove the compressor clutch, but mine just came right off.

After removing the pulley, you can take it to any shop and have them remove the bearing and install a new one. Or if you have a bearing puller/installer you can do it yourself. I found a new bearing at NAPA.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom