Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A C5 techie book...maybe?

I have a copy of Will's book. It is excellent, the best I've seen for technical and ease of understanding.
I think the book is very up to date except for tuning, "controlling it all." (ls1edit, Hypertech, Diablosport etc.) That is constantly changing. What I would like to see is a more Corvette oriented book, maybe covering 283, 327, 350, 383, 427, 454. LS1/LS6 and LS2/LS7. Dyno results from various bolt-ons and maybe go as deep as head and cam swaps on all motors listed. The need for more info. on carberation, fuel injection through the years to date, and tuning it.

Todd,

How do you find the book you're discussing? I've never seen it, but it sounds like something I'd buy in a hot second!

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks, Todd - it's ordered!!:D

Hib - still want one by you.;)

Lee

Great, you will be very pleased with it. When Hib comes out with his, maybe we can send him a copy of his for a signature, nice! He has a great deal of support here, so I'm sure his will be a big success.

How about a little on "hi-flow cats vs removing cats all together" and replacing with O2 simulators? Someone just responded to the thread on that subject saying the sensors behind the cats do NOT adjust the fuel calculations... This needs to be definitivley resolved. If I were writing a book on c5 mods, I would contact the manufacturors of the simulators and hear their side of the story.

Also some info would be nice on placing c6 size wheels, (and other wheel sizes) under a c5,,, what can be done w/o modification,,, and what WILL require modification.

How about a chapter on putting the new c6 ZO6 motor in a c5?

God Speed on your book!

It would definately be in my library!

Terry Holtz said:
How about a little on "hi-flow cats vs removing cats all together" and replacing with O2 simulators? Someone just responded to the thread on that subject saying the sensors behind the cats do NOT adjust the fuel calculations... This needs to be definitivley resolved. If I were writing a book on c5 mods, I would contact the manufacturors of the simulators and hear their side of the story.

We can resolve that without a book. The oxygen sensors which are behind the cats have no effect on the engine controls setting of fuel flow or any other function. The sole pupose of the rear sesors is cat monitering. This was one of the many functions mandated by "OBD2" which was part of the second Clean Air Act and was required (with very few exceptions) on all light-duty vehicles sold in MY96 or later. How the rear O2Ses work is simple. When the signal from the rear sensor(s) starts to mimic the signals from the front sensor(s), the engine computer assumes the cat(s) have failed and turns on the service engine light.

"O2" simulaters are used by those who want to remove the cats but not have the engine controller blow codes all the time. The simulators give the ECM the signals it expects from the rear sensors even thought the cats aren't there.

Also some info would be nice on placing c6 size wheels, (and other wheel sizes) under a c5,,, what can be done w/o modification,,, and what WILL require modification.
Good suggestion.
How about a chapter on putting the new c6 ZO6 motor in a c5?
REALLY good suggestion.

Great Idea, to put all the info in one place! Would like to see "wheat seperated from Chaff" Dyno of stock car, then with each mod to see what it buys you. You could give each mod a $/HP figure to compare them.

Stosh

>>>>>How about a chapter on putting the new c6 ZO6 motor in a c5?<<<<<
>>>>>REALLY good suggestion.<<<<<

Find us a way to shoe horn the c-6 zo6 engine into our c-5's without throwing codes and the zo6 engine production line will have to hire a night shift.

I read these advertisements about extra hp with these bolt ons--- so I just bolt on a few goodies and get 100 plus hp, yeah right. I'd like to know what really is an improvement with reliability, gas mileage etc.

How about how-to's on changing thermostat and other relatively minor under hood jobs. Count me in for purchase of this book!:)

Well- this isn't performance related... I think one of the best "mods" I made was to buy a cheap set of deep grooved truck floor mats and a nice set of form fitting seat covers. The floor mats have grooves are deep enough to catch water, salt, mud, you name it. Between those and my neoprene seat cover, I have a very clean interior hiding under protective barriers!

Another mod that I saw on the net was a black PVC/K&N free flow air box. Someoe had used a 2 & 1/2 inch PVC intersection and placed a K&N on both sides. It cost only $70. Looked good too!!

Hib,
Put me on the list!

Order of interest

Suspension
Engine
Transmission
Brakes
Tires
Exhaust

Thanks,

MarkEE

Terry Holtz said:

God Speed on your book!
HI there,
O2 sensors behind the catalytic converters account for 25% of the total fuel calculations. The reason for this is because the converter efficiency is directly based on the air/fuel ratios. This will change the oxygen content after the converters.
I do NOT have a service document, but I will post it later.
The information that I have is off a GM service training disc, course number, 16044.11W3
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

This effect the rear O2Ses have....is it short term? Or is it part of the long term adaptive ability the engine controls have, ie: over a period of time, as the cats age.

Where are you going to post the information?

I'd like to see a indepth section talking about tires since they are SO IMPORTANT to the feel of a car. Street and dual use, which discusses the differences between sticky for going forward and sticky for turning.

For instance, the BF Goodrich KD. Good for going straight, but sloppy sidewalls makes for poor turning.

After I pick up my 2000FRC on saturday, the first mod I have planned is ditching the EMTs. I'm sure like myself, many folks have a hard time sifting through all the "performance" tires out there to fit their needs, and those "reviews" on tirerack aren't educated opinions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom