Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A-Frame Pillar

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Let's see if i can describe this right:
After my little thunderstorm adventure a while back, i wanted to get into the top of the windshield on the driver side, as i had a couple of drips coming from there. Sooo, i had a little time on Saturday and wanted to see how bad it is. It looks like a bit of rust under the chrome bit on the left most side of the top of the windshield.

I tried to remove parts, inside plastic, unscrewed a couple of screws from the chrome trim on the top (where the t-tops go), but i ran into time constraints, so i had to bolt her back up, do a little electrical tape and wait for more time to come my way.

While i was in there though, i ran into a couple of questions (or them into me ;) ):

- The back of the chrome seems to be riveted into the back of the T ? How is one supposed to get the entire chrome part (sorry, i don't know the proper name) off ?

- I am guessing, i have to take the entire top chrome part off (and it's connecting inside covers?) to get to take off that 1 corner on the windshield drive side ?

- If that is true, obviously depending on the amount of rust, what is there to do? Just clean it up, put some anti-rust solution on it and button it up for a smaller amount (of rust) ? For a bigger, would that needed to be welded ?

Sorry, no pics, when i had it apart, i took one before the camera died (and that one wasn't too good, as one cant see the crevice in between).

Thanks as usual..

:w
-Stefan

I had issues with mine on the interior of the pillars.Had some rust but not too bad,Im sure my leak is from a 33 year old seal on my T-top.
However the chrome on mine that you describe is pitted and could use replacing....if its basically the same, I will keep an eye on this thread for info i can use as well.
Sorry Im not of much help here Stephan,
Chas:beer

Let's see if i can describe this right:
After my little thunderstorm adventure a while back, i wanted to get into the top of the windshield on the driver side, as i had a couple of drips coming from there. Sooo, i had a little time on Saturday and wanted to see how bad it is. It looks like a bit of rust under the chrome bit on the left most side of the top of the windshield.

I tried to remove parts, inside plastic, unscrewed a couple of screws from the chrome trim on the top (where the t-tops go), but i ran into time constraints, so i had to bolt her back up, do a little electrical tape and wait for more time to come my way.

While i was in there though, i ran into a couple of questions (or them into me ;) ):

- The back of the chrome seems to be riveted into the back of the T ? How is one supposed to get the entire chrome part (sorry, i don't know the proper name) off ?

- I am guessing, i have to take the entire top chrome part off (and it's connecting inside covers?) to get to take off that 1 corner on the windshield drive side ?

- If that is true, obviously depending on the amount of rust, what is there to do? Just clean it up, put some anti-rust solution on it and button it up for a smaller amount (of rust) ? For a bigger, would that needed to be welded ?

Sorry, no pics, when i had it apart, i took one before the camera died (and that one wasn't too good, as one cant see the crevice in between).

Thanks as usual..

-Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I believe you're referring to the chrome window header. This is an interlocking system consisting of two corners and a center piece.

On mine, I had to first remove the windshield moulding.

There two small screws on the front of the corner header and two on the back that you need to remove. Then remove the six screws from the back of the center header (three on each side of where your T-top is located). It should come right apart.

Mine had some type of silly putty inside the channel.... please let me know if you have the same...

Hope helpful....

Ralph :beer

Thanks for the replies.

I guess, Ralph, that i need exactly to take that out (Chrome Window Header, aahhh!).. But my issue is more towards the windshield, on the top corner, under the edge part of the Chrome Window Header, which seems seperate from the center piece (the big I (or H) part).

Now, i did find rivets on the back of that I/H (towards the rear hatch). What do i do with those ? Drill them out and then re-rivet that ? Or can i just undo all the screws and gingerly bend it upwards to get the other parts out ?

I'll see if i can snap some pics for clarity. Camera seems back in action. I just want to figure out what the heck it has under there, guess i need to go taking stuff off. It never is easy, eh?
Yey..

Keep the replies coming. I'll be working on this one and will be back with pics.

My advice is to purchase the '82 assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM shows you how all the windshield trim was installed at Bowling Green. It also lists the original part numbers, including the screws and rivets, torques, sealers, and installation notes.
:)

My advice is to purchase the '82 assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM shows you how all the windshield trim was installed at Bowling Green. It also lists the original part numbers, including the screws and rivets, torques, sealers, and installation notes.
:)

That i have, but an AIM doesnt help one if you dont know how to put things back together or how far apart one has to take it, un-technical person that i am..
I figured we have people here that know how to deal with rivets or a slight case of the rusties.. ;)

Ok, i snapped a coupe of pics, let's see if one of you has a hint of the issue, and how far i need to take this thing apart (ie. do i HAVE to take the rivets out?).. And how far do i need to take the inside trim off ? All the way down, all parts? TiA!

Here is the spot from the front with flash, so you can see the rust in the crease:
P9060010a.jpg

Here is a full view from above, need to get under the left side corner piece
P9060012a.jpg

And the rivets on the back (are they normal anyway?):
P9060013a.jpg

You have to remove all the screws from the t bar trim and drill out (carefully0 those rivets, if you remove the roll bar upholstery you can remove the other side of the rivets.
There are also screws on the inside between the t-top locking tangs so you have to remove the dome light, screw out the base and remove the inside T bar upholstery.
Those 2 corner pieces are screwed to the windshield frame, the screws are usually hidden behind the windshield adhesive so you'll have to carefully pry around to feel them. They are small philips screws.

Thanks TT (Dank je).. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but it has to be done, eh ? :cry

I'll see how far i can take it (I never put rivets in, pretty sure i can drill them out though).. So, before i get too far, i'll find someone close by who can rivet..

just buy a cheap rivet gun and some rivets that break off smooth (they are special rivets, ordinary rivets leave an ugly finish) There's nothing to it, insert rivet in rivet guin, stick rivet in hole and squeeze the handle without banging your knuckles together

Yup :) it's even worse if you have one of those scissor types, they're excellent for taking a finger off... I have a pneumatic rivet gun now :)

Stephan,

Keep updating this thread if you would. I may have just decided on a winter project. :D I'm getting pretty damn tired of my car getting just as wet inside as it does on the outside when it rains. I have a feeling though that my rust problem will be worse than yours, if at least by 2 years! :L

Ah, whats 2 years, right ? :L

Well, i had a little time last weekend and took off the inside trim (header and driver side). Took off all the screws except the rivets from the chrome window header. But i hit a snag: When i tried to lift it up (flat screw driver under the c-w-h corner, towel under the screwdriver.. it is chrome ;) ) to see if i can remove the corner piece (the one that has the sunvisor elbow on it), i found it to be "glued" down, the c-w-h!, with a tar like substance (I think, someone packed that in to make sure no outside water comes in. ). :confused

But at that point, i tried to pry the corner off, but i couldnt. Somewhere, there are screws (as described by TT: "Those 2 corner pieces are screwed to the windshield frame, the screws are usually hidden behind the windshield adhesive so you'll have to carefully pry around to feel them. They are small philips screws."), but i couldnt find them. I felt all sorts of areas, but i didnt find the screws TT described.

I figured, i'd wait until i have a little more time to dig in, but in the process, i took a closer look and from an angle the rust didnt look all that bad.
I poked at it with a little screwdriver and nothing flaked off, and it felt pretty solid. Somewhere though it's letting little drops in.. :(

We'll see next time i get a chance to dig into it whether i can find the philipps screw(s).

I've got the right and left corner piece's.They are nos.Let me know if you are interested.

you will need a pop rivot gun heres one from sears

and some POR 15 to prevent more rust or Eastwood sells their own brand

just don't get too much on your hands it takes forever to wear off ;LOL

I've got the right and left corner piece's.They are nos.Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks Michael, i think i'll be ok. But i can only confirm when i find the screws first and can take them off.. I'll keep you in mind.. Thanks for the offer!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom