Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"A" Pillar Weatherstrip Install

C

CAJUN C4

I'm getting ready to change my "A" Pillar W.S.on My 95' and wonder if there's anything in particular that I should do to make sure of No Leaks.

Any Insructions out there?
Thanx

Take your time! Be patient!

Be sure to remove ALL the adhesive which is in the channel.

Dry fit the ws before gluing.

Leave the ws out in the sun for a couple of hours, so the kinks from packaging will smooth out.

Take your time! Did I say that already? :L

AFTER INSTALLING YOUR WS, PLEASE BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

Do not start at the ends, start at one of the top corners. then go across and down, then do the other pillar. Make sure and line up the holes for the plastic tabs and be careful pulling them out, because you will not get them with the weatherstripping.

Use 3M adhesive and TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not put top on till the glue is completely dry or close the doors.

Shouldn't I remove the Weatherstrip Retainers and re-apply adhesive to them?
I heard leaks happen when the original sealant deteriorates and causes a leak path under them?

Shouldn't I remove the Weatherstrip Retainers and re-apply adhesive to them?
I heard leaks happen when the original sealant deteriorates and causes a leak path under them?
Yes!!! I sometimes remove the windshield reveal moldings too and clean them up if I see evidence of water running under them!!:thumb
That old goopy crap GM used sometimes gets hot and runs out through the years or gets hard and lets water in under it!!:beer

Those retaining clip should not have adhesive on them, if they do then someone other than GM put it on.
You should put a bead all the way around the weatherstripping and around the 2 screws at the base of the pillars, also make sure and get the weatherstrip edge under the seem.

Yes!!! I sometimes remove the windshield reveal moldings too and clean them up if I see evidence of water running under them!!:thumb
That old goopy crap GM used sometimes gets hot and runs out through the years or gets hard and lets water in under it!!:beer
GMJ:

Do I have to remove the Windshield to do the Reveal Moulding?

GMJ:

Do I have to remove the Windshield to do the Reveal Moulding?
No!!:thumbJust make sure you have all the screws out and a can of 3M Special Release agent!! The release agent will soften the glue on the weatherstrip and also the sealant on the moldings!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I wouldn't remove the Reveal moldings or track the W/S sets in unless I could see where water has been running under it! I'd remove the inside win shield garnish trim off the A pillar though,You'll see it if water has been trickling in and under them!!:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Sure Wished I Lived Close to Mashburn Branch....LOL

Oh, and there is a big difference between factory and after market WS. Safelite put the cheap stuff on, and ended up having to replace it with factory to get a proper seal.

GM uses Corvette Rubber, they seem to be the only ones that make quality stuff.
Though Wilcox sells some good stuff from what I hear, do not know who makes theirs, I got mine from weatherstripspecials.com and they have lasted for 2 years and still look good and no leaks.

Will say, if you replace both pillars, do not do both at once. Have heard a lot of people complain about having a hard time closing windows and putting the top on after doing both at once.

More advice. Do not coat the entire area with the sealant, just run a bead down the middle. The edge of the weathertrip slides into the channel and should stay snug. You need the flexibility in the weatherstrip to get a tight seal. I agree that the GM weatherstripping is the way to go, but very expenseive. Did my 94 vert (hard top and convertible top in the manner described and had no leaks, even in a torrential storm last summer.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom