Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A question about NCRS

Baldie88

Corvette
2016 triple black vert.
I'm way premature in thinking about it but at a recent club show someone mentioned that in 2 more years I could get my car judged at a NCRS event. I've got an 88 that is pretty much original. 42,8xx miles right now. I'm the 4th owner and have most of the paperwork that came with the car as well as information on the other three owners.

So I guess first off I'd have to say I've got a driver. It's got it's flaws, a few paint chips, drivers seat starting to wear, a little curb rash on one wheel, etc. It does have an aftermarket stereo and speakers (I like to play CDs instead of cassettes). I do have a source for an original stereo and speakers if needed but I'd put the CD player right back in. I did replace the stock mufflers a couple years ago with after market mufflers that look and sound like stock, just didn't get them from GM. So I guess that's two strikes against it. But I think it's pretty well unmolested based on a lot of other C4s I see.

But I'd like to have it judged just to say I did it. I'm definitely not going to be in the same league as the the lucky ones with pristine 67 big blocks. I've heard of a survivor class but couldn't find anything on NCRS's website.

So could somebody give me an insight as to what I might be able to do or expect. I certainly don't want to insult any NCRS folks by bringing them a car that doesn't have a chance of every getting an award.

Just dreaming. And Thanks.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Ron, the CAC has numerous NCRS members (including Rob himself) as well as several NCRS judges. The name of the game is "as delivered by the factory" and since very few Corvettes remain "factory correct" for long, the more original your car is, the better. The NCRS award for those unrestored "survivors" is the "Bowtie Award" and here's an NCRS link describing what you might expect if you submitted your car for judging... click! From what I understand, judging should be looked upon as an opportunity rather than a critique. The judges should provide useful feedback to help you reach your goals.

You've already got a leg up if you have all the previous owner information. Although this isn't essential for flight judging, it helps you to "prove" the car's history. While that isn't as important for newer cars, it's very important for the older ones. As the old saying goes... only 200 of the original 16 L88s are accounted for.

-Mac

The Bowtie award doesn't apply to C4s but NCRS is considering a new award category for preserved examples of the "newer" Vettes.

So, with that in mind, flight judging becomes a matter of precise adherence to the judging manual which, for the most part, represents what the cars looked like at the end of the assembly line.

That means that every nut, bolt, screw and component is correct as to date codes, numeric codes (i.e. VIN, casting and other numbers) manufacturing marks, dimensions, finish and the like.

Paint chips, aftermarket exhaust and radio, upholstery wear and any dirt, grime or rusted finish will cost you points. A driver and a Top Flight car are as far apart as a CZ and a diamond.

Your best bet is to join the NCRS and start attending some local chapter meets. You can even volunteer to be a part of the judging team (you won't need to know anything. . . at least not yet! :)) to get up-close and personal with the process.

Once you've seen how it's done and what will and will not lose you points you'll be in much better shape to prepare your car.

Best of luck!

join a local NCRS chapter in your area, and have your car judged at a chapter meet - we do judge 1988's now, in fact we judge through 1991 - we are working on the 1992/93's, and in fact are dong "practice judging" on them at the Louisiana Regional in November

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your help (and for moving this to the proper forum). You've definitely given me something to think about and what direction I need to go. There is an active chapter here in St. Louis and I went to their judging event in June. I'll have to check on when their meetings are and maybe start attending.

Appreciate all the help.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Join the NCRS,

invest in the judging manuals (real afordable) Take the time to read them

Then find a meet in your area and request to be an O.J. (observer judge)for there next event

There seams to be a slight shortage of C4 judges at this time so I am sure they will greatly appreciated your offer, Even if you don't plan becoming a judge its a great way to get up close and see what the NCRS judging is all about.

You ll give up a Saturday or a Sunday but learn a lot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom