Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: A 'Vette of many faces

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
A 'Vette of many faces

BY MIKE BERRY
The Wichita Eagle

Jim Tabor's 1958 Corvette was supposed to be a bright-red 409, 4-speed 1962 Chevy Biscayne.

"I sold my '55 Chevy for $550... and put the money down on the 409. I kept checking back and checking back at the dealer, but my car never came in. After several months, I checked with the manager and found out the salesman didn't order my car and spent my money. He was fired right in front of me," Tabor said.

"They credited me and said if there was anything out there on the lot that you like... Well, I started out and I saw this 'Vette that they had just traded for and I turned around and the manager said, 'Take it.' " That was 48 years ago and Tabor has never regretted the strangest car deal of his life.

That's not to say he babied the 230-horsepower, 4-speed 'Vette.

Read more: A 'Vette of many faces | Wichita and Kansas cars | Buy or sell cars in the Wichita area | Wichita Eagle

Pretty neat.

I like the idea of adding additional grill teeth.:w

Great Story

A 'Vette of many faces

BY MIKE BERRY
The Wichita Eagle

Jim Tabor's 1958 Corvette was supposed to be a bright-red 409, 4-speed 1962 Chevy Biscayne.

"I sold my '55 Chevy for $550... and put the money down on the 409. I kept checking back and checking back at the dealer, but my car never came in. After several months, I checked with the manager and found out the salesman didn't order my car and spent my money. He was fired right in front of me," Tabor said.

"They credited me and said if there was anything out there on the lot that you like... Well, I started out and I saw this 'Vette that they had just traded for and I turned around and the manager said, 'Take it.' " That was 48 years ago and Tabor has never regretted the strangest car deal of his life.

That's not to say he babied the 230-horsepower, 4-speed 'Vette.

Read more: A 'Vette of many faces | Wichita and Kansas cars | Buy or sell cars in the Wichita area | Wichita Eagle

Hi Rob,

I would like to meet Jim on my 48 state trip. He would be a wonderful addition to my research. Could you let him know of my trip and PM with any details if he would like me to stop by. As you can see from the map, I have many stops . The logistics are starting to become more of a problem than making my car work. Any help or thoughts on meeting and communicating with all that want me to .

Jack

Trip route - Google Maps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom