Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A ZR-1 as your first Corvette?

I'm fully aware when Brett started this thread, I replied 1st!

Only problem is "Brett" made the post which began this thread six years ago.
HH - Is your life a complex problem that your solving daily? :boogie

BTW - Brett's currently in a holding pattern, but he's still waiting for the right one...

ThumsUpHiBelow.gif

90uhr5.jpg

L8TR - D

zr1 was my first vet 6 yrs ago .have put 100k miles on her and she is still going strong .learning curve isnt that bad either,unless you have to take the heads off

Beautiful 'vette!

Wow, that would have been perfect.

But again, buying a house has temporarily stalled my 'vette ownership. Soon!!!

Beautiful 'vette!

Wow, that would have been perfect.

But again, buying a house has temporarily stalled my 'vette ownership. Soon!!!

a house?!?!? well, I guess we have to have priorities. you must be married... I know how that goes! :beer

remember, you can sleep in the Vette but you can't drive the house. and as I was advised after buying mine (Vette that is... also had to buy a house first...) since it's a two seater, it's also a two sleeper! :boogie

My ZR-1 is my fourth Corvette,my next will be a Midyear Coupe.

I finally bought my first ZR1 after owning aroud 25 others first. Finally got it right.:L

Thanks guys. But here's the thing--the reason I love the ZR-1 is it's unique character. There is nothing like it. It's not a spinoff of a GenII or GenIII engine. It is one unto itself. The LT-5 is just beautiful, with a storied past and great history. I guess the trade off is that by the very definition of being unique, it is going to be harder to fix. Just comes with the territory.

So what I really want to know is, from you ZR-1 owners, how hard has the ZR-1 been to maintain over the years? What is your experience maintaining and fixing the LT-5? Do most of you ZR-1 guys fix everything yourself, or do you have a mechanic? And if the latter, what is your experience with them? I live in Michigan, the motor capitol of the world, so I would have to assume some LT-5 mechanics are around here somewhere....

Zippy gave ya his opinion....he's a ZR1 owner too and has had the C4 gen as well.

My opinion, buy ya somethin that has a "Z" in designation. Ya won't go wrong.....with that said, I just read your remark above and see what ya want....go get that ZR-1 !!! :)

I say go for it. I have had many Corvettes and by far my ZR1 has held its value the best out of the modern era cars.This is a better investment than any other C 4 and C 5's values are dropping like a rock.I would try tp find a car that is original as possible that has been driven but not a high miler. I would not by a super low mileage vehicle they seem to have alot of electrical gremlins 1990's and 1991's are going for less money due to the larger production runs.

The current value avg value of a 1996 GS coupe in excellent shape is about 34,000 they produced a little over 800, the current value of a 1996 GS con is about 39,000 they only produced 190. The current avg value of a 1995 ZR1 in the same condition is about 38,500 they produced 448. For my money the 405HP ZR1 vs a 330 HP GS I would go for the ZR1 with only about $500 difference in value.

Do not know what the original sticker was, seeing how nobody is buying them new at this time original sticker really doesnt matter, used values is all you can go buy. Can't tell you what the future holds both cars are probally a safe buy. The 45 to 75 extra HP I think will help the Z in the long run.

Thanks guys. But here's the thing--the reason I love the ZR-1 is it's unique character. There is nothing like it. It's not a spinoff of a GenII or GenIII engine. It is one unto itself. The LT-5 is just beautiful, with a storied past and great history. I guess the trade off is that by the very definition of being unique, it is going to be harder to fix. Just comes with the territory.

So what I really want to know is, from you ZR-1 owners, how hard has the ZR-1 been to maintain over the years? What is your experience maintaining and fixing the LT-5? Do most of you ZR-1 guys fix everything yourself, or do you have a mechanic? And if the latter, what is your experience with them? I live in Michigan, the motor capitol of the world, so I would have to assume some LT-5 mechanics are around here somewhere....

You hit it....it is the 'uniqueness' that you will get. But along with that unique car comes unique problems. If your getting the car to hold on too....GET IT......a rule I have for myself, if it has a "Z" in the designation then you can't go wrong. If this is gonna be your first vette then get a Z06. If not your first and you plan on holding on to it, get the ZR-1. Remember, it's getting it repaired/fixed that will be your problem. They ARE unique vettes. Not a whole lot of them either. It will become a collector car some day....you can bet....any vette that has a 'Z' in the designation and has a special motor....it will most likely become a collector vette. If it were me and I had a vette already I would get the ZR-1. If it was my first vette (obviously no other in driveway) then I would get the Z06. ....that's my two cents!!!! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom