Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A ZR-1 as your first Corvette?

B

Brett

What are everyone's thoughts on a ZR-1 being someone's first Corvette? I've always wanted one, but have been thinking about a few things lately. Mainly concerning:

1. The ZR-1 is long out of warranty.

2. The LT-5 is out of production. And on top of that, doesn't share many parts, if any, with other engines.

Now, I know more about cars than your average person, but I am not an auto mechanic either. Are good LT-5 mechanics out there? Or are they near impossible to find?

So, what do you all think? Should the ZR-1 be left up to more experienced owners?

Buy 1 . . .

If you don't . . . you'll always wish you had!

I'd like to have a 94 or 95 ZR-1 . . . I like the interior in those years best.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Brett: Good questions....no easy answers. Here's my two sense....TheZR1 is one of the modern day super cars. The LT5 engine is one of the most durable, sophisticated powerplants out there. BUT, your correct parts are hard to come by and when you find them most likely they will be expensive. Not every Chevy dealership has capable, knowledgeable technicians on this engine.

If it were me I'd buy a Z06 instead. It's quicker, handles better, and service/parts are available most everywhere.

How do I know? I've bought a used '94 ZR1 in '96 with only 3,100 miles on it. Absolutely nothing like it, especiallyy when you pop open that clamshell hood, and see the LT5 beauty! :)

I also had a '99, & 2000 convertible, then a '01 Z06, then a '02 Z06, and I'd buy another Z06 before buying another ZR1...good luck in whatever you decide.

Zippy :) :)

Thanks guys. But here's the thing--the reason I love the ZR-1 is it's unique character. There is nothing like it. It's not a spinoff of a GenII or GenIII engine. It is one unto itself. The LT-5 is just beautiful, with a storied past and great history. I guess the trade off is that by the very definition of being unique, it is going to be harder to fix. Just comes with the territory.

So what I really want to know is, from you ZR-1 owners, how hard has the ZR-1 been to maintain over the years? What is your experience maintaining and fixing the LT-5? Do most of you ZR-1 guys fix everything yourself, or do you have a mechanic? And if the latter, what is your experience with them? I live in Michigan, the motor capitol of the world, so I would have to assume some LT-5 mechanics are around here somewhere....

My ZR-1 has been the easiest Corvette to maintain (It's only my second Vette though....). The oil is very simple to change and the plenum really is not difficult to pull off to change whatever you want under there. I put better coil packs and plug wires on mine. The only time I've ever heard of something going wrong with an LT-5 motor has been cars under heavy nitrous use.....(I've seen pictures of holes in the plenum)
If you take care of your car and change the fluids on a regular basis you won't have a problem. The LT-5 is a very dependable motor ;)

Jay

Bret,
I thought you were talking about me when you discribed yourselfe. I just bought my first Vette, a 90 ZR1 with 85,000 miles. I know a little about cars, but not a mechanic. I have not had the car long enough to know how much I'll have to learn to maintain it. Like you I love the view when I pop the hood!
Good luck with your choice.

The ZR has been my first and only Corvette thus far. I bought it when I was 24 (September of 1994) with 179 miles on it and I'm at around 28K now. I haven't had any major problems with it and I've been able to conduct almost all routine maintenance and repairs on my own.

My ZR1 was my 6th corvette, I do all my own work but there are a few people to go to for engine work if it ever came up, The LT5 doesnt share any parts with other GM engines except for the rear main seal!

heres a website for LT5 parts to give you a idea of costs www.lt5-parts.com

that is all brand new parts yes they can get expensive but I just parted out a LT5 not long ago and the parts got snached up pretty quick, The big thing to help cool your worry is the LT5 is a very good motor and the onyl failures I have heard of is inexperience mechs causeing damage.

I would not worry about the LT5 buy the best car you can and if you can get a LT5 owner to check it out.

I currently own 2 ZR-1's and might be ading another one but that might not happen since im buying my first house! :D

Zippy said:
If it were me I'd buy a Z06 instead. It's quicker, handles better, and service/parts are available most everywhere.
:( I'd sooner have a ZR-1 than a Z06. Just because it's the latest design, does not mean it's the greatest.

I don't think I'll ever purchase a C5, they took the sports car out of it.

As far as getting a ZR-1 as your first Vette, why the hell not. "The ZR-1 is a Corvette, only more so.

Zippy said:

Zippy :) :)
I guess we will have to disagree on this part here, but the ZR-1 is my second and right now my olny vette and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

Go for the ZR-1 ..I got my first ZR-1 the 91 two years ago with 10K miles on it after 25 K miles just driving on weekends it was clear I would need another as a daily driver. I found the 90 last Sept. with 25K miles and just turned 37K miles. As far as maint. Just like working on any other Vette just get the right books and a few special tools and your good to go.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn /><o:p></o:p> </P><P style=
Best of luck

<o:p></o:p>

Steve

I just bought my 90 ZR-1 last Oct and it is my first Corvette. I have no regrets and have been performing all maintenance myself. I love this car like no other and it is hard to describe what it is like to own the "Beast" over any other Corvette. First off, I could not afford some of the other years or a new Z06 so that was the first factor. Not only that, my own opinion is the C4s are the nicest body styles, never did care for the C5 or C6 for that matter. The ZR-1 is at its all time low in cost because I don't think enough folks are really aware of how special this Vette is and sometimes they seem to get into the wrong hands. In 1990 I knew I wanted a ZR-1 one day and it took 13 years later for me to buy one cash and personalize it to my own taste. I don't think there is any other Vette that has caused as much controversy or is a "Legend" like the ZR-1. I really believe that within the next 10 years all of us owning ZR-1s will be envied by all and really be happy we have ours. I don't think there is any other Vette with a following and brotherhood (or sisterhood) like the ZR-1. From my short experience, I cannot believe the help that is out there for this machine that has some unique issue but all the owners are always sharing "how to" and ideas. I have no regrets that the ZR-1 is my first and only Corvette. The ZR-1 is not just a "Corvette".

Weclome to the CAC, HAWAIIZR1! Great first post. Stick around--this place is the best!

I agree with much of what you said. I too like the C4 design best. The C5 doesn't do it for me. That @ss is just too ugly. And the C6, while better than the C5, doesn't measure up to the C4 either. The C4 has sharp, clean lines, and looks like it has an attitude.

The ZR-1 just has so much character. Like you, that is also what attracts me. Quickness is overrated. All cars will eventually get outdated by something faster. You cannot avoid it. While the ZR-1 is no longer the fastest, it can still hold it's own (I'd like to see a ZR-1 and a Z-06 go at it from a roll...), and it is miles ahead in the "character" and "legend" department. And in the long run, that is what counts. Once the C6 Z06 comes out, the C5 Z06's will have zero appeal (for me anyway). Once they aren't the fastest anymore, they have no character to fall back on.

I also agree that within another 10 years or so, the ZR-1 will really start to shine.

I'm pretty much in Brett's position and have one simple question: anybody know of any available repair manuals for the LT5? (I'm thinking of the Hayne's type, or the like)

Peter

I vote for ZR-1, just picked up a one owner, 60,000 miles for a great price plus they are the most value for the money at this time. Owned a 63, 88 & this beast is a blast to drive, just pick up a manual and drive it. You can always get your money back if you take care of it. I watch the real low miles car, the fuel systems can be a little picky if you let them sit for long time without running.

I kept my current car running for the previous owner for the past 10 years no big deal little pricey on parts but all oem's are cutting production on parts for all cars. So have fun with whatever you buy :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom