Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A4 Shift Points

Barry Hanna

Corvette
2004 Black on Black
When going about 75 mph and I floor the throttle, I don't get a downshift and the accleration seems a bit slow for a Vette. I have a 2004 with the 3.15 ratio.
I thought I would see a downshift up to around 95 or so. Am I dreaming?

Thanks

When you are going 75 mph and you floor it, what gear are you in and what rpm is the engine turning?

When you are going 75 mph and you floor it, what gear are you in and what rpm is the engine turning?

I'm in "D", which I assume would be top gear and the rpms are under 2k or so, as far as I can remember. That's why I am surprised I don't get a "kick-down".

At a slightly slower speed, it does "kick-down" to a lower gear, revs to about 6k and then up-shifts.

I'm in "D", which I assume would be top gear and the rpms are under 2k or so, as far as I can remember. That's why I am surprised I don't get a "kick-down".

At a slightly slower speed, it does "kick-down" to a lower gear, revs to about 6k and then up-shifts.

If you're in high-gear (overdrive) at 2,000 rpm and you go to WOT, the trans should downshift at least one gear.

Something is wrong, that's for sure.
I agree with c4c5 Spl. See if there are any DTCs set for the trans.

If you're in high-gear (overdrive) at 2,000 rpm and you go to WOT, the trans should downshift at least one gear.

Something is wrong, that's for sure.
I agree with c4c5 Spl. See if there are any DTCs set for the trans.

I absolutely agree.

Hi All,
I also have a 2004 with an AT. I do get a down shift when I stomp on the gas - even at about 75 mph - but there is a slight delay. I've wondered if I couldn't just use the shifter and down shift to get a better response without any delay but I've been afraid I might cause some damage to the trans. I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's pretty similar to my question so I hope you don't mind. Thanks!
:hijack

Hi there,
It would be suggested to retreive diagnostic codes from the PCM>
Allthebest, c4c5
Sorry about the long delay. There are no powertrain codes. These are all that came up: 60-IPC...B0516H; 99-HVAC...B0367H; A6-SCM...B2605H. It's a 2004 with less than 9,000 miles.

Thanks

Make sure that there is nothing bunched up under your throttle pedal, like a floor mat.

That is an excellent point! I hadn't thought of that. Some time ago I did buy a "premium" floor mat set ... it's much thicker than standard. I'll check it out.

Thanks

That is an excellent point! I hadn't thought of that. Some time ago I did buy a "premium" floor mat set ... it's much thicker than standard. I'll check it out.

Thanks
Nope, that wasn't it. Maybe I should take it to MTI for a tune.

Hey Tony C, you can downshift, thats what that gear is in the car for. Been using both gears an equal amount of time on every Vette i've ever had, no problems. Downshifted at 95mph and floored it no problems, hundreds of times. Don't ever be afraid to drive it man. And by the way, if you blew the tranny onto the street, which you won't, who cares, at least YOU did it, have'in fun in your Vette.

HI there,
A tune will not help, there has to be something that the PCM is seeing that is inhibiting the shift.
Either engine load, output shaft speed or something to disable the kickdown to 2nd.
Remember, when the 4-2 downshift occurs, your looking at hydraulic pressure being completely changed so if there is a leakage in that area, you might only get 3rd.
A Tech 2 data scan will definatly be the next course of action.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks Pac-man! I pretty much figured that but wanted to check. I've had the car ('04 CE) since March last year and have driven it every day - such a blast! Never fails to put a smile on my face. Now I'll need to look for that open strech of road to play some more ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom