Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
After nearly two years I thought I was close to putting my 81 back on the road. Actually took it for a drive last Sunday. But was still having a problem with reverse, so after taking the shifter out (again) and making an alignment tool to lock the shift levers together, putting it back in the car, and then beginning to lower the car off the jack stands (again)...found that I had a coolant leak.

Traced leak to the radiator fan switch in the right head. No problem right, just tighten it up a bit more....well it broke off in the head!!! Besides the coolant draining out onto the garage floor, now it looks like I get to pull the head off.

Can this be done with the engine in the car? Is there enough room to get to all the head bolts? Please tell me that I can and that I do not need to pull the engine out (again).

LannyL81

I was able to pull both heads with the engine in the car. Should not be a problem at all.

Since you recently installed the sensor, it shouldn't be frozen in place like an old rusted one. Try getting it out with an easy-out. You may have to drop the exhaust manifold to make it easier to get to. It would be a lot simpler than pulling the heads. But you can pull the heads in the car, without any real problems.

$*$%@#!!!*$%#$$

Well after making about four attempts with different tools, I was finally able to get what was left out of the head. I ended up using a 3/8" nipple extractor along with wedging in a small bladed screwdrive blade to get it out. A 3/8" extractor was too small, a 1/2" extractor too large.

But at least it is out now. And I am going to epoxy seal the 3/4" to 5/8" reducer into the head this time so that it does not leak. The actual radiator fan switch sealed just fine; it was the reducer that leaked.

Just another little side trip to getting my '81 back on the road again. Sure hope this is the last side trip...I would really like to drive my Corvette again.....

Later,
LannyL81

wishuwerehere82 said:
NOOO, not Epoxy.:W Permatex, RTV, Pipe dope, anything but Epoxy.

Even teflon tape will work, but never use epoxy.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom