Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

About to pull the trigger on a 1978 Silver Edition

iseerocks

So I am about to pull the trigger on a supposed 1978 Silver Edition. It has the L-82 emblem on the hood so that is a plus I suppose. I really want to get a C3 because I love the history of this era of Corvette. The C3 was the car that the Apollo astronauts drove. They were a bunch of sports car driving test pilots who pushed the limits of human exploration and an amazing part of American history.

If this thing happens I am going to just rebuild the engine as it is already out of the car. I am looking for some guidance and advice as to what to do about the engine. I am planning on really just cruising it around but would like it to be more of a beast than stock. I am planning on only running pump gas. Is it worth keeping the engine for the future, store it, and build something else? Is a 383 the best way to get more power out of a rebuild? Will I have to do anything with the tranny if I make it a 383? Any advice on rebuild kits? What’s with all these different pistons and what ones do I want? I would probably just keep the heads that are on the engine but wouldn’t mind being pointed at “the biggest bang for the buck” heads that I could get new.
Most fun of all, what would you do with this car if you had a chance to get it?

Thanks in advance for any responses; I am really enjoying reading about these Vettes and getting excited about getting this car.

Welcome to CAC, rocks! I can't really help you with any of your questions as I've never owned a C3. I always liked the silver anniversary cars though. As for the engine rebuild, again I've not been involved with rebuilding engines for many years. But if you are going to mod the engine, I'd say go all the way. Or maybe just go with one of the crate engines that are available. This is just me thinking out loud.

Welcome again to oour little place on the internet. :w

Welcome to the CAC

The L82 is a good engine and the preferred one in that car, especially with a 4 speed. You didn't say what trans you have but unless you go nuts on the engine you should not have any problems. In my opinion you would have a more valuable car in the future if you either rebuilt the L82 (assuming it is the original engine) or at least kept it stored for inclusion with a future sale or restoration. If you ever sell this car to someone wanting to restore or preserve it that original engine unmodified, will be a big deal.

My suggestion would be to buy a 383 crate motor for more power and store that original engine. It is hard to build one for what you can buy one for these days. 425/450 streetable pump gas friendly horsepower with a warranty is hard to beat. GM has all brand new ones and Summit and others offer many others to choose from.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom