Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

About to put dash back in, what should I do first

J

jdads2

I got my dash back, had it recovered in red leather. What else should I do before I put the dash back. I have upgraded the front speakers and I plan on resealing all the A/C duct work, no more leaks there!! I have checked the wiring harnesses and they seem to be in very good shape. The A/C control unit sticks, heck, it's almost frozen stuck. Any idea where the sticking point might be or where I should check? I would like to get everything "right" as long as the dash is already out.

Thanks for the input

Sorry I can't help you with the AC.

The only thing I can think of for you to do is replace all those lamps and check all the ground wires for tightness.

Then put that pad on and get back to enjoying your vette.

Rick

Great Idea, I'll get checking tomorrow. I'm afraid the getting around to enjoy the vette is gonna take a little more time. Next on the horizon is a rear end rebuild, then front suspension, then engine, then....well I guess you get the idea. Next summer can't get here fast enough!!

Thanks
Dave

Sticky AC control?

Dave,
If your AC control lever is sticking, Whatever you do DO NOT force it. The lever controls a round flat type cam with grooves and rubber diaphram setup with spring tension and clips and screws holding it together.

My was sticking and I forced it to move more than it wanted too :( I ended up taking it out of the console and then on my work bench I took it all apart and put it back together. I took 2 times to get it right with the diaphram lineing up correctly with the grooves to work properly. (the switch is actually a vacuum type affair!)

If you have a 1981 Assembly Manual it helps, but there are no instructions in the Shop Manual or in the Assembly Manual. AND it's been about 4 years since I took my apart, but with a little patience it's not so bad. You do have to almost take the entire console apart to get to the screws that hold the switch in place.. grrrr

BudD
:bu

We've just completed (do any of these project end up completed?) restoring a 67 Camaro for my wife. We had a lot of "forcing" on some parts of that car....you learn the hard way sometimes:( . I have no intention on forcing anything with this restoration project, patience is a virtue, too bad it's not a commodity I could buy!

Thanks for the advice,
Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom