Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Abs and tcm lights stay on

Not concerned with the speedometer and the other 2 codes at this time, we can diagnosis on that later. P0342 is Camshaft Sensor Low Voltage. Assuming you have good battery voltage I think you need to check the sensor wiring and connection. Unplug the connector and inspect it for good pins (3) and make sure it is clean. Sounds like the sensor could be going bad, I have seen them go before. This is your second sensor code.

How many miles on the car? I am wondering if the no start issue may be a bad ignition switch (electrical portion). Does it crank over fine but not start?

If you have any questions on the battery have it LOAD tested. before startup it should be at least 12.5 volts. While driving the voltage from charging should be 14.2-14.5 volts.

Let me know about the above, then I can look at the FSM sensor diagnostics in detail.

Ignition

Car has 124000 miles on it. Owned car 15 years. Ignition switch and battery replaced last December. Car starts on very first crank when engine is cold. If driven and turned engine off, try immediate restart, it will not turn over makes sounds like low voltage crank. Car going back to dealer this morning.
Not concerned with the speedometer and the other 2 codes at this time, we can diagnosis on that later. P0342 is Camshaft Sensor Low Voltage. Assuming you have good battery voltage I think you need to check the sensor wiring and connection. Unplug the connector and inspect it for good pins (3) and make sure it is clean. Sounds like the sensor could be going bad, I have seen them go before. This is your second sensor code.

How many miles on the car? I am wondering if the no start issue may be a bad ignition switch (electrical portion). Does it crank over fine but not start?

If you have any questions on the battery have it LOAD tested. before startup it should be at least 12.5 volts. While driving the voltage from charging should be 14.2-14.5 volts.

Let me know about the above, then I can look at the FSM sensor diagnostics in detail.

Sounds like the starter is the problem. It gets hot and the internal resistance goes up causing a hard restart until it is cold again.

Dealer evaluation so far.

Dealer pulled manifold and checked the Camshaft sensor. It was good. However, there is a voltage drop from the main harness to the sensor. They are now checking all wires looking for the bad one(s). That is the only thing they have found wrong so far. Waiting on answer.

Make sure you talk to them about the starter. At 124,000 miles it is old and I think is why you have a hot no start problem. Very classic issue.

Update

The dealer found several wires damaged and replaced them. Retested Camshaft sensor, still not getting the correct votage reading, so are replaceing that sensor, since engine is apart. They found the PCM in bad shape and replacing it. Part is in the mail, should be done next week. Found a company that has this part for 97 vette and reprograms it to my VIN. Will post again after all this next week. Told them about starter, but no answer yet. I think they are waitng for all parts to arrive to install them and see what happens. They have had car for 3 weeks. Have told me I will no longer be charged for labor on this job to help keep price down.
Make sure you talk to them about the starter. At 124,000 miles it is old and I think is why you have a hot no start problem. Very classic issue.

Sounds like they are going to get you fixed up. Let us know how it goes.

She's alive!!!!

Got car back today. Everything is working, just like old times. The new PCM did the job. What a relief. Stopped and started the car often, quick start everytime. Thanks for all your help. Got to admit this site is worth it's weight in gold or fiberglass whichever rocks your boat.
Sounds like they are going to get you fixed up. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like you found a good troubleshooting dealership. So many are "parts replacers". Glad you got it running again.

Good for you. I assume the bad wires affected the EBCM?

Follow up

The dealer cleaned the connector, which needed it, and the ABS light went out and it works fine.For anyone else that needs a "Power Control Module" Here is the website(also on EBAY)PCMperformance.com.Hope all who are having this issue, it turns out as good for you as it did for me. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Good for you. I assume the bad wires affected the EBCM?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom