Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC and Fan Motor Problems...?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Besides the Fuse Block is there anything that would (Trip-off) the AC Compressor and Fan Blower Motor?
Reason...I turned on the AC it worked great for a few moments (very cold) then it went Dead...no blower Fan no click/click to the AC Compressor nothing! All Fuses in the block are ok. Then, after some time with the AC switch on OFF and then back on > The AC and Fan Blower Motor worked fine again for a few moments then, everything died again.
;help

PS. even with the AC/Heater slider on the OFF position and w/the Key on "Run"...I always had a little Fan running noise...that's also dead now.

I don't have an '81 wiring diagram, but midyears and earlier C3's used a direct hot feed (red wire) from the horn relay with an in-line 30A fuse to power the A/C blower motor relay; if that fuse blows, no A/C. Your later car might have a self-resetting circuit breaker instead of a fuse for that circuit.

:beer

JohnZ...thanks for the feedback.
Now, everything for the AC, Heater and Blower Fan is Dead.
I'll have to look into what you mentioned as it would seem (by how it acted) there is some sort of "circuit Breaker" somewhere that was resetting itself. >But now it's dead for sure.
I believe I only saw a 30 amp Fuse for the ACC-Fan in the Fuse Block and that was good...not sure what the two relays are for in the Fuse Box?

Damn...of course my Chilton's book doesn't offer any wiring diagrams. :eyerole

Sounds like a bad A/C blower relay or faulty blower motor resistor. My blower relay is bolted to the firewall just right (Pass side) of center and the blower resistor is located on top of the fiberglass enclosure for the A/C evaporator.
Also, I would remove and look at the connectors on both the relay and resistor for nice clean connections.
You can pull the blower resistor out of the enclosure and look at the contact points. It may be as simple as spreading them apart a little and cleaning.
The 30amp fuse that energizes the high speed blower relay that John is talking about, well at least I have one and it is located on the outer firewall near the brake master cylinder and its power source is tapped off of fusible link A, but we are talking 1977.
Hope this helps,
Brian

Simple Fix...for now!

Thanks for all the feedback...
Turns out it was a simple bad connection at the Fuse Block under the dash.
I pulled the AC 24-amp fuse (it was good) however it's not making a very good connection in the block. Almost looks like that socket took some heat at one point.
Put the Fuse back and everything works.

What I would like to do is eliminate that socket and somehow run a new dedicated wire/fuse under the Hood some where where I could get at it easily...any tips?

Thanks Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom