Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC / CCM fuse blowing on 90 vette - need help urgently!!!

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Hi, my AC / CCM fuse has started blowing suddenly. A replacement only lasts a few minutes. I went through the diagnostic codes for the CCM which showed everything to be OK. Likewise I checked the AC codes which were OK although I must admit the system is out of freon. I also tried a slightly higher rated fuse (30A instead of 25A but that still went).

I guess it points to a short in the AC or CCM systems? Does anyone know how I can isolate the problem? Is it worth removing the AC controller (electronic air con) to see if the fuse still blows? I removed the AC controller and DIC to look for any signs of trapped or burned wires but haven't found anything out of place.

I'd really rather not tear the dash out any more than is necessary! Any help would be appreciated.

First

Disconnect the AC clutch... see if that solves the issue .

The Clutch is the HIGH current device.....

Next would be the relay for the AC clutch... have to look in book for more LOGICAL ideas.

Vig!

AC clutch/ relay

Thanks for the reply Vig, that'll be the first thing I try

I had the same thing on my 92. It was the blower motor for the AC/heater that ws gone.

AC CCM fuse

A per Vig's suggestion I pulled the AC relay and the fuse stays intact. My CCM now works and I've got my fuel info back (not that I need to see what mpg my Callaway gives!)

As soon as I put the relay back the fuse blows so the problem has to be with the AC. Problem is when I do the AC diagnostic I don't get any fault codes. Thanks to bad4red for the motor suggestion, I'll look at that.

Anyone know where else I should look?

I bought the car with no AC cooling - the compressor worked but I think the car was out of freon. I'm guessing that the AC clutch or pump might have given up because the gas contains lubricating oil and that may put a big draw on the system.

Any help would be appreciated - there aren't a lot of C4 experts this side of the pond!

I would check the relay first

Use the ohm meter and find out if the relay is electrically intact. Next I would suspect... the wiring under the bonnett ( Hood to us Yank's)

and see if anything is chafed / melted etc.

Vig!

If you are out of freon...the compressor will not cycle due to the pressure switch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom