Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Delco Rapidfire #5 Spark Plugs

Okay between your picture and Demps saying the small tip was the platinum, I got mixed up. It looked to me that the "red" plug's tip was smaller. Blue is good!

AnytownUSA said:
Okay between your picture and Demps saying the small tip was the platinum, I got mixed up. It looked to me that the "red" plug's tip was smaller. Blue is good!

It is. Look again at the pics I posted at the beginning of the thread. :)

The original AC Rapifire #5 was, basically, a high-performance version of the FR2LS, the OE plug for 90-92s.

The AC Rapidfire line was changed early last year from a non-platinum to a single platinum tipped design. Also the center electrode, which on the early RFs was fluted, was changed to a non fluted design. The rest of the RF's hi-po features, including the cut-back, pointed side electrode were retained.

From a performance standpoint the "new" RF5 is the same as the old RF5. The big change somes in spark plug durability, which, in some cases, is extended via the single-platinuim tip.

Of course, with the LT5 and its DIS (which has cylinders firing with both polarities) single platinum plugs only offer the reliability increase in half the cyinders. So, with the new RapidFire design, the benefit to the LT5 user is mainly the slightly better performance gained over the OE plug. It is important to note that with DIS engines, the only way to get the full benefit of platinum tipped plugs is to use double-platinum-tipped units.

Lastly, for LT5s that do not see starts without warm ups and are driven aggressively, the Rapidfire #9 (equiv to the old FR1LS, the original LT5 OE plug) is the best choice.

ac plugs

The new plugs are probably made in Mexico. What a waste.>George

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom