Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Freon question HELP on my way to the "mechanic"

Joe Vette

Corvette
2005 Lemans Blue Coupe
I've had several serious problems with my 05 coupe. The latest is the AC failing after I had extensive work on the front of the engine. That's another story. Anyway I'm being told that my AC compressor won't kick on because I'm low on freon. My response was well there must be a leak. He replied not so the freon can just "run out" I think this is BS.
Any thoughts???

Joe,

If your freon is low, then there is a leak. If your A/C guy is telling you this, find another shop.

Need to find the leak. Look for oil stains on the components. They are going to have to charge the system with nitrogen and find the leak.

Cheers

Vito

The refrigerant in the HVAC does not just "run out". There has to be a leak somewhere.

If the refrigerant (not "freon" but R134a) has leaked to a point that air has gotten into it, the system needs to have more than just a "refill". It will need to be properly serviced.

An HVAC guy who says it can just run out lacks credibility. I'd take the car to a service facility which specializes in air conditioning work.

The best way to find a leak in a a/c system is to have your tech put dye in the system and look for the leak with a ultraviolet light.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom