Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

acceleration problem/idle problem

W

whitey

Thanks for all the help this site gives first, everybody is very knowledgeable. I have an 86 coupe and have been having an idle problem and did all of the recommendations and finally had to replace mass air flow sensor. I removed the valve covers in the time I was waiting for my new mass airflow sensor to arrive and polished and painted them and reinstalled them yesterday and installed new mass air flow and started car up. The car started fine and then it would not accelerate good. snap the throttle and car would practically fall on its face and even back fired once. The car know idles fairly good but at about 1200rpms. I remebered this morning that I had to disconnect EGR switch and reattach it, and it was behind distributor and I couldn't see if I got it connected properly. I had to disconnect it when I removed the EGR pipe to get valve cover off. If this is not hooked up right would this cause some of these symptoms. Also noticed that my Cooling fan came on as soon as the car started and it never has done that before just after it warmed up and came off and on. The car also had a different odor from the tailpipe. I did not drive car just sitting in garage. The problem I had before was start the car and it idled fine for a few seconds and then would just run real rich and idle real rough and then usually die. If you accelerated the car it ran fine and when it got a little warm idle like a kitten at 550 rpms.

Just checking, but did you make sure you installed the MAF in the correct direction?

Check TP, IAT sensor connections.

Almost sounds like you have a bad coolant temp sensor, or a bad connection at the above. Itshould be located in the front of the intake manifold. Good Luck!!!!!!:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom