Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

accusump port in block or heads

ZR1 MK

Corvette
ZR1 CORVETTE
Im thinking of using an accusump. Is there a port in the block or heads for better access than the oil lines Im currently using.
Mike

There is no better (ie: easier) access to the oiling system in the LT5 than the cooler connections.

Are you installing an Accusump becuase you've experienced oil pressure loss of fluctuation?

Hib Halverson said:
There is no better (ie: easier) access to the oiling system in the LT5 than the cooler connections.Are you installing an Accusump becuase you've experienced oil pressure loss of fluctuation?

No oil pressure problems. I have a pre oil pump with lines from the pan to the oil cooler line, so hookup would be easy, but direct connection to oil gallery is superior installation method. I have been road racing in de events for years, but I am thinking of getting an accusump accumulator for extra security. There is one turn at one track in particular that I plan to take a little harder this year and will put a little more strain on keeping the under control.
Mike

There are not any ports in the block or heads. For anyone interested, I will be drilling and tapping a hole in the oil filter housing on the outlet side of the oil filter.
Mike

Accusump/Sandwich Plate Adapter

Rather than molesting the LT5's oil filter casting, you might consider the use of one of these Frantz sandwich plates:

https://vs01.tvsecure.com/~vs01037/orders/show20.html

The D size sandwich plate will fit the ZR1's spin-on filter and only raises it about one inch. By using a sandwich plate, you will also be certain to provide oil to your spin-on filter from the Accusump reservoir before the oil flows back into your engine.

Another alternative for the Accusump return oil feed would be to use a T-fitting where the existing oil pressure gauge sender is located.

I think the use of an Accusump is a great idea for two reasons:
1. Prevents oil starvation in hard cornering or starts/stops
2. Provides start-up oil pressure, before the engine is cranked. This has to reduce engine wear.

Where are you going to mount the Accusump and what size unit are you going to use? The only way I could figure to mount it was to re-locate the battery to the behind the passenger seat and to locate the Accusump where the battery "used to be".

Thanks for info. I am deciding if I should do a remote filter, so I am reconsidering the drill and tap method I previuosly mentioned. Is there room for a sandwich type adapter and an oil filter on top? I have an adapter in mind, but this would be for a remoter filter. I plan to put a 2 qt unit mounted directly in front of the passenger seat strapped to the seat bottom bar. The seat will still be able to move a little without problems. A 3 qt will fit, but installation would be much harder and the oil lines would be run differently from what I plan to do. My pre-oil pump is located at my original battery location and my battery is located in the right rear storage compartment. Much better weight distribution with pump, battery and accumulator in locations I have mentioned. See my post below that was on another forum.

I currently have a pre-oil system. I went with the pre-oil pump for two reasons. One is that it drastically reduces engine wear and it saved me the $200 plus labor to install the updated right side chain tensioner that I would have done. I could have done the accusump, but chose the pump. I have a low oil pressure indicator that shows no oil starvation at my current pace on the road courses I currently use. I plan to push my car more this year and will be trying a few new tracks, so I'm going to install a 2 qt accusump accumulator. I figure this is a good time to also do a remote filter. Canton has a filter that is far superior to any currently available filter for the LT5 engine. The filter that interests me is 6 inches tall with filtration down to 8 microns, no bypass and will not burst under any conditions (cold oil temp or pressure) the LT5 can throw at it. The LT5 filter housing has a bypass, so a filter bypass is redundant and unnecessary. The only issue for me is the extra 4.5' of 12 AN hose the oil pump would have to push oil thru, but I think the stock LT5 oil pump puts out enough volume and pressure were this would not create any problem under sustained high rpm use. See link for filter info and good technical info on oil filtration. Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.
http://www.cmfilters.com/remote.cfm#
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom