Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Acquiring an 82 cross fire

Headers will help a lot!

Don't worry about the heads and cam right now. Just have fun with it.

Even the mighty oak tree starts out as an acorn. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renegade intake

Welcome to the :CAC

The crossfire gets a bad rap because people don't know how to work on them AND they don't know why certain things were engineered the way they were.

The cars themselves are good- it's the intake, fuel delivery system, ECM, cam, and heads that aren't performance oriented. All that can be addressed though. Most people just don't take the time to learn about them and understand them.

You can certainly replace the OE engine with a 383, side exhaust, and go carbed. Lots of people have done that. There are kits for the 700R4's lock-up that make it either manual with a switch or use a stand-alone harness with a speed sensor and brake switch.

Lots of options... you can re-PIN the harness for port fuel injection, add in the remaining wires for a port harness, and run with an LT1, TPI, etc. Heck- you could even upgrade to an LS1 and retain a significant amount of the EFI harness in place if you are willing to study which wires you need to keep and make a list of which ones you need to add when you re-PIN it.

You have LOTS of choices these days- some choices cost LOTS more $$$ than others. :chuckle :thumb

Either way... welcome to the CAC!
Will the Renegade intake help my 82 collector edition an in what way. like your vette by the way. also may add Borla exhaust. Thanks

Will the Renegade intake help my 82 collector edition an in what way. like your vette by the way. also may add Borla exhaust. Thanks

It can serve as a good foundation for future mods... by itself, it should run a little better at higher RPMs with the Renegade.

If you bump the fuel pressure up 1-2lbs, that will help too. That will make the car run a little richer at WOT (where you want it to be richer because you are flowing a little more air) and closed loop will take some of that fuel out driving around when you aren't in wide open throttle (WOT). Ideally, you'd adjust the ECM's calibration settings though. ;)

In a stock engine you will see some small increases in performance where you trade a small amount of low end torque for a small increase in upper RPM HP.

The exhaust is really restrictive and power robbing. The y-pipe is 2.5 if I recall... so, its really too small for the engine. Getting true duals with a crossover will help a lot- potentially more than what the Renegade would do on a stock motor.

To really notice anything, you'll need a bigger cam (to move more air to the chambers), the Renegade (move that air to the heads), and a new ECM calibration (because you are moving more air and fuel) at a minimum. If you go a lot bigger on the cam, you will need bigger injectors and larger TBs. :thumb

Kane, got a question. (Go figure). I got my TB's back and reinstalled and the car fires right up no problem. But if you didn't know any better you would think it had a mild cam installed...rough loping idle. But looking at the TB's and comparing the opening of the butterflies, the right bank TB butterfly is opened more than the left side. You can see a gap on the right but very little to no gap on the left. Kind of like the engine is starving for air for the cylinders the left one handles. You open them up and it smooths out. I'm guessing they should be equal, if so how do you adjust it out? Oh also it had this issue before when I purchased the car.
Thank you sir.

Last edited:
Sounds like your TBs are out of balance.
You can set the balance rather easy- you will need to cut the weld on the balance screw on the linkage and knock out the rear TBs anti-tamper plug in the idle set screw passage.

There is a great post in the crossfire section on the CAC on how to set the balance by GeekinaVette

Thanks Kane

There is a great post in the crossfire section on the CAC on how to set the balance by GeekinaVette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Thanks Kane! Nailed it. Runs great, idles like new and great off the line, no hesitations and breaks them loose!! Very happy!!!!
Great knowledge!
Bobby

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom