Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Acquiring an 82 cross fire

newtwoC-4

Corvette
1993 Forrest Green Coupe, 1982 Red Coupe
Hey guys, I'm possibly going to be acquiring an 82 coupe w the crossfire set up. Haven't really heard many "good" thing about it. My question is, can't I pull the original engine set up out and put in a 383 carb'd engine w/ side exiting headers/ side pipes? I know the engine is computer controlled along w/ the lock up converter. What else would the computer control and can you by pass it and get a lock up switch for the transmission?
Thanks in advance.
Bobby

Welcome to the :CAC

The crossfire gets a bad rap because people don't know how to work on them AND they don't know why certain things were engineered the way they were.

The cars themselves are good- it's the intake, fuel delivery system, ECM, cam, and heads that aren't performance oriented. All that can be addressed though. Most people just don't take the time to learn about them and understand them.

You can certainly replace the OE engine with a 383, side exhaust, and go carbed. Lots of people have done that. There are kits for the 700R4's lock-up that make it either manual with a switch or use a stand-alone harness with a speed sensor and brake switch.

Lots of options... you can re-PIN the harness for port fuel injection, add in the remaining wires for a port harness, and run with an LT1, TPI, etc. Heck- you could even upgrade to an LS1 and retain a significant amount of the EFI harness in place if you are willing to study which wires you need to keep and make a list of which ones you need to add when you re-PIN it.

You have LOTS of choices these days- some choices cost LOTS more $$$ than others. :chuckle :thumb

Either way... welcome to the CAC!

Thanks Kane. My eyes have been opened. So basically replace the top of the engine and your good. Lol. As far as the ECM is that something that's reprogrammed like the newer vehicles?

:welcome

As Kane said most guys just don't understand them. I didn't so when I was looking for mine I'd eliminated the 82 as an option. Now I now a little more I would consider one. (not sure about that auto only though, could be converted to manual I guess)

If you do get one, enjoy the car for a little bit before you make any major changes. It'll help you decide which way you want to go.

The factory cam is kinda small- but it works great with the small port OE intake for a 200hp/285lbs-ft tq motor.

GM took a crossram intake which excels at 3k rpm and above and "optimized" it to create low end torque and live quietly at low rpm.

So, to do that... GM narrowed the ports on the intake at the heads to create more velocity. That worked for the OE cam since it is small-ish makes its power down low, but it chokes the engine at high rpm if a bigger cam and better heads are used.
Then there is the fuel system with 66/64lb injectors at 13psi in the rail- which is (barely) enough for the OE motor- but again, as a complete package... the CFI works for what it is.

Modern ECMs help a lot- as do aftermarket intakes, larger injectors, etc.- as long as the whole thing is thought out as an integrated system and the parts that are used complement each other.

Modifying a crossfire injection system isn't rocket science- but it is also more time consuming than most folks are willing to put in to modify.

People look at the dual air cleaners and laugh - until I show them the time slip with a 5.2 second 0-60mph time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antz81 I'll probably go ahead and get it, but it's kind of hard to go from a LT1 down to the Crossfire...but I'll drive it as is until more funding rolls in.😎🏁

Kane, it's all sounding very doable, I'll study up on the system so I got it all figured out before I jump into changing things up. But, I appreciate your input. It's been very helpful in my decision.:happyanim:🏁

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!!

there is an entire section for the crossfire,if you haven't seen it yet...

Hi Bobby :w
to add to what the guys are saying: Yes, one can mod the hell out of the X-Fire, but, some just learn how to adjust it right and have a nice driver. Mine has been running for the 23 years i've had her and i havent been let down more than a handfull of times. Yes, you need learn about the way to adjust it properly. It took ages for me to get the hang of it and to find someone who invests the time and does it correctly. It's not a rocket, it wasnt designed to be. But for a 34 year old car, the get up and go is good. Highway speed: Not so much. We have a 82 CE here in Germany which has been modded with a different top and runs 250+ km/h (well, thats when the drivers foot gave up , it would run more), but it also was modded in brakes and the entire car was updated to be able to handle driving and most importantly stopping from those speeds. When i go fast, say 100 mph, it feels like it takes another mile and a half to slow down. So, very long blather short: Yes, they can be adjusted to drive nicely, many do, once you know and find the procedures. And yes, one can make it a 5.2 sec car (Dang Kane! :cool!:) when doing it right..

:w Welcome to the CAC!
Stefan

no fear

Don't be afraid of a Crossfire. Even if you keep it stock, it's a fun car to drive. I had an '84 with Crossfire and it started quickly every time, pulled hard through the gears (4+3), and got 30+ MPG on the highway. Sometimes I wish I still had it. The engine, as said by others, was not particularly fast, but respectable for its time as it was designed to be fuel efficient and conform with emissions standards. It doesn't compare with the later LT and LS engines as there are continuous improvements in HP every year. It shouldn't be expected to perform like a Z06 but why would it? Mine had the Dana 36 rearend (as opposed to the Dana 44) and I'm not sure what the '82 since it is a C3. If you mod the engine extensively, be advised that the rearend may be a weak point.

I've got the car.

Thanks for all the good advice from all of y'all, it's much appreciated! Antz81, I'll stick with the original set up w the throttle bodies. Ive sent them
out to be cleaned, rebuilt and tested. That should take care of a few issues I've ran into so far.
I've seen on some other forums there are some pretty die hard Crossfire fans out there. They take it pretty seriously!
But on another note...I'm still wanting to go with the headers w the side pipes. What's gonna happen when the air pump is bypassed since the headers don't have the air ports? Can I remove it completely w/o any side effects?
Thanks again, Bobby

You should be able to remove the AIR pump, hoses, and associated parts easily with no impact to the car.

However... if you want to run side pipes... YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE AN O2 SENSOR BUNG WELDED INTO THE EXHAUST PIPE.

The ECM will throw a code without the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor is critical to the car's ability to run in closed loop and trim the fuel.

Welcome to CAC. :w You have people here who can/will help you with your CF. Kane has posted threads about his quest to coax more from his CF. He'll help you through. :thumb

Thanks Kane, your a wealth of information! Was already thinking about the o2 sensor.

Fuel Pump Hot All the time.....

Before I purchased this vehicle the engine had been swapped w a new GM Crate 350, nothing special... By a Corvette Shop... But after it was installed the fuel Pump is on all the time unless you pull the fuse in the battery compartment. I'm guessing a wire must of gotten connected incorrectly under the hood. Does anyone know where the ign point would be under the hood that would energize the relay by the ECM going to the fuel pump?

But other than that just waiting on parts to come in along with the rebuilt throttle bodies so I can fire this baby up and hopefully hear a smoother running ride.
Thanks again for all the helpful info!
Bobby

Do you know which crate motor from GM they put in?

My sense is that the fuel pump relay has gone out.

The VC11, it's a reman motor.

Basically its a replacement for years 78-85, vin code L,M,P. 2 bolt main. only cost at the time about 2000.00. Put out by PROFormance Powertrain, VC11 Chevy 350 Remanufactured. But actually hoping the heads are a little larger for more air flow.....
I tried attaching a pic, of the info but my phone wouldn't allow it.
so your thinking the relay is bad and is stuck closed?

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know what specs are for that engine's camshaft. It's a universal fit engine but they don't say what the cam is.

If I had to guess, it's the same cam used in the 195 hp (up to 260 hp) GM engine that you can buy over-the-counter.

The heads are going to be your typical smog era heads.

Bummer... well I'll enjoy it for a years or so and then do some playing. Ill check out the relay, hopefully that will clear up the always on fuel pump. Headers will be in sometime next week, cant wait to get those on!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom