Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Active Handling System

1av8r

Corvette
2004 silver metallic conv.
I am new to this forum but want to provide some info relating to the active handling, specifically what I experienced with my 2004 corvette (conv). I purchased the auto 13 months ago with 55k miles and have added about 6k since then. Shortly after purchase I noticed the warning light coming on intermittently re: active handling and the msg 'service active handling'. I took the car to a dealer and the steering column sensor was replaced. Soon I started experiencing the light coming on and at the same time the car either cutting out (power) or the brakes being applied inadvertently. This happened a bunch of times. The dealer checked this out but could not determine the problem. I took the car to another dealer who determined both the EBCM and BPMV units needed replacing. This was done this week and so far, so good. Cost $3400 but fortunately my warranty covered it. I had done much research thru different forums to find other owners' experiences with this and found that to be real helpful. Hopefully this info will point someone in the right direction if having a similar problem. One thing is sure; corvettes are costly to repair.

I'm not going to say the diagnoses you were provided are right or wrong, but the rule of thumb on the C5 is: when you're getting weird systems-related glitches, get the battery checked or consider just replacing it before going down the path of shot-in-the-dark parts replacement -- which, as you noted, can get expensive (particularly when the repair shop/dealer is just guessing...).

Weak batteries on the C5 (or really, any modern vehicle), seem to cause the bulk of the weird electrical issues, and replacing a weak battery often alleviates them.

Good luck!

Welcome to the CAC 1av8r......:w You are right about the costs being high, ouch. Tim is right about the battery, have it checked as well.

Active Handling

Welcome to the CAC 1av8r......:w You are right about the costs being high, ouch. Tim is right about the battery, have it checked as well.

Thanks to both of you who responded. Coincidentally I replaced the battery just over a month ago. I was not aware of the significance of it, though, with these systems. I appreciate the input.

Thanks to both of you who responded. Coincidentally I replaced the battery just over a month ago. I was not aware of the significance of it, though, with these systems. I appreciate the input.

No worries! Keep in mind that the C5 is particular about even new batteries with the improper ratings. It wouldn't hurt to review this thread, although the specific battery model discussed therein it isn't applicable to the 2004 models (side post vs. top post).

For a variety of reasons I recently replaced my 2002 Vert battery with the one recommended in the videos linked to the string referenced above.*

AC Delco Professional 78-6yr 700 CCA 120RC #19001632

I only discovered the old battery was completely incorrect after pulling it out because the AC Delco labeling was on the back side and couldn't be viewed in the battery bay.

The car systems and starting are better in all respects. The problem was that the Chevy dealer was of zero help and twice gave me the wrong battery and even went so far as to tell me that the above battery was no longer being made. I finally called AC Delco and they agreed the battery was correct and was still in production.

The third time I went to the dealership they actually had the above battery in stock after all. Geeeezzz.

Anyway, the gentleman in the referenced videos knows far more than I ever will about C5 batteries and C5 electrical systems so I'm happy to take him at his word. Do I know why 120RC is better than 110RC or 100RC? Nope. Will a Chevy dealer try to substitute other batteries? Yes. Does the Chevy parts book show different batteries for the C5? Yes.

Of course, those same GM folks are the people that put the wrong exhaust, the wrong intake system, the wrong radiator and cooling system, the wrong size wheels and tires, and the wrong column lock system on all stock C5s. So, what else is new?

* http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...rformance/122487-c5-column-lock-debunked.html

Active Handling

Thanks for the education. My car was back in the shop to replace the steering column sensor (recently replaced elsewhere). The wire connections are now soldered as compared to whatever the situation was before. If the warning system activates again I may need to explore the battery issue. This has become annoying and previously was a 'safety of flight' issue.
For a variety of reasons I recently replaced my 2002 Vert battery with the one recommended in the videos linked to the string referenced above.*

AC Delco Professional 78-6yr 700 CCA 120RC #19001632

I only discovered the old battery was completely incorrect after pulling it out because the AC Delco labeling was on the back side and couldn't be viewed in the battery bay.

The car systems and starting are better in all respects. The problem was that the Chevy dealer was of zero help and twice gave me the wrong battery and even went so far as to tell me that the above battery was no longer being made. I finally called AC Delco and they agreed the battery was correct and was still in production.

The third time I went to the dealership they actually had the above battery in stock after all. Geeeezzz.

Anyway, the gentleman in the referenced videos knows far more than I ever will about C5 batteries and C5 electrical systems so I'm happy to take him at his word. Do I know why 120RC is better than 110RC or 100RC? Nope. Will a Chevy dealer try to substitute other batteries? Yes. Does the Chevy parts book show different batteries for the C5? Yes.

Of course, those same GM folks are the people that put the wrong exhaust, the wrong intake system, the wrong radiator and cooling system, the wrong size wheels and tires, and the wrong column lock system on all stock C5s. So, what else is new?

* http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...rformance/122487-c5-column-lock-debunked.html

The dealer checked this out but could not determine the problem.

That statement always blows my mind, however, it never surprises me anymore. If the technicians were to actually use their service manuals, they would be able to figure out exactly what is wrong with these cars. The service manual actually walks you through a flow chart so that you can properly diagnose any issue you may have. Some of these guys at the dealership barely know more about these cars than my 7 year old. :mad

So after reading this thread I went out and checked my battery I got from the Chevy store and find it's a 7 year AC with 700 CCA with only 95RC. Am I screwed on this or will it work on my C5? What is the RC and how will that effect my long term? I have had no problems with anything on the car. What came stock from the factory on these 02's?

The battery mentioned in this thread is what came in your car and is what should be in it. Somewhere down the line, you will eventually start having issues with that battery as it will probably die before its time. Keep in mind that it won't completely die, it will just be the origin to some weird problems that will not seem like a battery related issue.

Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 ° F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts. For more understanding about how batteries work and the importance of their ratings, see this article. This will help you understand why the column lock issue happened and also why it is often misdiagnosed. IMHO, the GM TSB's concerning this issue really don't address the real problem, they are more of a trip around the problem. GM should have insisted that people get the right battery for their car or replace the worn one they were using.

Marcus, AJ is right. As far as your battery, you're probably OK for the time being. It will die, probably before it's time or start giving you weird problems. The C5 is really hard (it appears) on batteries and if they are the least bit weak strange things start to happen.

Marcus, AJ is right. As far as your battery, you're probably OK for the time being. It will die, probably before it's time or start giving you weird problems. The C5 is really hard (it appears) on batteries and if they are the least bit weak strange things start to happen.

Weird is an understatement with these cars. You might go to get in your car one day and find Dorothy & Toto sitting there waiting for you. That's a sign it's time for a new battery... or better drugs. :rotfl

LOL on Dot and Toto....what frys me is I watched that vid that Tom had put up about the guy talking about the batteries. I was concentrating on the 700 CA and completley spaced off on the RC's........Plus the dumb ass at the parts counter said that what I bought was as strong a battery as AC makes....which makes me a dumb ass also......so when two dumb asses get together you get a double dumb ass event.......I think I will take it back today and tell them I want the real one........:mad

Active handling system

Welcome to CAC !! :w :D :cool!: YOU lucked out with active handling repair .Iwent thru this with my "00 coupe. Corvettes love to EAT batteries . I went with a OPTIMA YELLOW a few years ago .I put a 2amp charger on it once a week if I did not drive my TOY!! Different story , replaced battery in my wifes "09 G-6 with a DURALAST autozone,there best.Afew months ago G -6 flashes a message on dash for about 2 seconds. GM dealer tested battery&reported only 345cca,13.4 volts .Orginal battery only 2 yrs old. Took back and exchanged tried to tell me battery OK .any way welcome to CAC! LIFE IS SHORT ,ENJOY THE RIDE !!! :pat :bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom