Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding AC hurts resale value???

65 Sting

I have a 65 sting coupe that came without air from the factory. But, since I live in Florida, and alot of warm driving weather, I was wanting to add Vintage Air to it.
Some local vette owners told me that if I add air to a non-factory optioned vette, it would hurt future resale value.
Any opinions....... this is a fully restored car, but not to NCRS standards.
I drive it to local car shows and cruising on weekends.
Thanks,
Steve

65 Sting said:
I have a 65 sting coupe that came without air from the factory. But, since I live in Florida, and alot of warm driving weather, I was wanting to add Vintage Air to it.
Some local vette owners told me that if I add air to a non-factory optioned vette, it would hurt future resale value.
Thanks,
Steve

Sounds like we have cars in similar condition. To me AC is a must. These cars are hot and can be very uncomfortable to drive even short distances in the dead of summer. Adding AC is one of my goals also, and from what I've read if you pick the right sytem there is no permanent damage to the car.

You will only increase your enjoyment of the car, Go for it!

you can add a Vintage Air system, and the car can be returned to "as original" condition prior to sale or by next owner. Mine had a VA system on it when I acquired it, since removed.

I installed a Classic Auto Air Unit on my 64 No major changes to the car and I saved all items I removed so at any time it can go back to original. When I researched the different units available all of them seemed to have one weak link... the micro switch that turns the compressor on. It's also a PITA to replace. My solution was to wire in a rocker switch and install in on a side panel they provide. All in all it was a very easy install and tho not factory, it does look good. It's pleasure to drive now in the Las Vegas heat.

65 Sting said:
Thanks,
Steve

Let the next guy worry about the value. There systems are non invasive and leave little scars. Just install it.

I vacation down in clearwater in spring can I contact you in april and you let me know where all the cruises are?

Ac

I guess i'd install it in a heartbeat. Why do people always think about the next guy who's going to own the ride?? (myself included):confused

It is always going to look like an add on POS, if that does not bother you.......
As for letting the "other guy" worry about value, I'd worry a lot about value if I were the seller
JMO
jer

sting66ray said:
:CAC Welcome Jerry, good to see you here.

Tom McCabe

Hey Tom, I get by here once & awhile now if they'd just restore ny status to something other than newbie :)

3X2-427 said:
Hey Tom, I get by here once & awhile now if they'd just restore ny status to something other than newbie :)

I'm working on it. :w

Tom

3X2-427 said:
It is always going to look like an add on POS, if that does not bother you.......
As for letting the "other guy" worry about value, I'd worry a lot about value if I were the seller
JMO
jer

Jerry GREAT to hear from you,I have saved a magazine article from a while back with you and your car in it,hoping you would stop in,PM me if you need an extra copy. You may not remember me but I used to frequent CF and you helped me get a top for my 66.

Larry

Many of Jerry's masterpieces have been featured in the last year in "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, and there are more features to come; his two most recent C2 restorations ('65 and '66 A/C convertibles) Top-Flighted together at the Winter Regional in Orlando in January. :)
:beer

I will eventually add Vintage Air to my '65. Even with extra insulation on the floor boards, it is hot in the car in geargia summers!! I agree with most above. If it's a driver, cool it. If a trailer queen, who cares.

VA told me that they can also provide a polished (not chromed) compressor.

JohnZ said:
Many of Jerry's masterpieces have been featured in the last year in "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, and there are more features to come; his two most recent C2 restorations ('65 and '66 A/C convertibles) Top-Flighted together at the Winter Regional in Orlando in January. :)

Yeah, Jerry does do pretty work. I still think Jack is the brains behind that operation.:D Hi, Jerry.:D

I also converted my '66 coupe over to VA, the car's in very good condition but a definite driver...the next owner has all the parts to return it to original condition

Air or not to Air?

I live across the bay in Tampa. I got caught in one of our famous 3PM summer storms in my 68 without air. The windows fogged. If I opened them I would drown from the rain. I installed factory air box with a Sanden compressor. What a difference. I am in the process of doing a frame off on a 66 coupe. I already purchased a VA system and will install when my body comes back from the paint shop. Go ahead and install the VA system and forget about the next guy. Hey Florida guys, any local shows on the agenda? Good luck. The other Jerry.

AC is a must have for me at least. Couldn't even think about not having it in FLorida. You can always remove if needed to. Mark.

Not to mention the handsome guy riding shotgun in one of those pictorials. Hey Jer what's happening? You've been missed.
JohnZ said:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom