Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Additional heater shut off valve. Do Corvettes Float? Hurricane in NJ

retired ralph

Corvette
1974 White
Is it feasable to put a shut off valve on the heater hose? If so, where do I put it? In or out of the core. Thanks Ralph. PS: Waiting out the Hurricane in Atlantic City NJ area. If you don't hear from me on Monday come get my vette, if it did not float away.

Yes, you can fit one and many have done so. It doesn't matter which hose it is added to or where it is located but many choose to hide it somewhere purely for aesthetic reasons.

And yes, Corvettes will float to a certain extent. I recall seeing a video of a '65 BB car sloshing around in it's garage during a Florida hurricane. May you not be so lucky to get that close to the ocean.

I had the same problem, even with a new heater shut off valve I still had warm air into the car. Almost by luck I looked on top of the heater box inside the car. On top is the switch that will open or close the vacuumline to the shut off valve. Even with the selector on cold the switch didn't open the vacuumline. The temperature selector will turn a steel "arm" that will push the switch in when the selector is all the way to the left (cold). On mine the steel arm was still a few mm from the switch when fully on cold. So I reinstalled the switch 1/2" toward the steel arm and now when the selector is on cold the vacuumline is working perfectly, shut off valve is working and no more warm air into the vette. Maybe an idea to look into :)
When Irene has passed! Good luck!

Greetings Peter

Got heat?

Hi RR,
On my 74 SB W/ A/C there is a vacuum actuated heater shut off valve installed on the 5/8 heater hose.
Turning the thumb wheel towards heat sends vacuum to open the valve and let the hot water circulate.
Don't you have the same?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom