Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Advice on buying first Corvette

rodwil

I am seeking advice on buying my first Corvette. I am considering a 1993 coupe with 39,000 (supposedly) original miles. It has been sitting without being driven much for the past 7 years. The body and interior are in almost new condition. I couldn't test drive it out on the highway because it is not licensed, but I drove it in the owner's subdivision. The engine ran fine, but it had a lot of shimmy in the steering. The owner said that there are probably flat spots on the wheels from sitting and that they would level out after being driven a while. Also, when going over speed bumps, there was considerable squeeking from the rear suspension. With it not being licensed and located a considerable distance from where I live, I probably won't be able to have my mechanic check it out. He also said it is his mother's car who lives on the other side of the country, and he will have to send a bill of sale to her by express mail to be signed. So, there are some hassles, but it appears to be a potential gem. Any advice from old pros?

Rodwil - first - welcome to the Corvette Action Center! Second - alarm bells are going off in my head right about now!

Okay - maybe I'm being too cautious, but I think caution is warranted here.

I'm just not real mechanically inclined so I'm afraid I won't be much help, but maybe I can give you some food for thought until some of our members with a bit more grease under their nails come along.

I'd be nervous about a 15 year old car that has sat for 7 of those years. Seems to me that hoses and belts will need to be replaced. And I'd suspect those tires will need to be replaced too. And you'll want to see if there is a spare with the car... I learned the hard way that there wasn't one on mine - and I couldn't find a used one so I had to buy a new wheel and donut tire. Unless the weatherstripping has been conditioned while she sat, I'd think that would possibly be getting brittle and prone to leak.

Any leaks under the front end? The first 6 or 8 months I owned my '94 I had to replace the water pump and front seal... that was expensive!

What about the windshield wipers, headlight doors, windows, radio...

I'm not sure about the front end shimmy or the squeaking rearend. Some of our gearheads would be better equipped to discuss those issues.

Okay... I don't mean to bash the C4. My first was a C4 and I loved it! But repairs weren't cheap and I couldn't wrench on her myself which means I paid dearly for the lessons I learned.

While you're waiting for more replies, take a look at this link:

Buying A Corvette Checklist

And if you're serious, do yourself a favor and print a copy to carry along when you're looking.

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

Cars that sit for long periods develop problems that can be a real hassle. Hoses and belts don't like sitting. Seals don't either (water pump comes to mind).
Flat spotted tires may be the problem but it could be something else. 10 minutes on the road should round them out if that's the problem.
Squeeking rear suspension - another concern. May just need to be driven to get everything lubed up again. May be something more expensive.

Owner on a different side of the country is a concern. A 'power of attorney' could be used but that still means mailing something back and forth. Either way a bit of a hassle. Who has the title? It has to be signed by the owner also - at least in my state. Is it a clear title?

Some bells are ringing in my head also. Unless you're dead sat on this car, keep looking.

Rodwell,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and welcome to the world of Corvettes! You'll love both.

I would certainly have reservations about that '93 for the same reasons others have already stated. Also, I strongly suggest that you take your time and do your homework in your search for your first Corvette. Let me remind you that there are thousands of them for sale!! Many times, a prospective buyer becomes "smitten" with the first one he/she sees (ask me how I know that!;)) and will jump into it. Again, take your time. This particular '93 doesn't sound like one I would recommend.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Elaine

He also said it is his mother's car who lives on the other side of the country, and he will have to send a bill of sale to her by express mail to be signed.

His mother can sign a bill of sale BEFORE you give him your money! DO NOT give him any money until you are ready to pick up the Vette!
(Except for a deposit, of course!)

Also, she will need to sign the title on the back. These things can be done through the mail BEFORE you pick up the Vette.

SAVE THE :w

Welcome to the :CAC
I agree with the others on problems that occur when vehicles sit for extended periods of time, but you didn't mention the price and IMO that is the main thing on whether this is a good buy or not. I am kinda skeptical also on the "mom owns the car thing", but as was said before, don't pay any money until delivery. :w

A few thing to keep in mind:

the owner (his mother) can sign the bill of sale and title and he can keep them in a safe deposit box if he's afraid of having them in the house. Actually, if he realistically wants to sell this car he should have those documents in his possession. A buyer will want to make sure the VIN on the car matches the one on the title.

a car that has sat for 7 years most likely has dried out hoses, belts, tires, weather stripping and seals. Drive the car and check for leaks, especially under the engine.

if the car is too far away for your mechanic to check it out, contact a local Corvette club and ask if any members in the area can check the car for you.

Check with your state MVC to find out if there is a way to test drive the car on the highway. Unless you intend to use this car only around local subdivisions you'll need to know how it performs at highway speeds.

What is he asking for the car? Don't be swayed by low mileage, as others have pointed out a 15 year old car that's been sitting for 7 years could still need quite a bit of work.

I agree with the bit of caution here.. but just use logical sense on the Transaction..

One way to look at the Belts, leak and noises.. is that it is a 15+ year old car and even though it is low mileage and has been sitting.. Parts still fail due to age.. this is also normal to a point and you shuold consider that anything that can fail due to rubber, foam and seals aging is normal maintains and consider that you might or will have to catch up on the maintain of the car..

On almost every older car that I buy.. I always go into it as I will have to do the maintain and start changing the hoses, tune up, oil, filters and maybe suspension/brakes parts. I do this for my peice of mind and safety for myself (sometimes I get lucky and only have to do a few items).
On 71 Nova.(I picked it up two years ago). that has 35k on it now.. and was sitting in a estate before the sale.. I found the original fan belts & lower radiator hose still on the car.. and bias ply tires!.. talk about flat spots ! .. I can only assume that there are a lot more original OEM & Assembly line parts that I will be stil changing out..! LOL.. but back to the subject..

Just add it up and if the numbers come out to what you like, then think about it as maintain.. I do..

A few thing to keep in mind:

the owner (his mother) can sign the bill of sale and title and he can keep them in a safe deposit box if he's afraid of having them in the house. Actually, if he realistically wants to sell this car he should have those documents in his possession. A buyer will want to make sure the VIN on the car matches the one on the title.

a car that has sat for 7 years most likely has dried out hoses, belts, tires, weather stripping and seals. Drive the car and check for leaks, especially under the engine.

if the car is too far away for your mechanic to check it out, contact a local Corvette club and ask if any members in the area can check the car for you.

Check with your state MVC to find out if there is a way to test drive the car on the highway. Unless you intend to use this car only around local subdivisions you'll need to know how it performs at highway speeds.

What is he asking for the car? Don't be swayed by low mileage, as others have pointed out a 15 year old car that's been sitting for 7 years could still need quite a bit of work.

Check the date on the registration or the tag on the license plate, Mom could owe back taxes on the car too. If back taxes are owed, the car cannot be transfered without those back taxes being paid. The person selling the car alos maybe able to get a temp tag so it can be test driven on the highway. If you choose to shop around, check out www.buyavette.net, it a dealer that only deals in high quality vettes in Atlanta and will have the car shipped to you. This is the dealer I bought my Vette from.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have been travelling this week and haven't had a chance to review and respond. I need to make a decision tonight or tomorrow. I found out a little more information. This was his mother's car in Michigan. She shipped it to her son on the west coast in 2001 because she was going to move here, but then she decided not to. The seller said his mother kept the Michigan license current until 2 years ago, and she would drive it when she came to visit. So, it has not been licensed or driven much for two years. The asking price is $12,000. I asked if it is negotiable, and he said no because he is not motivated to sell it. His wife wants it out of the garage. The KBB value in my area is $11,855 for a '93 coupe in "excellent" condition. The body is virtually flawless, as is the interior. There is no cracking on the leather. He has the title which his mother signed since she gave the car to him. He just never transferred it to his name. My state requires a bill of sale, so she will need to sign one. I really don't have time to do much in terms of an inspection or a temporary registration to get it out on the road. I am leaning toward taking a chance on it.

The asking price is $12,000. I asked if it is negotiable, and he said no because he is not motivated to sell it. His wife wants it out of the garage.

Believe me, he's motivated.

$12K isn't a bad price, but you know you're taking a chance by not checking out the car thoroughly. Anyway, try offering $11k (make sure his wife is within earshot). If he says no give him your name and phone number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind.

I went out looking today and drove a C-5 (2004) coupe. It is more than I want to spend right now, but made me realize I don't want a C-4.

I went out looking today and drove a C-5 (2004) coupe. It is more than I want to spend right now, but made me realize I don't want a C-4.

The C5 is a much different and more refined car than the C4, just as the C4 was a big step up from the C3.

I broke the budget and bought a 2001 coupe today. It has 23,000 miles and is in like-new condition. I love it so far!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom