Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

aftermarket dimmer resistor?

rhino

Corvette
1990 white coupe
Has anyone ever heard of having to install a resistor in the dimmer line if you have installed an aftermaket stereo? My "sys" error is flashing since the new radio was installed and the check gauges flashes on and off in a random sequence. I have installed a new ccm but the problems still exist. The gas gauge reads full most of time as well. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. I was told that this is probably the cause of the problems but can't find what resistor should be installed.

Dimmer

I cant see that a aftermarked stereo should require a modification on your dimmer. Have you checked for shorts on your innstallation.

CCM
Did you just buy a new one and innstalled it or did you have to program it. I'm thinking about replacing mine due to a faulty high beam indicator. It's always on when the main lights are up (any beam).

Regards,
Steve

"sys" flashing

The "Sys" message will flash if your battery is weak as well as some other conditions. Since yours started after the radio install, that's likely the cause.
From Supporting Member Spanishvettes at the following thread (found by doing a search for “After market stereo resistor”)

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...&highlight=aftermarket+stereo+resistor&page=2

[FONT=&quot]“Here is the resistor info:

You need 2 ea. 1 kilo-ohm 1/2 watt resistors.

Connect both resistors to ignition power wire in the old Bose plug. It should be yellow.
Connect one resistor to the purple/white wire in the car.
Connect the other resistor to the grey/black wire in the car.
Insulate the resistors. I would use heat-shrink tubing.

Do not forget to disconnect the battery.”
[/FONT]
Hope this helps.

Has anyone ever heard of having to install a resistor in the dimmer line if you have installed an aftermaket stereo? My "sys" error is flashing since the new radio was installed and the check gauges flashes on and off in a random sequence. I have installed a new ccm but the problems still exist. The gas gauge reads full most of time as well. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. I was told that this is probably the cause of the problems but can't find what resistor should be installed.

I can give ALL the info you need. I just did it and it works like a champ. Basically you need to remove the console, shifter knob and boot console, air vent, new stereo, and find two wires on the OLD plug and cut two wires, strip them and instal the resistors and connect the ends of both resistors to the yellow power line. I can walk you through it if you need.

Paul

Thank you everyone that has posted potential help with my resistor problems. I have been more than a little frustrated with the problems related and am very happy to have something else to try. Thank you again everyone.

regards
Mark

Mark, have you found the information you needed?

What I did was buy the resistors at Radio Shack. I used the red crimp splices with a good ratcheting crimper. I also used heat shrink and shrunk it with a "Pyro pen" as it is a very tight area to work in. I have the TSB diagram from GM if you need me to e-mail it to you. It is also on this site, all you have to do is search for SYS light and you'll find an extensive conversation about it.

I was as frustrated as you about it and now it is solved. I even went so far as to bring a copy of the TSB to Best Buy where it was installed so other C4 owners wouldn't be pulling their hair out.

Let me know how it worked out or if you still need help.

Paul

Paul, so i am bridging the power wire to the other two wires with seperate resistors?

Yes, cut the yellow wire on the original plug, that is power, make sure to disconnect the battery. Splice the ends of each resistor to the yellow wire. Then splice the other ends to the other two wires. Make sure you use heat shrink to keep the resistor wires from touching each other. I will be checking my e-mail intermittently all day.

I am more than happy to help, I love doing this kind of stuff.

Good luck.

Paul

Yes, cut the yellow wire on the original plug, that is power, make sure to disconnect the battery. Splice the ends of each resistor to the yellow wire. Then splice the other ends to the other two wires. Make sure you use heat shrink to keep the resistor wires from touching each other. I will be checking my e-mail intermittently all day.

I am more than happy to help, I love doing this kind of stuff.

Good luck.

Paul

Paul, the gray/blackstripe and purple/white stripe and on two seperate plugs correct? The yellow power is seperate from both. I should have this done by this evening. I am praying that the sys message finally goes away!

The gray/black & purple/white wires are on the same plug according to the TSB I am looking at now.

I have three JPG's if you'd like me to send them to you. They are scans of the original GM service bulletin that describes how to do it. Lemme know if you need me to send it to you and an e-mail address.

Paul

The gray/black & purple/white wires are on the same plug according to the TSB I am looking at now.

I have three JPG's if you'd like me to send them to you. They are scans of the original GM service bulletin that describes how to do it. Lemme know if you need me to send it to you and an e-mail address.

Paul

That would be great. It may be different with the 1990. I will look at the back of the old radio also. My phone 717-648-0483 and my email is Rhinomerc23@yahoo.com I am still pretty sure that they are the same wires but I would love to be sure.

Hey Rick, let me know how you make out. It was good to speak with you today. Keep us posted.

Hey Rick, let me know how you make out. It was good to speak with you today. Keep us posted.

Paul, I have all of the resistors installed and took it out for a short ride. I will put some more miles on her this evening and let you know how we made out. It is refreshing to talk with people that are readily willing to help in any way they can. Thank you for your patients and assistance. Thanks again!

Mark

Mark, you're welcome. If you ever need any more help lemme know. Glad to hear you have it finished.

No SYS after 27 miles

Mark, you're welcome. If you ever need any more help lemme know. Glad to hear you have it finished.

Paul, thanks again. I have put 26 miles on her and no sys light yet. The fuel gauge is ready zero instead of full now and the check gauges light is still flashing on but no SYS light as of today.

You're welcome Mark. Now, as for the other problems. Have you jumped the pins on the OBD plug and looked for diagnostic codes? Since you disconnected the battery any codes you get will be very recent history (since reconnecting the battery) or current.

Paul

You're welcome Mark. Now, as for the other problems. Have you jumped the pins on the OBD plug and looked for diagnostic codes? Since you disconnected the battery any codes you get will be very recent history (since reconnecting the battery) or current.

Paul

Paul, i looked but my plug is rectagular in size and not numbered. How would i find the numbering sequence?

Mark, I am e-mailing to you 8 PDF files I just created so you will be able to do this. Remember however that yours is a 90 and mine is a 94 so if it doesn't work you may be able to search the forum and find what you are looking for or just post and ask. You will receive a lot of help.

When you read the PDF files you will have a good idea how it works.

Paul

Mark, I have sent all 8 PDF's. If for some reason you do not receive them all let me know and I will resend.

Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom