Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket Parts !!!!!!!!!!

Alan76

Corvette
1976 White 1973 Yellow 1969 Camaro White
In the last year I have done alot of work on my 1976 corvette. Part of the reason it has taken a year is sometimes the lack of motivation, but most of the time it has been wasting time try to get the crappy parts that yes some of the vendors who advertise here ar CAC, sell just down suckfrom the radiator that half ass fits the radiator support both new by the way. Hey use our pre bent exhaust, its easy just bolt it togather oh by the way its not bent to exactly fit as advertised these parts are expensive and it seems that they do care just show them the money. Maybe the don't they are buying bab copies of bad copies anybody else have these problems with these sorry parts

Alan

Yes, Plastic parts for the Tupperware interior on my 88. One day in the hot sun and they looked worse than what I replaced.

Have you spoken with customer services at any of your parts vendors? Most of them have toll free numbers. Call them. Do not email.

:thumb

Talk to customer service what a joke, I talk to different ones They all say it "we have doors we check the the window trim fits ours" Yea bull**** Some try to explain but give the impression they have not a clue

Alan, Right On!

Lots of stuff i buy for my '74 are clearly cheap reproductions, made by companies that see the opportunity to put the "corvette" label on something and sell it for double the amount it would be for any other car.

The fits are almost never right, and i've heard all the customer service excuses. My dad and i work on all kinds of cars in our small hot rod shop, and the parts "made for corvettes" are always the worst fitting, cheapest, require the most modification, all things sold separately, and are always the most expensive!

My opinion: Vendors figure if you can afford to restore a corvette, they can gouge you for parts, and you wont complain. Just my two cents.

I call this the "50% Hobby," because only about 50% of the parts you buy will fit, work, or perform as advertised (on a good day). The majority of my time spent on my '64 restoration was re-fabricating parts to make them fit and work as intended... welcome to the 50% hobby...

Lars

And then you have the original parts that came with the car and didn't even fit back then! :ugh Yes it's a nice 50% hobby!

Greetings Peter

I call this the "50% Hobby," because only about 50% of the parts you buy will fit, work, or perform as advertised (on a good day). The majority of my time spent on my '64 restoration was re-fabricating parts to make them fit and work as intended... welcome to the 50% hobby...

Lars

You're correct on that Lars. I have to fit every backing plate I get in when rebuilding trailing arms. Have to fit the SS parking brake hardware to keep springs from popping off and the list goes on.

Just an observation. Despite it's short comings, the aftermarket has come along ways. Back in the early '70's before the Corvette hobby took off, your choice of parts was very limited. There was the Chevrolet parts counter for new parts. If you couldn't get the parts from Chevrolet, then it was used parts from a swap meet or salvage yards. The other choice was to buy a car that had nice parts that you needed, swap the parts and then flip the car with your old parts. Given another thirty years, this discussion will probably be a mote point.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom