Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket wheels for '87...Ideas?

Big Red is right, if you plan to do any autocrossing you may want to be careful on how big you go. Even if they don't rub when you turn the wheels left and right, they may rub if you start pulling G's and hard conering. Just something to think about.

Mike

Add more and more things into the decision process guys! Everything makes sense so I'll have to decide what I'm going to use the car for this summer!
And how much of a hit I want my wallet to take!

thanks Rich!

i'll have to look that up so i can fix some chip damage before i get a full detail on her! I got 17's on my 87 (i'm going from memory here) 275/40/17's i notice no rub but the mufflers and rear tires only have about a 1/4 inch spacing so i think any more will rub unless you get spacers. My car had spacers when i bought it (unknowingly) and i didn't like how much the studs bit on the lugs only bout a 1/4 inch so i got them taken off and put back on with no problems. So if you want to go any fatter you might have to restud the whole car with longer studs to accomodate the spacers

Brian,

Are you not afraid the chrome wheels will damage soon? The chrome ones are very expencive you know. I do not know what you like most, but you can mount 335 under your car if you like, but you need to add grandsportflares, like I did.

The best size for the 335 is 13"wide rims. I Europe whe have only a few companys who make wheels in custom sizes. Amerikan cars are difficult to make the right off set.

vette_van_johnny.jpg

johnsig2.jpg

john

Sal, thanks for the link with pics! Those rims do look good on your ride.

PS, you really should do something about those small pipes tho! :BOW

Thanks for the other responses too!

No prob on the additional posts either, Vette fever can't be controlled........ we can't help it, its in our genes.....

Indy

My rims can be bought for $400.00 plus shipping. :)

Change of plans.....

Ok, I know that I said I would be ordering my new rims and tires from AFS this month but I just could not do it. Their wheel and tire combo is a great deal but they just were not the rims I wanted.

I ordered a set of billet aluminum rallys from Wheel Vintiques (www.wheelvintiques.com) instead. These are the ones that I really wanted so I broke down and spent the extra bucks to get them. 17x8 for the front and 17x11 for the rear. I ordered the tires from www.tirerack.com, 245/45WR17 for the front and 315/35ZR17 for the rear. The tires are Sumitomo tires...never heard of them but the rims broke my wallet so I had to go cheap on the tires.

Anyway, if you have not seen these rims go to the Wheel Vintiques web site and go to the Rally section. I'm getting the billet 90 series. Has anyone seen a set of these on a C4? I was looking for a "classic looking rim" to put on a C4 and this is the best looking rim that I could find. They should arrive early next week and as soon as I get them mounted I will post some pics

Mike:upthumbs

:J That oughta look good!

You can sorta get an idea of how it'll look by how they look on Lisa's Camaro. :upthumbs

_ken

Mike
I'm looking forward to seeing those rims on the C4. I bet they'll look great! As far as the tires I have a set sitting in my garage waiting for the rims to arrive! I really couldn't make up my mind about the tires. I did a bunch of research and it seemed like the Sumitomo's had mixed reviews. With the review I did notice one thing... People putting them on the beefed up Hondas and cars like that did not care for them. People putting them on NSX's, BMW's, and similiar type cars made for "more control" seemed to like them. I really couldn't find any feedback from Vette owners. Have a great day!
Erik

I guess you and I will have to put these tires to the test!!!
We will let the rest of you know what we think of them. The price was very good...I got all four in the sizes posted above for $560.00 including the shipping, not bad. Performace wise...we will just half to wait and see.

Thanks for checking the rims out Ken. The only thing that I did not like about the ones on Lisa's camaro was that she put the "disk type" center caps on. I think those looked a little goofy...to each his (or her) own I guess.

Anyway, I ordered the 1968 style disk brake center caps for mine, I think this will look a lot better.

I've been tracking my shippment at Fed Ex.com.... there getting closer to Raleigh, SWEET

:Twist

Mike

mb6970 said:
Change of plans.....

Ok, I know that I said I would be ordering my new rims and tires from AFS this month but I just could not do it. Their wheel and tire combo is a great deal but they just were not the rims I wanted.

I ordered a set of billet aluminum rallys from Wheel Vintiques (www.wheelvintiques.com) instead. These are the ones that I really wanted so I broke down and spent the extra bucks to get them. 17x8 for the front and 17x11 for the rear. I ordered the tires from www.tirerack.com, 245/45WR17 for the front and 315/35ZR17 for the rear. The tires are Sumitomo tires...never heard of them but the rims broke my wallet so I had to go cheap on the tires.

Anyway, if you have not seen these rims go to the Wheel Vintiques web site and go to the Rally section. I'm getting the billet 90 series. Has anyone seen a set of these on a C4? I was looking for a "classic looking rim" to put on a C4 and this is the best looking rim that I could find. They should arrive early next week and as soon as I get them mounted I will post some pics

Mike:upthumbs

This will be a unique look. I don't know if I have ever seen this kind of retro type stuff being done on a C4. I have seen where Barbie put the torque thrust style wheel on her 90 vert, and they look sweet. The Ralley wheel is cool looking, but always reminds me of the old steel bodied door slammers.

My jury will be out until I see a pic of these wheels on your car. I do admire you forging new territory. Unless this really catches on, you will have the pleasure of having a very unique look that stands out from the crowd.

69myway,
You have me figured out. That was my plan.... classic 60's and 70's style corvette look on a newer body style.

I have already talked to Ken about the sidepipes he is running. I figure with these ralleys and a set of sidepipes, I will be as close as I can get to having that "classic corvette look" on a C4.

I have yet to see a C4 or a C5 with these billet ralleys (the guys at Wheel Vintiques say they can make these rims to fit the C5 also) so if this turns out the way I think it will, just remember who started this fad!!!

I always have been the type that likes to deveate from the norm, I just hope the 6 months of research and saving was worth it. I'd hate to have spent all of this money and not have the look I was expecting. Either way it will be unique!!!:cool

Mike

I have bought several custom rims over the years. Some of my favorite included these that I put on my V8 Fiero

I thought these TSW Blades looked awesome on this car. Then, I started seeing them on Fieros everywhere. These were 17x7.5, and I can't remember the tire size.

driver%20side.jpg

I put these AZEV Type A in 17x9.5 on my 1985 Vette with 275/40ZR 17 Gator backs. I later put them on my 86 Convertible. Turns out the car has changed hands a couple of times since I sold it in 97, and is now a few miles from my house. These wheels look ultra hot on a C4. I miss them, and the car.

azev_a.jpg

My latest wheel pursuit is for my 69. I have ordered a set of Intro Pentias in 18x10 front and 18x12 rear. Like you, I am on perma hurry up and wait. The 12" hoops are hard to come by, and the tires are setting me back a mint. They will be 275/35 ZR 18 front and 335/30 ZR 18 rear. I am looking at either the Perelli or Michelin.
pentia.jpg

Picking out the right wheel for the car makes all the difference. The fellow I am getting the Pentia rim from has taken piece of junk cars, slapped a set of 20" rims on and won best of show awards.

You can look at the Intro line of wheels at:

Heavy Dzzzzzzzzz

Wheels and tires cost a ton of money, but that is where the "rubber hits the road".

If I was doing a C4, I think i would want these rims:

azev_typ_m.jpg

These are a new AZEV style.

You can learn more at AZEV

These things are expensive. I think I paid like $430 per wheel back in 94 when I put the Type A on my 85 model.

Those are some interesting rims. I really like the ones you are putting on your 69, those are sharp!!!

Just for fun, I'm going to check out those web sites. Hopefully I don't find something I like better. I don't think I've been to any of these sites so we'll see.

V8 Fiero....I bet that was a fun ride:upthumbs

Mike

Wow, with all these options you all have submitted, how's a guy supposed to choose the ones that are THE right ones????

Thanks and keep em coming!:confused :confused :beer

I like those last wheels Chris, they would look good on a C4.....Ive been looking at the Black GS wheels for some reason . I kinda like the quiet , low key look. Kinda sleeper style . My vette is a med. blue and Ive been considering some kind of black strip too. I would want the 17x 9.5 and the 11's......what do ya think?

you better use these wheels

click the link

These wheels are a new style, I think they can handle over 500 lb/ft on the rearwheels. I don't know what they cost, but it won't be much more than I pay for mine. 480$ a piece

86 tpi zf-6 Modified L98 270hp & 317 lb.ft Rearwheelpower

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom