Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypothetical question of C5 EBCM problemI am through banging my head against the wall trying to get this resolved, so I

From dadaroo's link

He had a new one put in???
Yeah, his is a 2003 Z06 and the problem only exists with the 1997, 1998 and 1999. The 2000 on up can be at least be rebuilt rather inexpensively. That was why my question was if '97 to'04 are C5's and the computer for the '99 and 2000 are identical, could I not somehow swap out whatever for the EBCM to work in my car. Another thought, several weeks ago I followed someone's advise and tried to make the ABS come to life, so I took it up to 60 miles an hour, engaged the clutch and leaned into the brakes. There was no pulsing, but the car did come to a sudden stop in a very short distance, with no burning rubber from the tires and no wheel pull. So, either I have excellent brakes with no ABS, or it is working. Thanks for again getting back to me, I did visit the link you sent me, but it did not do much to help. I realize that a used EBCM can be had for around $2,000.00, but to me it does not make a lot of sense to spend that amount of money for a part that even if it does work now, could possibly do the same as mine next month. There is a reason they quit making these things after the '99 model year. Vince

I kinda got lost on what year.

I'm not too sure why they quit making them. The usual reason is the OEM changed the design to add features which changed the packaging and that meant a new "box." Or the OEM needed better calibrations for emissions. Competitive bidding added a new supplier who submitted their design.
As usual, the "computer" in the new one is faster; however the new brains PGA (pins) are different so that meant an new board.
Today the 2000 up can be rebuilt inexpensively unless GM used "custom" stuff which means the circle repeats.

I have a 97 with a sizable amount of change invested in the engine. It is a high ten machine; so I have a "vested" interest.

1997 - 2000 Chevrolet Corvette EBTCM Rebuild Service

I kinda got lost on what year.

I'm not too sure why they quit making them. The usual reason is the OEM changed the design to add features which changed the packaging and that meant a new "box." Or the OEM needed better calibrations for emissions. Competitive bidding added a new supplier who submitted their design.
As usual, the "computer" in the new one is faster; however the new brains PGA (pins) are different so that meant an new board.
Today the 2000 up can be rebuilt inexpensively unless GM used "custom" stuff which means the circle repeats.

I have a 97 with a sizable amount of change invested in the engine. It is a high ten machine; so I have a "vested" interest.

1997 - 2000 Chevrolet Corvette EBTCM Rebuild Service

I have only owned my vette for about 3 months and it is my first, and I bought this problem, so it is mine. From what I have learned, and I can only assume that the information is legit, is that during those three years, 97, 98, and 99, they sealed the circuit board in some sort of Gel that was supposed to make them impregnable, but instead, if they allowed any moisture between the gel and the board, it just fried the board and killed it. GM's obligation to provide parts ended after their 10 year commitment, and when their supply was used up, the only chance of repair was the many jobbers who rebuild all but these three years now. When they ran out of parts just recently, like last year, the only option left is junkyard parts, which may work, but they are still the same part that is destined to fail just as the ones in our cars now, and for a part that started out costing around $400.00 from the dealers, and later escalated to $700.00 until the supply ran out, now sells in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 and they are few and far between. So I would recommend that if you intend on keeping your car, seek one out for yourself before the price escalates any higher and if you do decide to off you car in the future, you should be able to sell the spare. Like I said at the beginning of this monologue, this is just information I have gleaned from the various Forums. And I have enlisted several people who have given me all the input they have which is great, it is just that I cannot justify spending that much money on a part that even it is does work at this point, it may fail next month. Good luck to you my friend. :thumb

That is pretty much the story. Electronics and moisture don't mix and IMO, the problem is the seal interface failing which allows mositure to get in more than the potting compound.

If you surf the various forums, you'll find some threads where the problems weren't the motherboard fried and what people did to fix it. Often the internet can be your friend and sometimes a evil fiend.

I've seen them used on eBay; but how do I know it works is the question. What I haven't seen is a EE give it a shot.

That is pretty much the story. Electronics and moisture don't mix and IMO, the problem is the seal interface failing which allows mositure to get in more than the potting compound.

If you surf the various forums, you'll find some threads where the problems weren't the motherboard fried and what people did to fix it. Often the internet can be your friend and sometimes a evil fiend.

I've seen them used on eBay; but how do I know it works is the question. What I haven't seen is a EE give it a shot.

Sorry, but I don't know what an "EE" is. As to perhaps it is not the motherboard being fried, I have been trying to beat that horse to death here. I believe it could be some other component that is broken. But as the Title of this post states, "I am through banging my head against the wall trying to get this resolved". Hopefully, in the next week or so, I will have confirmation as to the actual problem as the car goes into the shop for a transmission repair. Will post the result and if I have to eat crow, well, by God, I will have a double helping. Luck. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom