Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypothetical question of C5 EBCM problemI am through banging my head against the wall trying to get this resolved, so I

Vette Dreemz

Corvette
1999 Black Coupe
I am through banging my head against the wall trying to get this resolved, so I am going to try to think outside the box on this problem. Number one is that, and I am sure most are aware of what the problem is, in that GM does not make the unit anymore since their 10 year obligation is over, there are no aftermarket manufacturers that make them, and the numerous repair shops only repair 2000 and newer, claiming there are no longer parts available to rebuild the original. OK, now my thought, or more accurately my question is this. Since the 2000 is still a C5 as well as the 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004, and repairable, would it be possible to perhaps change out the computer and whatever EBCM unit is used in that year to address the problem? I can't imagine that there was too many changes made to the C5 units that compatibility would be too big a problem? Any ideas, or is this just another harebrained, wishful dreaming idea?????? Come on guys, there has to be a resolution somewhere besides paying around $2,000.00 to a junkyard for a part that would have sold before they became rare at $200.00, and then all you are buying is another part that is destined to fail. Any thoughts???? Thanks. I have posted this same thread on two other sites hoping to get some input.

I wish I had an answer for you. Just off the top of my head, I'd say it won't work. I;m thinking that it won't communicate with the other computers.... but that's just me thinking out load.

I wish I had an answer for you. Just off the top of my head, I'd say it won't work. I;m thinking that it won't communicate with the other computers.... but that's just me thinking out load.
In my heart of hearts I knew it was more than likely that it would not work, but I have only had the car a couple of months and was just grasping at straws. I don't mind the ABS being off so much, but the handling and traction being on all the time is a little much. Oh well, I will get used to it. Thanks for your input.

Interesting question, I never thought of replacing the PCM and maybe other modules to allow a newer EBCM to be used. I know some people upgrade to newer PCMs for some advantages which I can't recall right now. I will try to research those who did it to see if they just ditched to EBCM function which all of us old guys grew up without anyway. Those upgrades do require some swapping of wiring/pin inputs to the PCM which isn't a big deal.

I would need to see if a newer EBCM would directly "fit" the ABS brake valve body or not or if that would have to be changed.

There is NO reason it could not be done. I would need more information to determine what changes would be required.

The other modules that could be affected would be the SWPS, Yaw sensor, and lateral accelerometer.

Frankly I don't care if I have TC, AH, or ABS since none of my other Toy Box cars have them. Resell value of course is affected when OEM things don't work.

PS: If your ABS is not working, nether is TC or AH.

Last edited:
Have you tried corvette central out of Michigan. They rebuilt my body control module un my 96 C4 had it back in two weeks. The bought all the stuff from the factory to do these rebuilds.

Have you tried corvette central out of Michigan. They rebuilt my body control module un my 96 C4 had it back in two weeks. The bought all the stuff from the factory to do these rebuilds.
Thanks for your reply, but the problem is only with the three years , 1997, 1998 and 1999 C5's. All the rebuilders say there are no longer any parts available and they suggest that everyone with this problem should just wait, something will come up in the way of a resolution to the problem.

Not for the light hearted and it would require to FSMs; however, swapping ECUs from a 97-98 to a 99-02 can be done. The pin outs are different: HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette - Corvette Forum

The easy way would be someone offer a dongle to reroute the wires. The dongle could easily be marketed for a few hundred bucks.
My car is a 1999 and the EBCM is shot. The years affected by these non replaceable, (except junk yard pieces which are also no good even if they work now), non repairable EBCM's is 1997, 1998 and 1999. So I don't think your solution would work in my case, but thanks for the effort. Do appreciate it.

I think this is a Bosch unit. GM asked them to do a replacement run, and they declined. I think I remember that they aren't rebuildable because they are sealed in epoxy or silicone or something else that can't be removed without destroying the part. I've been told there is no answer, and nothing currently on the horizon. I don't have the problem, but that's what I remember hearing on various forums. There are a very few out there in salvage yards. The bad news is they are super expensive. The other bad news is they are used too. This is a huge issue for the owners of the years in question.

Try the Corvette Mechanic site, and see if Paul has a work-around.

Last edited:
My car is a 1999 and the EBCM is shot. The years affected by these non replaceable, (except junk yard pieces which are also no good even if they work now), non repairable EBCM's is 1997, 1998 and 1999. So I don't think your solution would work in my case, but thanks for the effort. Do appreciate it.

Sorry, it didn't work out for you; I hate seeing someone sitting.

GM didn't make it so they would have to go back to the supplier or suppliers, sign agreements, PPAP (depending on the component a full PPAP is about 10 to 40K), inventory and it affects emisions. At the OEM level, it is a whole bunch of money without much chance for a return.

I think this is a Bosch unit. GM asked them to do a replacement run, and they declined. I think I remember that they aren't rebuildable because they are sealed in epoxy or silicone or something else that can't be removed without destroying the part. I've been told there is no answer, and nothing currently on the horizon. I don't have the problem, but that's what I remember hearing on various forums. There are a very few out there in salvage yards. The bad news is they are super expensive. The other bad news is they are used too. This is a huge issue for the owners of the years in question.

Try the Corvette Mechanic site, and see if Paul has a work-around.
I think you have stated the problem exactly as it is. I have come to the realization that the car is mine and I will just have to live with the ABS off all the time and the active handling control and traction control always on. Not really all that hard to live with, just annoying. Also resale is hurt. I would absolutely have to disclose the problem. The car runs great, sounds great and it is my first and last due to my age. But I just had to have one. Feels good. Thanks

I think you have stated the problem exactly as it is. I have come to the realization that the car is mine and I will just have to live with the ABS off all the time and the active handling control and traction control always on. Not really all that hard to live with, just annoying. Also resale is hurt. I would absolutely have to disclose the problem. The car runs great, sounds great and it is my first and last due to my age. But I just had to have one. Feels good. Thanks

I hope you mean AH and TC "LIGHT ON" since AH and TC cannot work when the ABS function is lost.

I hope you mean AH and TC "LIGHT ON" since AH and TC cannot work when the ABS function is lost.

Yes the AH and TC "LIGHT ON" and ABS light is also on. As I have said in all my postings trying to get this resolved in the last three months is that I am absolutely new to this. My understanding is that with the ABS light on, it means that the ABS is not functioning, but with the TC light on, it meant that the traction control is continuously on. Do I have this bass ackwards????? My thinking was that if you wanted to engage the AH and TC, you pressed the button on the center console and it engaged and the light came on to let you know that it was working. Also, with the light off, I have been told that the TC would also be off and if I were to lean into the gas and release the clutch sharply, the car would smoke the tires. The current condition is, and I have tried it, dump the clutch at about 2000 RPM and it takes off like a rocket with no tire spin. I managed to break the back end loose once, but really had to try. Is it possible that the TC is engaged while the ABS is not? After all, it is all electronics and perhaps just a portion of the EBCM is shot???? Please remember, I am new to this, but not a complete dummy buy more a hopeful dummy. Thanks. Please get back to me on this.

No problem.

ABS light ON: ABS is not working

TC light ON: TC is OFF and AH also if you have it.

The light comes on in both cases as a warning.

You can confirm by just looking at your owners manual.

No problem.

ABS light ON: ABS is not working

TC light ON: TC is OFF and AH also if you have it.

The light comes on in both cases as a warning.

You can confirm by just looking at your owners manual.
Yes, I understand that, but my question is in my situation, is it possible that with both lights on, ABS is not working, TC light on, TC, AH are still working. Could the part, the EBCM be only partially broken? I am not grasping at straws here, it is just that I feel that the traction control is working as it prevents the back end from getting away from me. In my lifetime, I have driven several 'vette's, three different C1, C2's, a 1960, a 1963 and a 1967 through a friend who was in a much better financial situation than I was, and they all had the ability to get crazy with you if you really got into them. In any event, I have a slight leak at the juncture of the two piece transmission case that I will be scheduling here very soon to be repaired by a somewhat local mechanic that is highly recommended on another site who is a Corvette man and I will try to get a better understanding from him. Let him drive it and tell me what he thinks. Thanks for your patience and understanding. Vince

I don't think your TC and AH are working but anything is possible but you would be a first. If they are you may have uncovered a parallel universe in which that happens.

You can test your ABS with a hard braking on dry or wet payment to see if you get any pulsation. If you get any pulsation then at least one brake is trying to function but that is not a safe thing for it to do so that is why when ABS detects any issue it disables all ABS braking functions.

Since AH can use ABS actuation to any of the 4 brakes and TC uses ABS for the rear brakes I really don't see it working with ABS disabled.

If you do have TC and AH 'working" I would immediately pull the fuses for the ABS to defeat it. I would NOT trust it. There are plenty of accident and other documented cases of unwanted AH actuation causing braking on one wheel and swerving into another lane or off the road/into another car.

Take a look at this link:

Ebcm - Corvette Forum
Dadaroo; Thanks for all the help on this. The car goes in to Abel Chevrolet next week, so I will get a definitive answer to this question from an experienced Corvette owner and mechanic and I will surely let you know what is going on with this problem. Alternate universe???:rotfl:L:happyanim:Luck. Vince

From dadaroo's link
I just had a new one put on a couple of months ago. The part was 1200.00 and some change. The dealer put it on. But they told me that they can be rebuilt so I kept the old one. So I don't think that they can be worth more than what they cost new.

He had a new one put in???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom