Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

aftermarket wheels

slyone1000

Corvette
1971 LT1
How much of a wheel spacer do you need to put aftermarket wheels on a 1971. Or who makes rims that have the right off-set.

R

resto75

I have American racing wheels on my 75 that mount w/o any spacers. If you go to their website I believe you can do a search for your vehicle and it will tell you which models will fit. The problem with c3 vettes is the clearance between the wheel and brake caliper. I would stay away from wheels that need spacers if at all possible. If you do use them keep your lug nuts tightened properly.

Roy

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
Sly,
I have older American Racing rims on my '81. I agree with Roy, stay away from spacers if at all possible. I ended up having to grind off about a 1/4" off the end of the caliper housings to clear the rims. Maybe a bit risky but there was plenty of material. Never have had a problem.

........ Nut

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
I agree, stay away from spacers if at all possible. If you do have to go with spacers, use a quality set such as Vette Brakes and Products. Not to many aftermarket wheels fit the C3 without spacers. American Racing Torque Thrust is the most popular. I just got a new Jegs catalog which shows Cragar now making 17" Torque Thrust style wheels with a better selection of offsets. I think they even have a 4-1/2" offset which should fit without spacers. They are also about $50.00 per rim cheaper than AR. Check it out.

Regards,

Jim

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Aw Jack, You say the nicest things.....Gee, I don't know where that came from. :D

Anyway, I am using American Racing Torque Thrust II's with Goodyear Eagle HP-Ultra-Plus tires. 16x8 + 255/50-16's. After much research, I found that the American Racing wheels fit best and had the look I wanted. If I remember correctly, the Cragar Wheels are not polished aluminum but chrome plated steel. That was a no-brainer for me. I used the Crager's on other cars I had but wanted the polished aluminum for my '70.

The problem with fitting and our Vette's is the calipers, and whether a certain wheel will fit depends on the backspacing and the design of the back of the wheel. I'd stay with 4 inch backspacing, any larger with 16inch wheels and you'll run the wheel into the rear spring and parking brake cable bracket. Believe me I tried a set of Hailbrand 5-spoke's with 4.5 in backspacing.

Now if you go up to 17 inch wheels, I believe you can increase the backspacing to 4.5 inches.

I agree with the others, avoid using spacers to clear the calipers.

Good Luck
Len

R

resto75

crager wheels

I was told about 6 months ago that Crager wheels was going out of business. This was by a tire/wheels store manager who even called his supplier to confirm this. I don't know if it's true or not and as Crager has been around since the beginning of custom wheels I would think not. Just to be sure I went with AR wheels so not to end up with something I couldn't replace just 1 wheel if it was damaged. Has anyone else heard this rumor ?

As for the wheels I used, they fit w/o spacers and look great. I don't remember the model off hand but they are current a current model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom