Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aggressive tailgating

C7808

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport 2lt. Watkins Glen Gray
I'm wondering if other Corvette drivers have been on the receiving end of aggressive tailgating. Just wondering of it's a common occurrence with Corvettes. Since I bought my first Corvette three months ago, three cars (supercharged Cadillac, POS Toyota Corolla and some POS SUV) have gotten too effen close behind me on Hawaii's H1 freeway (three lanes). In all three cases, the cars appeared to be 3-5 feet on my rear while I was driving 65-70 MPH. Speed limit is 60 MPH. I didn't brake-check any of them because I was afraid they might have crashed into me. I just maintained a constant speed. After about five minutes of closely tailgating me (looked like three feet), the Cadillac pulled up alongside me, gunned the engine and shot forward (show-off, but why?). And today, a Toyota Corolla tailgated me (looked like about five feet from me) at 70 MPH while I was in the leftmost lane. After a couple of minutes, I switched to the next lane, slowed to 60 MPH, and he did the same and continued tailgating. This is the first time I have experienced this type of aggressive tailgating. Prior to buying my Corvette, I was driving boring sedans and never experienced this. I'd appreciate any advice on how to handle these jerks short of brake-checking or showing the middle finger.

For some reason seeing a Corvette brings out the stupidity in people!

When I encounter such a situation in my Roadster I turn my head and look the driver in the eyes with a stern face and then get the hell away from them.

My wife gets a kick out of the idiots in Their POS' revving their engines and burning off like I'm driving a Yugo and their driving a Ferrari

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I do about the same as Doug.

It isn't worth a ticket to play with them or even worse being involved in a wreck .

Although admittedly the supercharged Caddy would have been fun to embarrass.
:chuckle

Yes, Corvettes seem to bring the worst out in some people. I've had similar experiences while driving my Corvettes over the years. In my younger years (I've matured since then), I've stepped on the gas and pulled away from them. Today, I just will slow down, change lane or may turn off just to shake them.

There red will always be effing as*holes that feel like they have to "prove something". Show you are the bigger man or woman (whatever the case may be) and not feed the ego of the idiot.

In typical interstate traffic, what they show is how slow their car is. If it was really a fast car on a crowded road; a set of Wilwood's fanciest wouldn't cut it.

Or maybe they are flaunting a serious lack of gray matter between the ears??

I'm sorry to hear this ,hope it doesn't happen to me .:D
At this point, I think it's safe to say you're beyond that. :chuckle

Mac

ps: me too...
:w

Sorry to say that I guess I'm the A-Hole responder type. :chuckle I start tapping the "coast" button on my cruise and keep taking it down 1 mph at a time till they pass me. I let them get waaaay past me then resume the speed limit. Not to say that I never speed, but if I do, I like open road and lots of space around me......

Sorry to say that I guess I'm the A-Hole responder type. :chuckle I start tapping the "coast" button on my cruise and keep taking it down 1 mph at a time till they pass me. I let them get waaaay past me then resume the speed limit. Not to say that I never speed, but if I do, I like open road and lots of space around me......
Done that myself Just not in the Vette

I've traveled a lot of miles east of the Mississippi over 55 years of driving and have never had an issue .What now makes me nervous is cell phone distraction and drugs .

I've traveled a lot of miles east of the Mississippi over 55 years of driving and have never had an issue .What now makes me nervous is cell phone distraction and drugs .

Agreed 100% and I would add a third issue: the intolerance & stupidity that leads to road rage.

Mac

Yes, Corvettes seem to bring the worst out in some people. I've had similar experiences while driving my Corvettes over the years. In my younger years (I've matured since then), I've stepped on the gas and pulled away from them.

Back in the day when the sound of headers, an aftermarket cam and first gear with a 4.56 or 4.88; a lot of folks just wanted to see it go.. Even with relatively inexpensive blue Sunoco 260, why bother?

Today, a lot of folks see my 97, my white hair and figure an easy mark to impress their s/o or wife. Usually, we ignore them and rarely show them what a centrifugal etc can do..

Done that myself Just not in the Vette

Thanks for your comments, Doug. BTW, that's a really nice-looking Roadster you have there.

Thanks

I find a bunch of stupidity in driving no matter what car I'm in. And it seems to be getting worse.
Ain't that the truth!

I find a bunch of stupidity in driving no matter what car I'm in. And it seems to be getting worse.
YES IT IS!!!!

That's why I have a dash camera in the big truck facing out :thumb

Yeah, I've seen it too. Had some redneck in a souped-up diesel pickup truck riding my tail one time trying to goad me into racing him with my '04 (equipped with a Z51 suspension package, I might add). The fool just wouldn't take "no" for an answer, so I decided to teach him a lesson by exploiting the obvious flaw in his vehicle. I put a hook in his mouth, and then watched in my rearview mirror as the jacka$$ nearly put his own truck into a light post when he tried to follow me around a 90-degree left-hand corner at 30-40 mph...

Believe it or not, I didn't even have to exceed the posted speed limit to put him in his place...! ;)

Yeah, I've seen it too. Had some redneck in a souped-up diesel pickup truck riding my tail one time trying to goad me into racing him with my '04 (equipped with a Z51 suspension package, I might add). The fool just wouldn't take "no" for an answer, so I decided to teach him a lesson by exploiting the obvious flaw in his vehicle. I put a hook in his mouth, and then watched in my rearview mirror as the jacka$$ nearly put his own truck into a light post when he tried to follow me around a 90-degree left-hand corner at 30-40 mph...

Believe it or not, I didn't even have to exceed the posted speed limit to put him in his place...! ;)
Good one

That is fun to do.... not that I've ever done than...snicker, snicker.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom