Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air filter screws/condenser victim

G

grkzr1

Hi to everyone,
Coming back from the ORR yesterday, I heard a hissing sound. I opened up the hood and small dots of oil? were all over the place. After moving things around I removed the air filter and by removing the passenger's side screw the hissing sound became lounder. By taking the bolt out I was able to see a hole in the a/c condenser. How big of a job is to replace it? I guess that I can drive the car without any problems (except no A/C) correct?
Thank you in advance

--John

1990 ZR1
LT5 Registry #684

John,
I wish I could help you out but I've never ran into that problem before. Is it posible to put a quick radiator patch over the hole?

Jay

If I remember correctly your refridgerent lubes your ac pump. You might not want to run it dry. I am sure the ac guru's will post.

Thank you for your replies. I ordered a new condenser and most likely I will convert to r134.

--John

Granted I have not done this on a ZR1, but on a regular L98 it goes something like this.

First removed the intake hose to the air filter, then the air filter. You may have to remove the upper radiator hose (not always depending on the shroud). Pull the visible upper radiator cooling fan bolts from the shroud, then get under the car and pull the lower ones out. While down there unplug the cooling fans.

Back up top, wiggle, jiggle the cooling fan assembly out.

Now, you will see some 13mm and 10mm bolts/studs on either side of the radiator shroud on top of the frame rails on both sides. Remove them.

Now, you may notice the shroud is getting loose. You will find about three 7mm screws on either side of the shroud in the front best accessed from underneath the nose, and squeezing your hand next to the headlight, frame rail, and shroud.

Unplug the air temp sensor.

Now, you can wiggle, jiggle, pry, pull and get the entire upper shroud assembly to lift upwards. This is the big dog house looking thing that holds the air filter, cooling fans, and the radiator/ac condenser are mounted inside.

Now, loosen/unscrew the a/c lines (one larger, one smaller) from the condenser, and pull the condenser out.

****YOU WILL FIND ABOUT 5 LBS OF TRASH, LEAVES, ETC CRAMMED IN THERE******

Wash and vacuum it all out. You might want to drain and lift the radiator out for a quick bath as well.

Now reverse the procedure. Put nice new fresh o-rings on the a/c lines.

You should be able to pull it all out and back in on a Saturday.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom