Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air foil foiled

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
Okay I'll admit it I was one of those who just had to give the air foil a try. Now for the results. First off after installing the air foil I noticed that my accelerator response "seemed" to drop off and the car didn't have the snap that it did. By the way I have a 92 LT1 with K&N air filter and Magnaflow exhaust. I also noticed that my fuel mileage dropped by 1 to 2 MPG. Now for the good news. I just took the air foil out and went for a drive and guess what? The car has that old snap to it again, my fuel mileage has come back up, and the car "seems" to run better than it did. :happyanim: I am not suggesting to anyone that if you try the foil your results will be the same as mine I'm just telling you my experience with the foil. Think about it though anytime you put something in the air path it has the potential to reduce air flow and performance. For all of you who traveled this path before me all I can say is that I should've listened and for those who haven't been down this path yet, well, I've got a good used air foil that I will make someone a good deal on. :w

Okay I'll admit it I was one of those who just had to give the air foil a try. Now for the results. First off after installing the air foil I noticed that my accelerator response "seemed" to drop off and the car didn't have the snap that it did. By the way I have a 92 LT1 with K&N air filter and Magnaflow exhaust. I also noticed that my fuel mileage dropped by 1 to 2 MPG. Now for the good news. I just took the air foil out and went for a drive and guess what? The car has that old snap to it again, my fuel mileage has come back up, and the car "seems" to run better than it did. :happyanim: I am not suggesting to anyone that if you try the foil your results will be the same as mine I'm just telling you my experience with the foil. Think about it though anytime you put something in the air path it has the potential to reduce air flow and performance. For all of you who traveled this path before me all I can say is that I should've listened and for those who haven't been down this path yet, well, I've got a good used air foil that I will make someone a good deal on. :w

Lesson learned 'eh? :chuckle Me too...heres what I've learned since..

The air foil will work.......under the correct conditions. Usually something that the avg guy isn't going to have. They do work under very well controlled conditions so they can legally make the claims that they use in their ads.
Its about shaping the airflow to cause accelleration ( expansion) or decelleration (compression) at the right time/place. The shape of the T-body face has LOTS to do with the over-all CFM that the T-Body can flow, BUT....theres the little problem of the butterfly plates directly behind the nice rounded entrance. So when does the shape have an effect? mostly at WFO throttle where max air speed is required. Every edge, ridge, groove or shape can cause drag inside the airstream. The deeper the boundry layer ( what actually contacts the metal surface), the smaller the airstream. End result is a negetive effect.

If you get the chance, look at the difference between something like an Edlebrock BBK T-body and the stock unit. The bigger BBK flows about 25% more across the range because of the shape thats designed to work with the butterflys so the flow is consistant and the velocity is directed.

Naturally aspirated engines operate totally on vac and air flow magic...speed up the air at the wrong time and you end up with less in the combustion chamber. Slam that air in a space and then slow it down to compress it as it enters and you get more in there, which translates into a higher yeild from combustion.

I wish I had all the aftermarket BS that I bought in the 80's and 90's for my vettes...I'd be rich. The marketing claims appeal to our dreams and desires and we easily forget the basic rules of performance....it ain;t cheap or easy. If it was, they'd all be scarey fast :thumb

Nice write-up

That was a nice write-up boomdriver and I agree 100% with what you said. No doubt the air foil will work under certain conditions but as you stated the average guy or girl probably isn't going to realize it and who goes around with their foot to the floor all the time anyway. (I'm sure I'll get some responses on that one). If anyone out there is considering getting an air foil I would encourage you to read boomdrivers write-up and make a more educated decision as to whether this will actually work for you instead of drooling all over yourself about the huge performance gain you may or may not get. Happy trails!:w

That was a nice write-up boomdriver and I agree 100% with what you said. No doubt the air foil will work under certain conditions but as you stated the average guy or girl probably isn't going to realize it and who goes around with their foot to the floor all the time anyway. (I'm sure I'll get some responses on that one). If anyone out there is considering getting an air foil I would encourage you to read boomdrivers write-up and make a more educated decision as to whether this will actually work for you instead of drooling all over yourself about the huge performance gain you may or may not get. Happy trails!:w

Thanks !

My goal in sharing stuff like that is to possibly help some guys keep some cash in THIER pockets instead of handing it over to slick marketing and products that are marginal, at best. We love to think that "they" can't lie about the things they sell...BS. They do and will. There are thousands of ways in the english language to say things with different meaning, making it easy to dress up a hog and get a consumer to take take it to the dance and think he's got a cheerleader ....:chuckle

I literally filled a dumpster with aftermarket junk when I moved from Ventura...(yes, there were a couple air foils in that pile) embarrassing at best, more painful to look at $ going in the trash. Nothing got tossed that actually worked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom