Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air induction system

lcjstoy

Corvette
96 Collector Edition, 06 orange coupe
Who makes the best air induction system for the C5 and
why. Do they really make more horse power or is it
a lot of hipe?
Thanks in advance for any responce.

There is not much "low hanging fruit" on the C5. In order to get significant power improvement, the intake and exhaust must be viewed as a system. Long tube headers, high flow cats, induction, etc, will need an upgrade.

I have a VaraRam, but the downside to that is the possibility of water ingestion. A lot of people also like the Honker (from Callaway?).

Between the VaraRam and drag radials, I picked up 0.6 seconds and about 5MPH in the quarter mile.

5 mph is about tops for a air filter..but if I remember correctly thats pretty impressive...

40 hp at speed?

I've read various discussions on the water injestion thing as well as the build quality so keep that in mind..

good luck.

I think the Callaway Honker is the best one... relocates the MAF as well. Pricey though.

The Vararam and the Hurricane come up second IMHO...

I installed a Vortech cold air "Rammer" to my Z06. If you order a pre-cut radiator shroud it makes it a lot easier to install. According to Corvette Fever magazine, they say that "more air" is critical to increase HP. In one issue they installed a Blackwing system and recorded a 15 HP increase. A friend of mine installed that system and he said you can hear air rushing when accelerating. With the Vortech system I can't hear any air rush. Since the Vortech system is a pseudo ram air you would think that there should be a HP increase. I can't tell you for sure whether I gained an increase in HP but my gas mileage has improved. If you decide on the Vortech, opt for the clear air box as it makes it easier to see the filter re: cleaning.

From all my Research the Vararam System is the only True forced air Induction system on the market. The others are more of a cut out shroud cold air suck in system ;LOL
and some are a engine compartment not so cold air suck in air system.:rotfl

In conclusion, I think the Vararam system does not suck :chuckle but forces air in and in my opinion is the way to go for all out performance.
Now this is just my .02 cents and for some reason it kinda sounds Dirty :eyerole .....Dr C5 Corvette~

Who makes the best air induction system for the C5 and
why. Do they really make more horse power or is it
a lot of hipe?
Thanks in advance for any responce.

I installed the Vortex "Rammer" cold air system and it works really well and is easy to install. If you're looking for added HP change the OE airbridge and change to a smooth coupler. The OE MAF doesn't need to be changed for this system. I've had the Rammer on my '03 Z06 for about a year now and have noticed an increase in mpg and acceleration. Like I had said previously, if you decide to buy this system, opt for the clear cover vs. the black or carbon fiber. The clear makes it a lot easier to tell when your filter needs cleaning. I also made a cover screen that fits in the retangular area below the air intake scoop using the metal grate from a screen door. It's similiar to the one that's sold in Mid-America catalogs for, I believe, $59. I keeps debris like paper, leaves etc from entering the air box for the Rammer. I've spoken to others who have the Vortex system and they say it added approx 12-15 RWHP to their vehicles.

I installed the Vortex "Rammer" cold air system and it works really well and is easy to install. If you're looking for added HP change the OE airbridge and change to a smooth coupler. The OE MAF doesn't need to be changed for this system. I've had the Rammer on my '03 Z06 for about a year now and have noticed an increase in mpg and acceleration. Like I had said previously, if you decide to buy this system, opt for the clear cover vs. the black or carbon fiber. The clear makes it a lot easier to tell when your filter needs cleaning. I also made a cover screen that fits in the retangular area below the air intake scoop using the metal grate from a screen door. It's similiar to the one that's sold in Mid-America catalogs for, I believe, $59. I keeps debris like paper, leaves etc from entering the air box for the Rammer. I've spoken to others who have the Vortex system and they say it added approx 12-15 RWHP to their vehicles.

This a must as far as I'm concerned, my radiator was just crammed with all kinds of junk!!! There have been posts about owners sucking up plastic grocery bags and overheating... When both those fans turn on these cars turn into street Dysons!!

Good post!

Along this line, has anyone tried the throttle body velocity tube that Variram makes? It's supposed to smooth the airflow through the TB.......

Along this line, has anyone tried the throttle body velocity tube that Variram makes? It's supposed to smooth the airflow through the TB.......

HAHA Funny you should mention that. I saw that item advertised in Mid-America and thought "what the heck". It's advertised to add an additional 5-8 HP when installed. The idea of it is to redirect the airflow from the airbridge/coupler, making it "smoother" when entering the throttle body. I purchased it and installed it but I can't say if it actually added any HP. My mind would like to think it did especially since I paid money for it. haha

These are generally bashed as snake oil. BUT my experience says otherwise! Mine came with one installed unbeknownest (is that spelled right?) to me and since everyone said they were BS I removed it and promptly lost quite a bit of throttle response. I checked everything and all was good, so I reinstalled it and got my thottle response back. The car feels quicker and crisper with it...

Granted you will never feel the advertised HP gain but I did indeen feel the better throttle response...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom