Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air snorkel ducting

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
I noticed today that the two connecting ducts from the air snorkel to the air intakes are tattered and have holes in them. The parts I'm talking about are the accordion-like flexible connecting ducts. Does anyone make a replacement part, and if so, where?

Also, the passenger side snorkel itself has a dent in it, and therefore the vacuum duct inside cannot close properly. How important is it that this functions? Does it even matter that the duct work has holes in it? Thanks!

Tator,

I don't think that it would hurt anything; however, the purpose for it is to deliver a relatively cooler gulp of air. I suppose that holes in the connectors could allow warm air to enter in the induction system, and perhaps make the Vette run a bit inefficiently. ;shrug

Are they the originals (cloth impregnated with rubber), or are they plastic? Perhaps you should plug those holes with some black insulation tape after cleaning them in a mild solution of dish soap and warm water (and after drying them...:chuckle;):L).

GerryLP:cool

Yes, they are the original cloth one's. I just looked at Ecklers and Mid America and didn't see replacements available, so I guess it's the "tape 'em up" route. Thanks Gerry!

Also, the vacuum door I referred to; I seem to recall they shut when the 'vette first warms up, yes? And then open after so? Does the door not properly functioning mess anything up? Longer warm-up times? Thanks.

-Tatortot

The flexible ducts are still available from GM, any dealer parts place should be able to order them for you.
The new ones are a bit more durable vinyl but fine if you're not going for judging.
About $30 each list price but that depends on your parts man.
part no 368684 and 472712.
GMPartsDirect wants $16 and $17 for them. Your parts guy MAY match the prices.

Holy Crap! I didn't even think GM would still supply these. Thanks much! Highly affordable too!

....Also, the vacuum door I referred to; I seem to recall they shut when the 'vette first warms up, yes? And then open after so? Does the door not properly functioning mess anything up? Longer warm-up times? Thanks.
-Tatortot

The air gate at the left snorkel works with the Thermac sensor to help fuel atomization during cold starts. It routes warm air gathered from around the left side exhaust manifold and stove shield and allows it inside the air cleaner. The Thermac sensor has a bimetalic spring that reacts to the warmer temperature and closes the vacuum port and the spring loaded air gate returns to the open position.

If this is not working correctly, then it is another condition causing the Vette to operate inefficiently.

With the left snorkel connecting duct (the cloth, spring shaped one) removed, and careful that you do not reach into the colling fan's blades, probe the snorkel to see if the air gate or flap is open or closed. If closed with the engine warm, then you have a problem with the vacuum signal to the Thermac circuit. If the air gate is closed all the time, then your car is running relatively rich all the time you drive it.

GerryLP:cool

Gerry,

I think it's open most of the time. I already removed the snorkel, and reached inside, and the door cannot be fully closed because of a large dent/deformation on the lower part of the metal snorkel. So, it's open all the time, partially or otherwise. What does this mean?

I priced replacement snorkels.... YOWZERS!

-tatortot

I think I bought mine from Zip or DocRebuild. The original cloth but I like the vinyl better so I have both.
When you take the airsnorkel off I think you can easily remodel the dent snorkel to make the flap fully close.

Greetings Peter

Gerry,

I think it's open most of the time. I already removed the snorkel, and reached inside, and the door cannot be fully closed because of a large dent/deformation on the lower part of the metal snorkel. So, it's open all the time, partially or otherwise. What does this mean?

I priced replacement snorkels.... YOWZERS!

-tatortot

Being open all the time does not affect you very much, except in morning starts (typically cold damp mornings). But you have obviously been dealing with that for a long time. :(

If you are certain that the snorkel's dent is keeping the flap from closing all the way, then you oath to try to bang out the dent, but if it is not the dent, then borrow a vacuum gauge, and check the connecting hoses for leaks. Maybe you have a slight leak or something. :)

I placed an order with corvette central as both parts were under $17 there. So that fixes that!

I may take off the whole snorkel assembly and try and hammer it out, but if rough cold starts are the only symptom, I think I can deal with that. It really is a sizable dent/deformation that would take a lot to get out. Thanks for everyone's input!

-Tatortot

I took off the snorkel and formed it back as best I could with some pliers/wrenches. You can see the door doesn't close all the way, but it's better. I noticed that they never really close all the way (always a gap at the top) so I'm thinking this probably doesn't do too much harm.

Vacuumdoor1.jpg

Vacuumdoor2.jpg

The deeper I dig into the 'vette, the more problems I'm finding. Stay tuned for more questions.

Tator,

It's not a terrible thing. By controlling the air temperature in the air cleaner, this results in lower emmisions and improves driveability (like when you need to drive the Vette immediately after starting).

I had a problem before in my Vette, where the thermac temperature sensor was causing the enriching of the air charge (by closing the flaps) during WOT operations (which costs a few ponies).

Thanks again, Gerry. Like I said before, I'm not too worried about it. I always let her warm up plenty anyways. I'll keep my eye on eBay and see if just the snorkel part comes up within a reasonable price.

Arg! I got the replacement ducts, and the openings that fit around the snorkel and duct work were simply too small. No way they were fitting on either side. I even busted one of the staples holding the clamp onto the duct itself. I'm getting sick of these cheap aftermarket parts....

Guess I'll just tape the old one's up.

-Tatortot

Zip is actually just one town over from me, but they only carry the same aftermarket "stuff." I was actually thinking about doc rebuild before... I'll give them a shot next. Thanks!

-Tatortot

Edit: No luck on Doc Rebuild. Do you think Zip's (described as plastic flex hose) will be from a different manufacturer than Corvette Central's? I always assumed they got their parts from the same overseas supplier.

Arg! I got the replacement ducts, and the openings that fit around the snorkel and duct work were simply too small. No way they were fitting on either side....
Guess I'll just tape the old one's up.
-Tatortot

Tator,

The re-pros are a bit tight but they usually fit. What's probably happening is that the snorkels are out of shape, since you had to bang out the dent in at least one of them.

Is there anyone else with an L81 near you? Perhaps you can trace a piece of cardboard which you can trace with a stock snorkel. Then, try to shape your air cleaner's snorkel to within the traced oval shape.

It's a bit of work, but can do this, bud. :)

I understand, Gerry, but the molded plastic ends coming off the rad ALSO didn't fit. I doubt those deformed over time. The things are just too small, and in my opinion, poor quality. Maybe I'll give it another try this weekend.

-Tatortot

Did the ones from Corvette Central come in a GM box?

Were the clamps plastic like the originals or spring like steel?

They didn't appear to be GM boxes. Just plain cardboard boxes. They had plastic tubing, and metal ribs. The actual clasps themselves were plastic but attached to the last metal rib.

At full extension they were still too small (diameter) to fit around the metal snorkel and the plastic ducts. I ended up prying a staple loose on the clasp (but managed to wrench it back down). The thing is just a wee bit too small. Maybe if I busted knuckles for an hour I could get them on, but I don't see a point of that. Do I take it that the GM parts may be different?

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom