Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air snorkel ducting

Tator,

Mine are snug still even after a few years.

What I do is slide one end over the snorkel, and then I use a small common screw driver (pocket size with a narrow blade), and then I slid the screwdriver all around the snorkel while I work the accordion tubing edge over the snorkel lip. To this day, I do it that way.

GerryLP :cool

To be honest with you. Mine from Zip are still on the shelve overhere because I'm using the ones with plastic and not the cloth. If you like I could take a picture of the front of the airsnorkel. If I remember correctly mine upper and lower horizontal parts are a little bit pointing inward so the outside corners are closer together. The plastic tube is also a tight fit but no problems here and no screwdriver required.

Greetings Peter

Peer81,

Were the one's from Zip plastic? Are the cloth one's you have on there now original, or does someone offer the cloth one's currently?

Gerry,

I have them boxed up and ready to return, but I'm still undecided. I understand what you're saying, but I have a difficult time with a part that hasn't been made to correct tolerance. Could I get them to fit with a lot of cursing and prying with a screwdriver? Maybe... and then have to go through that every time I need to take them off. I think the taped originals might be good enough. That's kind of my 'vette in a microcosm right there. :upthumbs

-Tatortot

P.S. Here she is in her new home. First garage she's seen since I bought her in '99.

vettegarage2.jpg

Tator,

She looks great in her new room...she has to share it, but at least she won't be outside, like she was...that"s great!:cool!::upthumbs

p.s. I'll see if can take a couple of pictures showing my Vette's cold air connectors.

Tator,

Here are some images to show you how tight these plastic flex ducts are. When I first bought mine, they were a PITA to install, but with a little patience, one can make them work.

And remember that by having the snorkel's upper and lower lips closer together, the tendency from the curved portions of the metal snorkel is to project out (wider) when compared to a non-distorted snorkel.

lh%20snorkel%20flex%20duct.JPG

I use this pocket common screwdriver to help me reach the duct edge over the bump on the snorkel lip. Just simply slide on to the snorkel one of the rounded ends over the bump on the lip, and then use something thin (but blunt) to help you bring the flex duct opposite rounded portion of the opening over the bump on the lip. Sometimes, allowing the air cleaner wing nut to be loose helps you rotate the air cleaner a bit left of right to maintain the best angle.

lh%20snorkel%20flex%20duct%202.JPG

Once it is over the lip, simply clasp the plastic latch, and she'll hold. :):upthumbs

lh%20snorkel%20flex%20duct%203.JPG

One thing that we all L81 owner must keep in mind is that even though more replacement parts are available now a days when compared to 5 or 10 years ago, it is still a year-model for which there are not many parts. And NOS parts, if you are lucky to find, are now very pricey, so we have to make replacement parts work when they sometimes do not seem to work as advertised.

Thanks Gerry. I went to the post office today, but decided not to mail the ducts back. I have a feeling when it gets a bit warmer out, I'm gonna give it the ol' college try. Thanks again for all your help!

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom