Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

airconditioner removal

77L130

Hi all, I have been doing some header install on my 1977 L48.
I had to remove the A/C compressor to get to all the bolts.
Since the A/C doesn't work and I don't really need A/C I was thinking of leaving the compessor out. What problems am I going to get into by getting rid of A/C.
Thanks

The biggest problem you will have is how darn hot you will get come summer time and or the loss in resale value!

No really, it is not going to "cause" a problem. If you do this, make sure and cap off the lines as good as possible to keep moisture and other forgein material from getting into the rest of the a/c system.

What about the headers is causing you to "have" to remove the a/c? Most of the time with a little bit of creativity you can build/make your own rear support and side support brackets to hold the compressor in place. It seems like a lost cause when the a/c does not work anyhow.

The truth is, unless you have to replace every part of your a/c, it may be cheaper than you think to fix the leak, clear the clog, or just replace the compressor and get that system working again.

No problems at all. But don't stop there with just the compressor.

Try removing the condensor in front of the radiator, too. But I think you need to remove the hood to do that. You MIGHT be able to slide the condensor out from below if you remove the valance down there, but I'm not sure about that. When I removed mine, I had the hood off.

Your cooling system will be more efficient without the condensor in place.

You can also pull the drier, that round can mounted on the evap case with all those hoses sticking out of it.

You can also remove the evaporator from its case, but then you have to plug those two big slots. I used some hard plastic, cut to shape and glued in place. Painted the case black while it was out of the car.

Save all the parts. Next owner may want to restore. Also, plug ALL lines to keep "bad air" out of the hoses, condensor, etc. Just tape over all the open ends real good with some electrical tape. Contamination is the enemy of a/c.

If you have any more questions, just write!
tom

Thanks for the replys, I don't have A/C on any of my cars but the tops all come off. I plan on keeping all the parts in case I need them in the future. I wasn't sure if I would have any problems with the heater or if everything is petty much separate.
I have been wanting to remove the A/C for sometime, I was suprised how easy it was to take out, there was no freon(sp) in the system.

When I bought my 75, the air conditioning did not work . . . however, the fact that it HAD air conditioning made the car worth more in my eyes. With little work, I had the air up and working, which definitely enhances the overall value of the vehicle. So, long story short, if it were me, even if I did not want to fool with fixing the air, I would do my best to leave it in place . . . who knows? You may decide to tear into it one of these days. As long as all the parts are there, getting it up and running is easy and inexpensive . . .

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom