Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Almost lost my Vette today

Dark90

Corvette
1990 Black Coupe
I picked up my Vette today after a week long stay at the mechanics having the clutch replaced. I was slowly falling in love with my new ability to chirp the tires on the shift into 3rd when suddenly I started noticing a sound that was similar to a zipper coming from, what I assumed at the time to be, the clutch area.

Slowly the sound got louder, and louder and then I was losing power above 4k RPMs. Like something was holding the engine back. I kept giving the accelerator the goods for a little bit to try to pin point the sound. I drove about 30 miles before beginning to head back to the shop I picked it up from. As I rounded a corner I gave her a good bit of throttle. The RPMs rose and I let my foot off the accelerator, but the RPMs kept going up, and up, and UP until they hit the redline. :eek:hnoes

Unfortunately I paniced and turned the key off, only to realise that I could no longer turn the steering wheel as I slowly began creeping off the paved road. I began fumbling around with the key and at some point, let up off the clutch pedal which roll started my engine, once again sending me and my car towards a wide open throttle insurance claim.

FINALLY I regained composure and yanked the E-Brake bringing my would-be coffin to a screeching halt right in the middle of the road which I had at some point found my way back to. I fired her back up and milked my :madBRAND NEW CLUTCH:mad long enough to get off onto the shoulder.

As the clutch dust settled, my hood was up and I began going over the throttle cables where I noticed that the throttle body seemed to not be closing all the way. I pulled the air duct and saw what I originally thought was a coat hanger poking out of the right port of the throttle body, holding that bad boy almost wide open. Careful not to push it in there further, I slowly pulled out the item in the attached picture. It was one of the little metal interior braces for the Corvette Induction Power Coupler from Ecklers.

https://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=46462&dept_id=1758

From the looks of things, some smart guy at the shop my car was at either stepped on or ran over the Power coupler, crushing the interior braces which gave them enough play to come loose which could very well have ended my L98s life, my own, or even worse, somebody elses. Of course the shop owner denied everything but I'm just happy nobody was hurt and my car is still in one piece other than a little extra wear on the clutch.

Have you learned your lesson? Always fix your Vette yourself!;)

Good thing you didnt get hurt or wreck the car! Sounds like you saved yourself with some fast thinking!!!!:thumb

Now go fix her and take her out for a ride!!!!:cool

Scratch that shop off your list!... I'd report that shop to better business beuro...

I'm no expert on dealing with bad shops but I'm fast getting there. Until recently I did most of my own work. Of the two shops that I have recently reported to the BBB neither has responded to the complaint.

My only advise is to check a shop out as well as you can before they start working on a vette.

Glad to hear your okay though.

Put a stop payment or charge back on your repair. MAKE the shop at least pay for a NEW part thats the LEAST they can do....and let them know they are getting off LIGHTLY!:bash

Are you keeping the power coupler? Why would they put an internal brace? Why not put it on the outside? Your beef is with ecklers not the shop.

Let us know what happened with the car and the shop!!! Thank God you are ok...and anyone else on the road, too.

Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom