Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator help

Thanks Bud. I'm hoping that the new alternator will have a pully installed on it already. Wishful thinking??? Some places say they include it. I will not be changing the belt. Like I said, it's only a year old, and MAYBE 1,000 miles on it. Hopefully I can get one ordered next week.... I'll keep everyone posted.

-Tatortot

Can I do it myself? I don't have a puller like Bud was talking about.

-Tatortot

tot...... most autoparts either have one you can rent or just go buy one from them. They are not expensive for that type of use. Some big ones can get pricy though. The bottom bolt can sometimes be a little tough to get out and retightened. Patience will get you there.

......... nut

Alternator pulleys don't require a puller. All you have to do is remove the nut on the shaft and it will fall off. I use an impact gun on the nut and just hold the fan with a glove and hit it once, comes right off

-Tator,

MAKE SURE the pulley for the Belt is correct "V" grooved for your original Alt. belt. Also don't exchange your old one until you get the new one installed.. you may need a puller to get the old pulley off or have the Parts House do it for you.. then make sure the belt alignment is correct ;)

Not as complicated as it sounds, just details son, details ;)

ALSO if you use the old belt, it's a whole lot easier, if you decide on a new belt.... you will need to loosen up "Stuff" to get the other 2 belts off, or figure out a new way to get the new alt. belt on ;)

Bud

You MAY need a puller... -Tator it's not real hard to do this job, just pay attention to the details and don't get real muscle crazy, make sure you take the time to loosen bolts IF needed to move things, and Make sure you Retighten ALL the bolts you loosen.

As for the Belt Tension, I personally use a BAS to get it tight then check for belt play, I like about 1/8" or so then watch the belt as I rev the engine to be sure it isn't whoooobbbblllling all over and the align looks good, the amp gauge is seeing a charge.

If you have a socket set, Boxend/open end wrenches SAE you should be set to go... Just take your time and enjoy the learning experience ;)

Bud

Why don't you rebuild it your self???
they are relatively easy to do!

-tatortot,

Give our ole pal Stingray6974 a call ;) Mike can guide your through a rebuild or maybe get you a replacement fast ;)

Bud

Sorry I haven't kept everyone updated. I decided to just get the higher output alternator from the link I sent. I had it shipped to my parents house (packages get 'lost' at my apartment complex), and I will pick it up this weekend and attempt an install. I'm sure I'll be here posting frantic questions as the install goes horribly wrong. :) :W

-Tatortot

Call me stupid - I just got mine from Advance Auto - Warranty rebuild, came with the pulley installed plus they had the new pigtail I needed as well. It's working but the darn starter I bought seems to be over-heating.

Was it a rebuilt AC Delco? I called 4 local stores and they don't stock Delco alternators anymore. As well as they may or may not work, those are my last option. Thanks for the reply.

-Tatortot

Was it a rebuilt AC Delco? I called 4 local stores and they don't stock Delco alternators anymore. As well as they may or may not work, those are my last option. Thanks for the reply.

-Tatortot

Go to Advance Auto website - fill in the information about your car and location - search through their options on alternators. Are you trying to stay NCRS correct or what?

Hi all,

Took the vette out today and noticed it was charging at only around 12 volts. Then the battery light came on, and the buzzer went off. Also, the choke light came on. This happened before (about 5 years ago) when my other alternator went south. I think I'll try to replace it myself this time. Looks pretty straight forward. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to make sure I get the proper tension on the belt. Also, anyone know of a good place to get a good replacement 70 amp alternator? Mid America is out, ecklers seems to be selling cheap imports, and of course, that is all I will get from Pep Boys or Advanced. I did a seach at gmpartsdirect.com , but they say it is discontinued. Before I make a trip to the dealership, anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, could this problem not be the alternator? Thanks for all replies.

-Tatortot

Try this link: http://www.advanceautoparts.com/?AID=1643149&PID=935724&gclid=CNvU-sKLl44CFQdTHgod7VfpSQ

I did not get an AC-Delco - it's a Palladium 85 amp.

No, not trying to stay original, however I don't think I trust those import brands. Like I said, if I have to use them then I have to use them, but I would like to get something of better quality up front as I think in the long run it will pay off. I'm glad to hear it turned out for you. I may have to go that route.

-Tatortot

I agree with Irishjoker. I got mine (85 amp) from Advance Auto and have had zero problems. Just my 2 cents . Dave :w :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom