Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator help

Here is an update:

Palladium Alternators are actually made by: Delco Remy,
AC-Delco alternators are actually (as of 1994 - Delco Remy) Delco Remy still supplies Alternators to GM. So go ahead and buy the Palladium which is just a brand name for Delco Remy International Corp.

If you need proof please read : http://www.remyinc.com/aboutus/overview.htm

Please allow me to vent....

I don't know why it is so hard for aftermarket parts companies to get you a part that actually fits exactly the way the original did, but apparently it's not as simple as it seems. I got the new alternator, and went to install it. Got the old one off (Wow that lower bolt is a PITA!!). Everything is going swimmingly... THEN I go to drop in the new alternator and I see that EVERYTHING is reversed. The terminals are on the wrong ends, and on top of that, the mounting flanges are wrong. The bottom one fits okay in the bracket, but the other one sits on the wrong side of the upper bracket, and on top of that, the bolt hole is too small. :mad

I contacted Mid America 3 separate times to make sure this was going to fit. They better take it back with a full refund. There are scuffmarks on it now, but they'll have to deal. What's even worse is that I see that have the original rebuilt now in stock.

Anyways while driving through town the other day I saw an alternator shop, so I'm going to swing by tomorrow and see if they can rebuild my old one.

I feel better now, thanks for listening. :grouphug:

- Tatortot

:w -tator

Food for thought here...

The "New" alternator may need to have the "Clock Face" moved to match up with your perticular application ;)

SOMETIMES by taking the alternator shell apart and moving it 180 degrees or a turn might make all the connections line up correctly ;) It isn't that uncommon.

I know you're fairly new with DIY so you might want to have a bit more seasoned "wrench" help you out with it or guide you through it ;)

Good Luck -tator we're all pulling for ya ;)

Bud

Thanks Bud.

You are probably right, but I bought this alternator under the impression that that wouldn't have to be done. I was told by the merchant that it would drop right in. I even made sure it came with the pully on it. Unless the flanges can separate from the backing shell, and I don't believe they do with this particular model, it is useless to me. Man, all I needed was an alternator.....

I'll get it fixed up and on it's way soon though, mark my words! :upthumbs

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

-Tatortot

P.S.- I forgot to mention that some rodent "friends" made a paper towel nest just below the driver's side window in the engine bay. Classy joint they chose.

I don't know why it is so hard for aftermarket parts companies to get you a part that actually fits exactly the way the original did, but apparently it's not as simple as it seems. I got the new alternator, and went to install it. Got the old one off (Wow that lower bolt is a PITA!!). Everything is going swimmingly... THEN I go to drop in the new alternator and I see that EVERYTHING is reversed. The terminals are on the wrong ends, and on top of that, the mounting flanges are wrong. The bottom one fits okay in the bracket, but the other one sits on the wrong side of the upper bracket, and on top of that, the bolt hole is too small. :mad

I contacted Mid America 3 separate times to make sure this was going to fit. They better take it back with a full refund. There are scuffmarks on it now, but they'll have to deal. What's even worse is that I see that have the original rebuilt now in stock.

Anyways while driving through town the other day I saw an alternator shop, so I'm going to swing by tomorrow and see if they can rebuild my old one.

I feel better now, thanks for listening. :grouphug:

- Tatortot

Send it back.

I sent the incorrect alternator back today, and the correct, AC Delco rebuilt alternator is on its way. Second time's a charm?

-Tatortot

P.S. Bud- I inspected the incorrect alternator to see if I could flip the mounting flange 180 degrees, but unfortunately there were alightnment holes/studs that would not match up if I flipped it.

Big update

Okay, got the correct, AC Delco alternator today, and installed it with NO problems. I was surprised how easy it was to get it back in. The battery was extremely dead as the last time I drove it was on battery power, and it's been over a month of just sitting. I hooked up my battery recharger, and it only charged it for around half the time it usually does. I went to start her, and nothing. I hear clicking coming from the engine compartment, but that's it. After a few cranks all the lights dimmed. It seems as though the battery can't hold a charge. Battery is only a year old, but I had to recharge it 3 or 4 times this past year due to letting it sit too long. So, I guess what I'm asking is: do you think a new battery would solve my problems, or is it possible I have hooked up the alternator incorrectly???

I snugged the alternator down to where it previously was, and the belt seems nice and tight. I can only move it 1/2 " or so by hand, which I understand is a good thing. I have started her before with no alternator hooked up (belt broke), so this leads me to believe she could crank on only battery.

The only connection problem I had was the side terminal didn't seem to "click" into place, but it is as far as I can push it in. It feels snug too. I hooked up the battery cable with the supplied nut and washer, and I'm assuming the other connections are for ground. They are two star-lugged thick wires, attached to a wire loop holding several vaccuum lines. Anything sound incorrect here? I connected everything exactly the same way as I removed them, but I suppose it is possible I forgot something.

Again, I think it is just a super dead battery.

Thanks for all replies.

-Tatortot

Your current problem is not related to the alternator. Your battery is either dead and/or you have a battery cable problem. What kind of battery charger do you have? It could be a POS and not charging, seen that before. Swap in the battery out of your other vehicle and see if it starts and check the alternator output voltage.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, SIXFOOTER. The charger is a Black & Decker "Simple Start".

I should have also mentioned that the voltmeter was only reading 9-10 volts with the key in accessory mode. I believe it is the battery, but just wanted some outside input. I'll pick up a new battery tomorrow. Thanks again.

-Tatortot

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, SIXFOOTER. The charger is a Black & Decker "Simple Start".

I should have also mentioned that the voltmeter was only reading 9-10 volts with the key in accessory mode. I believe it is the battery, but just wanted some outside input. I'll pick up a new battery tomorrow. Thanks again.

-Tatortot

Batteries can standby quite some time when fully charged. When a battery sits awhile undercharged, sulfation of the cells can occur. Then they are done. Always store a battery fully charged.

Thanks big2bird. I would have (kept it charged) if I could have. Been having some medical problems this past year and it's been a little tough to tinker around with the 'vette.

I know constant draining and jumping/charging is bad for a battery so I suspected that was the problem. I didn't know about the sulfation. Ya learn something new every day!

-Tatortot

sulfation is THE primary cause for battery failure. Its the formation of chrystals on the surface of the plates, which destroys the plate. Todays batteries have very thin plates so there is no fixing it like you could with old ones (70's and older) Sulfation happens when the electrolyte goes away and exposes the plates to air.

Success!

Took my battery to advanced auto and they tested it. Came up super dead. It was still under warrenty so I got a free replacement, plus I upgraded to the "titanium" level. The guy didn't know why the person who sold me the dead battery didn't sell me the upgraded one, as clearly the 'vette needs it.

Got it home and popped it in and she started with no problems. Wow what a great feeling.

Only minor problem is she seems to be perhaps over-charging. When I first started her, she was almost to the first white line on the right, after 13 volts. Not quite there though. After taking her around the block and lettering her idle, she eventually settled down to halfway between the 13 volt mark and the next white line. I put it under severe load too, and it never fell under 13 volts, which it used to do all the time. AC, rear defroster, headlights, everything, and stayed above 13 volts the entire time. It used to get super low and the battery light would illuminate a tiny bit. I don't know if it's the new battery or alternator, but electrically, she's running better than ever.

Assuming this slight over-charging thing isn't a problem, all I have to do now is get her through saftely inspection again and she's all ready to go.

I took pictures of the volt meter, as well as the alternator installed if anyone wants to clue me in on how to post, or, I could email them and post/host them for me.

Thanks for any suggestions and replies.

-Tatortot

:w -Tator,

Take a look HERE XLR8 did a very nice writeup on posting photo's. She did several about posting photo's and attachments. Check out the Test & Help Forum .... ;) and if all fails you can email your photo's to me and I'll size them and post them ;)

Nice work young -Tator (-Tator = code for junior Jedi ;) )

Bud

Okay, here's a test picture. It is what my voltmeter was reading soon after startup. What do ya think?

-Tator

Edit: Holy smokes it worked!!

And here are two of the install. The second picture I was trying to show how much slack is on the belt.

-Tator

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom