Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

alternator removal

• Thread starter Thread starter dennisinmaryland
  • Start date Start date
D

dennisinmaryland

I need some help...like now...

Trying to remove the alt from my 67 to take to Carlisle in the morning and I have all the bolts out, but there seems to be some kind of bushing still holding the alt in the bracket. How do I remove this to get the alt out? Bushing has a gap in the top and is sticking out of the rear side of the bracket.
:confused

Dennis

just saw your post as I'm heading out to the fairgrounds nnow. A couple of hours drive for me.
sorry, I wish I could help and answer your question but I have no clue
:(

hope to run into you out there.

Barry

Tap the bushing back so it doens't stick out. Both ends flush. Then lift hard and wiggle the dist. out.

dennisinmaryland said:
I need some help...like now...

Trying to remove the alt from my 67 to take to Carlisle in the morning and I have all the bolts out, but there seems to be some kind of bushing still holding the alt in the bracket. How do I remove this to get the alt out? Bushing has a gap in the top and is sticking out of the rear side of the bracket.
:confused

Dennis,

I just saw this post. Sorry, it's probably too late.

Anyway, the problem you seem to be having is with the moveable sleeve/spacer that does two jobs. One - it allows you to adjust the forward/rearward position of the alternator within the bracket to help align the pulley with the waterpump pulley, and; TWO - the sleeve serves to provide the proper inside diameter for the long bolt on which the alternator pivots on the bracket. The front and rear bracket holes are of different diameter without the sleeve in the rear hole.

If you have a long, narrow drift (or even narrow, flat screwdriver), run it through the front hole (assuming bolt removed) and try to catch the edge of the sleeve in the second hole. Carefully tap, tap, tap the drift until the sleeve moves sufficiently to get the alternator free of the bracket.

Well Bob, maybe too late for me to take it to Carlisle, but it was greatly appreciated, much welcome advice. And it worked, but boy was that mother in there tight!
I'm still in that stage where I'm afraid to force something and screw it up badly. But, as Tom Cruise said in "Risky Business," sometimes you just gotta say "What the ****" and go for it.
Barry, good to meet you and the Mrs at Carlisle. The car looks good! Also kinda funny to hear about what happened when you fired it up and had to use the duster on your stallmates car. Always fun to learn, isn't it?

67HEAVEN said:
Dennis,

I just saw this post. Sorry, it's probably too late.

Anyway, the problem you seem to be having is with the moveable sleeve/spacer that does two jobs. One - it allows you to adjust the forward/rearward position of the alternator within the bracket to help align the pulley with the waterpump pulley, and; TWO - the sleeve serves to provide the proper inside diameter for the long bolt on which the alternator pivots on the bracket. The front and rear bracket holes are of different diameter without the sleeve in the rear hole.

If you have a long, narrow drift (or even narrow, flat screwdriver), run it through the front hole (assuming bolt removed) and try to catch the edge of the sleeve in the second hole. Carefully tap, tap, tap the drift until the sleeve moves sufficiently to get the alternator free of the bracket.

Dennis

it was great to finally meet you and your son there! wish you called me before you parked outside the gates as there was a spot right in front of my clubs tent.
oh well, hopefully i'll get to see one of your cars another time.
Thanks for the compliment on BABY but you and I both know she wasn't looking her best........yet. Hopefully over the Fall and Winter I'll get a lot of the things done to her that I wasn't able to get done this summer. You know - the hood, the ding on the fender my wife put in, the door (enough said on THAT subject as I still feel like an idiot!), windshield and rear window gaskets and new trim, and some minor interior issues. Geez, that list got long pretty fast didn't it. sheesh!
By next years show i'm hoping BABY will be looking a LOT better than she did this year. She will never be in the same league as Rick's LADY, but that's ok. LOL

yep, at the 12:00 Chip Miller "Rev your engine" I did make a bit of a mess to my neighboring cars because of my sidepipes. When I got out of the car and saw what I did I'm just glad the owners of those cars weren't there right than and I could brush their cars off before they got back. Of course, both cars on either side just happened to be 'verts so I wonder if they ever noticed the extra bit of dust and grass on the inside of their cars........opps.
hey, if anyone on here happened to be the ones in the 63' - '67 registry parking parked right next to me and it was your car that I got a bit dusty all I can say is I'm REALLY SORRY!!!!
:)
Well, I'll know to be more careful next year. I tend to learn from my f***-ups just like I did with my blistered hood at the one show in the spring. At least I was finally able to get that air cleaner cover I wanted. I knew I wasn't leaving the show without THAT. I actually told the company my story on that and when they heard my car was at the show and the hood not repaired yet they came over and took pics of it so they can use it as an example on their website. BABY may get national exposure now. LOL

BarryK said:
yep, at the 12:00 Chip Miller "Rev your engine" I did make a bit of a mess to my neighboring cars because of my sidepipes. When I got out of the car and saw what I did I'm just glad the owners of those cars weren't there right than and I could brush their cars off before they got back. Of course, both cars on either side just happened to be 'verts so I wonder if they ever noticed the extra bit of dust and grass on the inside of their cars........opps.
I was in the media hospitality tent, right next to the tent full of "Racer's Reunion" race cars, waiting for lunch to be served, when "Rev It Up" time came - talk about a perfect location and timing - when all those race cars fired up through 4" open sidepipes, it was amazing - love the smell of Turbo Blue at lunchtime! :D
:beer

JohnZ said:
I was in the media hospitality tent, right next to the tent full of "Racer's Reunion" race cars, waiting for lunch to be served, when "Rev It Up" time came - talk about a perfect location and timing - when all those race cars fired up through 4" open sidepipes, it was amazing - love the smell of Turbo Blue at lunchtime! :D
:beer

wow, that must have been something hearing all those Race cars rev it up!
must have been music to the ears.
I wasn't far away at all from the race cars so i'm surprised I didn't hear them but than again I could barely hear my own car (with sidepipes), because of one of the Lingerfelter C5's that was right across from me. That C5 was blown and was LOUD but it was a much higher pitched sound as opposed to a deep throaty roar as i'm sure the race cars were.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom