Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aluminium radiator for an '88 - re Boomdriver.

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
Hi all, I've got the ole OEM plastic radiator problem, leaking at the seams. So I'd like to get the same aluminium one that Boom used as a replacement, some time ago. I had put the link in my favourites but cannot now access it. Anyone know it ? A link would be much appreciated.......Roger.

Hi all, I've got the ole OEM plastic radiator problem, leaking at the seams. So I'd like to get the same aluminium one that Boom used as a replacement, some time ago. I had put the link in my favourites but cannot now access it. Anyone know it ? A link would be much appreciated.......Roger.

Hey Roger...

Mines STILL going strong despite the $200 price tag ! Still looks like new inside...still keeps my temps stable, and still don;t leak. Been running right at 188 with a/c in 85 degree ambients. Had this been a normal winter I would have had to inetall a 190 or 200 degree thermostat to have a heater. I was driving around town when it was 50-60 outside and never having my engine fans come on ! I'd see the temps climb and then go down and I was trying to figure out why. Then it dawned on me that it was not getting hot enough to trigger the fan circuit, so it might climb close but as soon as I started moving again it dropped like a stone to below the 180 t-stat. There were days when I doubt that the T-stat even opened. I'm satisfied with this radiator. I have heard in the past few months that they were back-ordered for certain models yrs. You'll have to check and see if they are back in stock. IIRC mine had some kind of paper work or tag somewhere that indicated a build in Chicago ILL...Not Peking as some folks like to think. Some people believe that if its not over-priced then it must be Chinese...not necessarily. Some products are just over-priced and the mfg's sees the Corvette crowd comin from a mile away...and prices their product accordingly ! ;LOL

items in Engineered Cooling Products store on eBay! :thumb

I think the price is about the same. I paid $209 and that came with new cap, low sensor, trans cooler fittings and all the required stuff. Not a cheap knock-off by any stretch of the imagination. I looked at that unit sitting next to a DW and could see no obvious difference, except the price. Oh, mine was 1/4" fatter so I struggled with a razor blade to trim the rubber mounting block......:chuckle

Actually, I just had my top shroud off when I changed a water pump and wanted to flush any debris out...and found the usual collection of hiway trash.. but the radiator was perfect. No bent fins like the stock unit had when trash went inbetween. Heavier grade of aluminum.

Hi Boom, Thanks very much, I've ordered it directly from their site. A little cheaper than through Ebay. Cant wait to get my hands on it (if you know what I mean). Much appreciated......Roger.

Hi Boom, Thanks very much, I've ordered it directly from their site. A little cheaper than through Ebay. Cant wait to get my hands on it (if you know what I mean). Much appreciated......Roger.

YW.. :beer

I was very surprized to see that there are a handful of mfg now that offer a real double row all aluminum thats a full 2 inch and not a BS 3 row thats actually only 1 3/4" thick... The price has even dropped a bit. There were a couple of these 2" alums that were under $200...thats cheap !

As far as quality..
with todays welding technology its fair to say that a welded radiator that looks like it has good welds on aluminum is most likely a good product. A large percentage are machine or robot welded, assembly line and the rest are done with state of the art TIG that beginners aren't practicing on. It takes skill to weld thin-skin aluminum tanks. The beads on my "cheapo" double row are like a drop of honey running down the side of the jar....smooth, straight and seamless. That thing was so pretty that I almost hung it on the wall in the living room instead of installing it in my car ! :chuckle

I looked at the company's web site, too. Wow. Amazing prices on the early C4 and C5 radiators.

I have a OEM rad sitting in my garage if pay for the shipping you can have it it out my 86 Vett.

I looked at the company's web site, too. Wow. Amazing prices on the early C4 and C5 radiators.

I did as well, cannot believe the price. Too bad they are not made for late C4's. If they are as good as Boom says the are and from the pictures it appears so, great deal!!

I was very surprized (and pleased) to see how many folks have jumped onboard to produce some big all aluminum radiators for cars that are pushin 30...and the prices ? :thumb I noticed one double row for $185....w/trans cooler. That ain;t bad. Mine @ $209 was a bargin, or so I thought. I have nothing to complain about. It has a big plate type trans cooler, not a tube, its performed very well and only cost a little more than a stock unit. When I bought that there were not very many options...Champion, DW, and maybe...2 others on flea-bay. Now I see at least a 1/2 doz mfg. Good news for C4 owners.

Hi all, Radiator received. As Boom said, it looks really good. Had to get the mechanic to install it, as we aren't allowed to raise the hood on our cars, where I live (new, to me, city rules). He said it was a little wider as well, so needed to be trimed back for that, as well, also there wasn't enough gap to allow use of the supplied cap, my old one is fine. Works perfectly, very pleased.......Roger.

Hey Boom, Do you know if my ordinary '88 differs from your '87, as far as radiator size ?........Roger.

I do not think so...unless its the stick or auto trans difference with the cooler. Same engine, few differences in accessory mounting, not much else.
Glad to hear its in and done. :thumb Nice feeling knowing that you now have a little margin for error in the cooling dept. Mine was just slightly wider and thicker and needed 1/4" trimmed off the mounting block. Did that with a razor in 2 minutes and it fits like a glove.

Once again, mines sucked up an oak tree and doing weird things in the temp gauge....bouncing 40 degrees and the water pump is new, rad is great shape...so it has to be trash sucked up thru the nose. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend...its not summer yet and I'm not going to risk over heating because of junk on the radiator....so I guess I get to take the shroud off and do some housekeeping. Hope thats it and not a bad thermostat...thats messier.

OK, I guess they're pretty much similar. Good point re; auto v manual. For so long I wished mine was manual but, now I'm generally happy. It's making me a bit lazy though........Roger,,;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom