Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aluminum Water Pump

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
I'm looking to replace the water pump on my 77 and would like to go with aluminum. I am looking at the Stewart product line. If I understand them, the Stage 1 line is cast iron with part number 13103 being the correct application. The Stage 2 line is aluminum with part # 23103 being the correct application. Stage 2 indicates that they are high flow. I have read that high flow is not necessary for a fairly stock engine and can even decrease the cooling moving the water through the radiator too quickly.

Can someone comment on this and any other aluminum water pumps that would provide good value? I've also been looking at the Edelbrock Victor Series. I ran across an article by Hib Halverson where he was high on these units. The GMPP aluminum water pump got good marks as well, though I can't find that one anywhere. Do you just go to the Chevy dealer?

Bob

I put one of the Stewart high flow pumps on my 90 Vette and it has made a world of difference. Highly recommend them

tom...

I would go with the Edelbrock Victor series.

One other question on the two. The Stewart aluminum requires a special thermostat because of not having a bypass. Is this the same for the Edelbrock?

If not, and all things are equal, I would lean to the lesser work.;shrug

I'm running the stewart cast iron and love it.the cast pump is much more durable. has great bearings good at any rpm.
Also a direct bolt on replacement for stock

bobchad said:
The Stewart aluminum requires a special thermostat because of not having a bypass.
???? I am running a stock thermostat on my 90, so ??????

I just looked at the Stewart web site and could not firm that. They do recommend the Robert Shaw thermostat but it is not a requirement. The R/S 'stat is just more reilable then most.

tom...

Tom,

From the Stewart web site:

"Note: These Stage 2 high flow water pumps require a Stewart/Robert Shaw high performance thermostat for proper performance, click here for more information."

Bob

Bob,
I cannot believe that I missed that on their web site :hb

But if you check the Tech Tips, why they are recommending/requiring that 'stat is that it is a high flow 'stat. With a high flow water pump, a standard 'stat can cause a restriction reducing the water flow and canceling out the benefit of the high flow pump. So you can use an R/S 'stat or another high flow 'stat.

Sounds as if you would need to do this with any high flow water pump.

tom...

AC Delco has a stock aluminum pump # 14011012, I'm leaning towards this because I have a stock L82 and don't think I need a high volume pump either.

I wouldn't mind going with the Edelbrock-Victor series for anything in my engine compartment. (Just cuz it's my name!!) :)
-Vic

Ordered the water pump today from Sallee. Was told that this pump does not need a high flow thermostat. If it does, an easy enough change at a later time.

Edelbrock 8812 Water Pump SBC Standard Rotation Water Pump - Short Style, 3/4" pilot shaft, fits all 1971-82 SBC Corvettes. -- $139.32

Should I use some kind of sealant on the gaskets? I know people have recommended teflon type or sealant (RTV?) on the bolts that hold it on.

Bob

bobchad said:
Tom,

From the Stewart web site:

"Note: These Stage 2 high flow water pumps require a Stewart/Robert Shaw high performance thermostat for proper performance, click here for more information."

Bob

It's important to note here that the Robertshaw thermostat Stewart sells is modified by them with additional holes to compensate for their water pumps not having a bypass passage, and is a requirement for proper operation of their pump; it's NOT the same Robertshaw thermostat you buy in an auto parts store.
:beer

bobchad said:
Should I use some kind of sealant on the gaskets? I know people have recommended teflon type or sealant (RTV?) on the bolts that hold it on.Bob
YES. Plain old silicone (I like red) will do fine on gaskets & threads. One of the bolts (I recall it is lower driver side?) screws into a water passage & needs sealant ... but won't hurt a thing to dope all 4. Permatex #2 also as good or better than silicone for water pump bolts & gaskets ... looks like hen turd in a tube ... also real good for t'stat housing.
JACK:gap

John, Thanks for clarifying the reason. I knew I had read that somewhere but couldn't find it and didn't want to misinform.

Jack, looks Like hen turd it is.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Getting the water pump today and am preparing for the installation. I was looking through my shop manual for the torque specs on the pump to block bolts and can't find them.

Does anyone know what they are?

Bob

Bob,

You better have that bad boy ready for the cruise in 2 weeks!!!! :s

See you on the 13th! BTW, what time are you leaving and are you meeting up somewhere. We still have not figured out what time to leave to head up there!

LARRY :cool

Thanks Dave.

Larry, won't be a problem. Last night I scraped the old gasket off and painted what I could reach with Chevy Engine blue. (Wish I could find that for a brush application rather than spraying it into a container and brushing it on). I want to put another coat on tonight and should have the water pump and power steering pump replaced this weekend.

I was going to change out the rear spring as well but after reading some of the posts about people having problems getting the rear of the car to sit down, I decided to wait until I get back. I was also a little concerned about changing the handling characteristics and then first thing taking it for an aggressive drive.

My conflict resolved so we'll be there on time. It looks like Steve wants to meet at 9am and leave by 10, which means people will start showing up at 9:30 and we'll leave between 10:30 and 11.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom