Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Am I a lead foot?

Sharondippity

Corvette
2001 Torch Red Coupe
I have automatic transmission in my 2001, and sometimes when I punch it, there is a HUGE delay between punch and go time. It's like being thrown into neutral. Am I a lead foot or is it something I should have looked at?

3 full seconds. Bleh.

one onethousands
two onethousands
three onethousands

Thats along time

I know when I step on the wifes C5 is seams like an eternity (but probably milisecounds) before it takes off.

OK - Let's play 1,000 questions...

WOW - that is along time...

Does it fall on it's face or just hesitate?
How many miles are on it?
Has ur tranny ever been serviced?
When is the last time you ran some injectors cleaner thru it?
Does it hesitate every time ya lead foot it! ;)
Have ya ever lead footed it cold and did it hesitate?
Are ya throwing any codes?

Hey - Paul where are ya at....

Why do you drive a Red Corvette? ;LOL

WOW - that is along time...

Does it fall on it's face or just hesitate?
It sounds like it's thrown into neutral, spins, then goes 3 secs later. Typically I'm already in 2nd gear already when it does this. I think so anyway. First gear never lets me down.
How many miles are on it?
Has ur tranny ever been serviced?
nope
When is the last time you ran some injectors cleaner thru it?
never, please advise what kind and how and I'll do it pronto
Does it hesitate every time ya lead foot it! ;)
Not first gear, bless its heart. Typically it's from 2nd or 3rd that doesn't behave like I'd like
Have ya ever lead footed it cold and did it hesitate?
It's never cold here so I don't know ha ha ha. Also, I don't punch it if I don't have to when the engine's cold(ish)
Are ya throwing any codes?
nope

Hey - Paul where are ya at....

Why do you drive a Red Corvette? ;LOL

Because I can, silly.

When was your last basic tune up? Sounds like it might just need some lovin.

I'll try the injector stuff. But I think she's getting plenty of gas, it's the gears that don't engage, or slip. It's like gunning it in neutral. The engine goes ZZZZ but no go.

It never hurts to clean the injectors.

The engine goes ZZZZ but no go.
That definitely sounds like a tranny problem. Maybe you've been doing to many:louwith ur big lead foot. ;LOL

When is the last time ya checked ur tranny's fluid level? ;shrug

You can also smell the transmition fluid to see if it smells burnt, or is gritty. Look for metal particles.

did you buy new or used?
some people like a "loose" converter which allows the engine to rev up to a more powerful range before "hooking up" its a long shot but possible.

has it always done it?

check the trans level at 27,000 you should not need a change yet.

I've never riden in a C5 auto but the trans in it should shift quickly unless something is out of adjustment (kickdown or TV cable) or worn clutches.

all Corvettes are RED the rest are waiting to be repainted ;LOL

I would first have the fluid level checked in the transmission. The automatic depends on transmission fluid to engage the clutch plates that shift between gears. The clutches are controlled by valves in the valve body that determine which clutches are engaged at what speed and throttle conditions. All the valves that control downshifting are controlled by the engine computer.

Look under the rear to see if there are any leaks at the transmission and axle shaft seals. If you're leaking fluid, and low on tranny fluid, the whole system won't work right.
If the system is filled to the proper level, I would suspect that one of your valves is sticking or something is preventing the fluid pressure from engaging the clutches. Possibly a fluid and filter change will solve the problem, maybe not. Definately have it checked out as soon as possible, it is not normal to spin like that.

Some tests that you can do:

1) Manually shift the gear shifter to select the gear you want to be in. Be careful to avoid shifting at too high an RPM. If it slips in automatic, but not manually, it could be a a control problem with the computer

2) Automatic Downshifting.
At 25-30 MPH, full throttle will downshift into 1st gear, then upshift to 2nd,3rd, overdrive.
At 55-60 MPH, full throttle will downshift into 2nd gear, then upshift to 3rd, overdrive.

3) Lockout/lockup of the torque converter.
At highway speed and steady throttle, lightly step on the brake pedal without engaging the brakes. The torque converter will lockout and the engine will increase in RPM slightly. Then release the brake pedal. After a few seconds the torque converter will lockup and reduce the engine RPM's slightly.

You have had your Vette long enough to know what's normal by now, and it sounds like you have a problem, sure enough.

HI there,
Sometimes is the key here.
Why only sometimes??
Do you have any leakage?
If you are stating 2 to 3, then that would be an upshift on acceleration, when at WOT????
Shift would be at about 5500-6000 rpm.
Also, is it more when you are cruising at say 60 and then you mat the pedal, creating a 4 to 2 downshift that you are feeling the issue????
Any and all details are critical to accurate diagnosis of the condition.
This is transmission related and all other issues can be put on the back page.
Allthebest, :hb

I will work on a more accurate test drive. I thought it might be common so I threw it out there, but I will try and narrow down exactly when it's happening.

I wonder, does Active Handling "correct" this type of driving? I didn't see it come on. The only time I've seen the Active Handling kick in, is from leaving the hand car wash I go to, the wax on the bricks invariably causes a little bit of fishtailing upon exit, and the chime and dash alert me it's on.

I think it's the downshift from 4 to 2 that does this, this was mentioned twice here to test. Will do a little testing and report.

Oh, and there's no leaks, no creaks nor rattles, this car is garaged every night and the floor is clean underneath.

I wonder, does Active Handling "correct" this type of driving? I didn't see it come on. The only time I've seen the Active Handling kick in, is from leaving the hand car wash I go to, the wax on the bricks invariably causes a little bit of fishtailing upon exit, and the chime and dash alert me it's on.
The active handling only engages if the rear tires lose traction. The car wash thing is normal for slippery pavement.

I think it's the downshift from 4 to 2 that does this, this was mentioned twice here to test. Will do a little testing and report.
Let us know how it acts.:)

Be careful out there.:w

Sharon,
I'll expand briefly on what Pete wrote in the post above mine. When you see the "Active Handling Warming Up" message on the DIC, it doesn't mean that the system is in some warm up mode. It means it has detected wheel slippage, and is recalibrating based upon your speed, tire angle, and some other variables which direction is straight ahead for the car. The message goes away once that recalibration cycle is completed.

Pete is correct- when you are somewhere which has wet surfaces prone to traction loss, getting this message is quite common.

:w
-Patrick

Sharon,

Mine is an A4 with the performance rear axle and mine seemed to take longer than it should when I dropped from say 50 mph and it forced it from 4th to 2nd. It seemed to take a little bit for that HUGE surge to hit but it was a lot faster from 20 or so dropping to 1st. The car was not well-maintained before I got it so I attributed some to that and began using Techron as Dwayne advise in his post as soon as I got it. Being impatient, I dumped a can of BG 44k in the gas tank and had the car tuned up and replaced the brown tranny fluid with Mobil1.

OMG, now that thing downshifts quick and hard and howls. The performance change was night and day. It's rare for me to punch it at 20-30 and not break traction and occasionally enough to activate the Active Handling warning.

BTW, mine has 64k on the clock and I commute in it about 10k a year plus about 4-5k on trips. As for my driving style, since I commute in some pretty heavy traffic I don't get into it too often, maybe a few times a week. I do tend to accelerate pretty hard when turning right on red or coming off of an onramp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom