Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: AM radio issues

Ted

Corvette
77 T top coup and 99 Coup
Have a 99 Coup with radio problems. FM and 12 disc CD player work fine, but the AM radio is all static. Absolutely no sound except the static.
Any suggestions?

AM Radio, what's that? :D I don't think I've ever had the AM portion of any of my Corvettes (going back 12 years) even turned on. Mine may have not worked either. :L I can only assume that the FM and Am use the same antennae, so my original thought of "check the antennae connection" is an invalid point. That leaves me to think that there's a problem with the radio itself. ;shrug I do hope you get it figured out. :thumb

... I can only assume that the FM and Am use the same antennae, so my original thought of "check the antennae connection" is an invalid point...

I want to say they have different antennas, but everything may go through a single wiring harness. The antenna(s) in the C5 coupes are integrated into the windows as I recall, so making sure the AM antenna and it's connection is undamaged isn't a bad thought.

This video deals with an aftermarket radio head replacement in a C5, but still may give you some insight into something to investigate. Good luck!

Have a 99 Coup with radio problems. FM and 12 disc CD player work fine, but the AM radio is all static. Absolutely no sound except the static.
Any suggestions?

Have a 99 also and same issue with AM. Actually FM isn't all that good either. Stations I pick up clear as a bell in my daily driver can't be found in the vette. I need to set aside a day to chase the assorted gremlins in the car and replace both DRL assemblies. Will be watching this thread.

My C5's FM is excellent. It has two antennas, one in the front windshield and one in the upper part of the rear hatch window.. It is a diversity antenna system designed to deliver the best FM radio signal reception by switching to the best reception.
[FONT=&quot]Basically with FM, the strongest signal wins.[/FONT] I do not know how the AM system works. AFA AM. I've never used it as there isn't much on AM I want to listen to without digging into the FSM I do not know how it works... With the differential FM system and poor reception; I'd check the coax connections to see if they are tight and not corroded.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom